4x12 cabinet to pair with my Friedman JJ-100

Nickelbagn

I run my JJ with a slant front Marshall right now and I love it, but I’m curious as to what other cabs would sound good with it. What other sound profiles are you getting from your cabinets when paired with a Friedman? I play in an old school old school hardcore/metal band but I’m also looking for something versatile.

I’m not exactly sure, to be honest. It’s a 1960A from around 2003.

If it's got the Marshall Vintage (30's) then grab a couple of Greenbacks and put them in the top, wired series, in parallel with the Vintages on bottom (also in series). You can use the mono/stereo jack to make it easier but know that Dave uses @raiken 's 4x12 diagram which is parallel at the jack, whereas the Marshall is series at the jack.

https://www.aikenamps.com/index.php...series-parallel-or-parallel-series-connection
Installing a switch to put in the extra wire in play for s/p or p/s operation is neat, neat, neat!

I tried a few different cabinets and settled on the Friedman 4X12. The mix of Greenbacks and V30s is extreme versatile and can get you many tones with the JJ.

If you play mainly hard rock or metal, you may want to swap the Greenbacks for all V30s, or a mix of V30s, Creamback H75s or some other speaker to balance out the V30s mids. I find all V30s too much, so I mix mine with Mesa C90s in an X pattern.

All that being said, swapping is not necessary, and going with the cabinet stock is awesome too.

For my JJ-100 I prefer all greenbacks. I do run mine with V30’s sometimes but for what I usually like to do with this amp, the greenies just sound and feel right on their own.

I picked up a Mojotone 1960 straight cab that matches the JJ aesthetically and loaded it with their rebadged Celestion G12C’s (Watchtowers).

I tried a few different cabinets and settled on the Friedman 4X12. The mix of Greenbacks and V30s is extreme versatile and can get you many tones with the JJ.

If you play mainly hard rock or metal, you may want to swap the Greenbacks for all V30s, or a mix of V30s, Creamback H75s or some other speaker to balance out the V30s mids. I find all V30s too much, so I mix mine with Mesa C90s in an X pattern.

All that being said, swapping is not necessary, and going with the cabinet stock is awesome too.
I've seen a lot of people speak highly of the Friedman 2x12. Of course, I wouldn't mind having a smaller cabinet to lug around if it didn't sound marginally different than a 4x12, but I'm curious as to if there is a noticeable difference.

Anybody with experience with both a Friedman 4x12 AND 2x12?

I’m not exactly sure, to be honest. It’s a 1960A from around 2003.
It's probably got G12T75's. For your style of music V30's are probably the way to go. The Friedman cabs are great but so are Marshalls and lots of others. I'd start with just changing the top 2 speakers in your current cab to V30's and see how you like it.

For punch nothing beats a 4x12. Try some 2x12's and see if you can live with the compromise, that's a question only you can answer.

Back