Hiwatt Lead 100w - what the deal with it???

The Filth

Hey all,

I love Hiwatt amps. Well, in theory at least. I've never really even played one, only models of them, and of course I've heard them as used by some of my favorite players-- Gilmour in particular--on some great live recordings. I'm aware of the sound and general vibe of the DR103, DR504, and all of the variations on theme, including the SA20 studio amp.

Needless to say, I've been looking to get one and have been doing some research, and for some reason there's this gigantic void of information about any other amps they've ever manufactured. In particular there's the "LEAD" series they made sometime in the 80s I believe. There's a good number of them on Reverb and so on, but I can't find any information about them.

So, I'm turning to all of you; what the deal with the CUSTOM LEAD 100, 50, etc etc?

Muchas gracias,
Max

Most seem to want the 70’s era heads. I remember in the mid to late 80’s seeing alot of the “new” ones. Never tried any.

Looked a long time to find the 74 Dr103 I have. Its awesome at what it does, which is what I wanted it for.

The “lead” amps from the 80’s (earlier ones anyway) are a lot more Marshall voiced. Basically Hiwatt chasing the hard rock crowd that was being dominated by 800’s. They actually sound pretty good (I prefer the non reverb models). Two channel with a nice clean. Probability PCB mounted pots etc but can’t say for sure. Not the hi quality construction of the earlier Hiwatts but probably fine. Don’t know of any issues they had. The Lead 30 is EL84’s and a cool little “Marshall” in Hiwatt clothing.

The “lead” amps from the 80’s (earlier ones anyway) are a lot more Marshall voiced. Basically Hiwatt chasing the hard rock crowd that was being dominated by 800’s. They actually sound pretty good (I prefer the non reverb models). Two channel with a nice clean. Probability PCB mounted pots etc but can’t say for sure. Not the hi quality construction of the earlier Hiwatts but probably fine. Don’t know of any issues they had. The Lead 30 is EL84’s and a cool little “Marshall” in Hiwatt clothing.
This is all right on the money. “Sterling Imports” was the company that manufactured the amps in Modesto Ca. Other guitar player in my band of many years did all the tolex on all the cabinets. The 30 watters are killer. More gain than any of the 70’s amps for sure, but the construction is not nearly as sturdy. Never heard one of the 100 watt amps honestly. Worth a try for the right price. Oh, by the way, if any of you ever see a Sterling era cabinet……buy it as quick as possible. Probably the best I’ve ever played. Didn’t come with Fanes, but the ones with the Celestion 85’s were so good.

Sorry to hijack, Steve does your friend still do any of that work. I have a few 70s marshall 412s that need some work by the right guy.

Sorry to hijack, Steve does your friend still do any of that work. I have a few 70s marshall 412s that need some work by the right guy.
He can still do it and he is good, but you’d have to catch him when he is down here. He lives in Washington. He’ll be here a few times this year for some recording we are doing and I already have him scheduled to work on the head shell for my DR504. I’m sure he would help out if you have the materials? I’ll let you know when he is coming in…..

Let's make it happen, it would be great to see you again. If u can give me an idea of a timeline I'll get what I think is needed brother.

Have you considered the new Sound City amps (Fryette built)?

I have the Master Lead 50 from that line and it's incredible IMO

Back