ESP full thickness Eclipse?

Fusionbear

Talk to me about these. Do they get the LP tones with modern, usable ergonomics? I hate the ergonomics on LP's, that's why I don't play them...

I don't have either, but the differences I like are the satin finish on the ESP, and the price. Other than that, doesn't seem to be much else. I do like that at least someone is paying attention to thicker bodies. Schecter is going thin, and everyone else is already thin. Oh yeah, not a fan at all of the volume so close to the bridge and PU. My old solo 6 has it/them the f*ck outta the way, just like a real LP.

I had a couple LTD's that were "full thickness" - I think was the MIK 1000-series CTM version? 22 frets, double bound, full thickness... Anyway, they were great playing/sounding guitars. Felt great too.

But of course, that's all subjective. ;)

There's a full thickness "black beauty"with fishmans and an evertune In the first 2022 release. Looks killer. I'm gonna grab one. The only difference build wise from a Les Paul would be the neck angle in relation to the body I believe. It is flatter.

Hey Fusionbear, I'm interested in the eclipses as well. I don't think the all the full thickness models have the belly cut on the back unless they started in 2022. As far as I know the EII has the belly cut but is not full thickness on all models and the pictures are so close sometimes it's hard to tell which bodies are full thickness and which ones are not.

While I can't tell you if they sound just like a LP, I can say that the feel, craftsmanship & ergonomics (especially with the sculpted heel) blows Big G away.

It's easy to tell if it's FT actually- look at the jack plate. 4 bolt square = full thickness. 2 bolt not square = slim profile.

I bought one right before I bought my Gibson LP and it's a nice guitar but if you want a Gibson I don't think it's a substitute. It's a damn good guitar though. I would have kept it if it was the newer spec'd version.

I had the FT USA Eclipse as well. Phenomenal guitar in every way. Epic craftsmanship & playability. I've just never OWNED a real LP (just played, and the QC was always so shit I couldn't buy one).

I've also owned a lot of MIJ ESPs and know what to expect from the quality. All the new stuff with the sculpted heel plays amazing.

I suspect the tone isn't dead nuts the same, so have to ask, what's most important?

My esp jh-3 is a fullthickness ec, its one of my favorite guitars i own, sounds and feels great, it definately sounds thicker than my other eclipse models that arent fullthickness, but it doesnt sound or feel like my custom shop les pauls, the esp sounds more modern and the finish is poly and the neck is thinner, so its a different guitar than my les pauls which have thicker necks, nitro finish, and different pickups, but if i had to compare one of my les pauls in tone with the esp it would be my zakk wylde LP because it has emgs and my fullthickness eclipse has emgs,

But even then they are still are a little different sounding because of the chunky mids on the les paul. But if your looking for les paul type guitar but in a more modern way, then go for a FT eclipse, i dont think you will be disappointed, im really happy with mine, but if i compare it to a les paul i will say it is a little different but not in a bad way.

Mine (USA with belly cut) plays better than my 77 LP Standard, but the LP just has that chunk to it. ESP sounds great too, but LP is fuller across the EQ spectrum if that makes sense?

I have a pair of (old neck joint) FT Eclipses along with a few regular Eclipses and a few Les Pauls. The FT compared to the regular thickness Eclipses has a bit more lower mids which makes it seem fatter/bigger in the room.

In terms of the FT vs a Les Paul, they have a lot of the same sonic characteristics.

For those who aren't aware, the modern USA Eclipses have been chambered since they were introduced in 2014.

It's easy to tell if it's FT actually- look at the jack plate. 4 bolt square = full thickness. 2 bolt not square = slim profile.

Not necessarily.

173hFHBh.jpg

Not necessarily.

173hFHBh.jpg
My question is does ESP do a full thickness guitar with a belly cut? I know some CTM 100o models have no belly cut and a more traditional less sculpted neck joint.

My other thoughts on Eclipse vs Les Pauls is I don't necessarily like the traditional neck joint and no belly cut on a les paul, for me that's what makes them uncomfortable to play. I might actually like the Eclipse normal thickness model with the belly cut but do they have neck dive issues like a Gibson SG while you are wearing them, I really don't like neck dive in any guitar when I let go of the neck? Are the normal thickness EI and EII's, still 8/9 lbs do they have enough body weight to not neck dive on the player? I would consider 1000LTD but I don't like that the bodies on those are not maple capped so that would lead me to an E I or EII model for me.

I looked at an ESP 256 model and the body was extremely thin for my taste but i have yet to play an actuall EII eclipse only because no one local has them in stock.

Neither of my ESPs do, but some of the LTDs do and I think the modern E-II guitars do. ESP moved to the sculpted neck joint around 2016ish, but they still have guitars with the Gibson style. I think it has to do with the models that are double bound.

7LgQKefl.jpg

LQwapz0l.jpg

Older, Gibson style joint vs newer joint.

None of my Eclipses have neck dive. My lightest normal thickness Eclipse is 7lbs 6oz and the heaviest is 8lbs 15oz. The FT versions are 8lbs 13oz and 8lbs 15oz.

I had a full thickness LTD 400-AT gold top. Just as heavy as my 2010 and 2020 LP's and sounded just as good. Also felt almost identical to my 2010 with a 60's taper neck. The knob placement bothered me though because I am so used to the Gibson layout. That was my only gripe and I would buy another.

I have a pair of (old neck joint) FT Eclipses along with a few regular Eclipses and a few Les Pauls. The FT compared to the regular thickness Eclipses has a bit more lower mids which makes it seem fatter/bigger in the room.

In terms of the FT vs a Les Paul, they have a lot of the same sonic characteristics.

For those who aren't aware, the modern USA Eclipses have been chambered since they were introduced in 2014.
Are any of the Japanese Eclipses solid or are those chambered as well?

Back