RT modded 68 Marshall Major without Mike Audette playing it.......

Everybody has their ‘thing’ - for some it’s a IIC+, for others it’s a Diezel Herbert. For me, this is it.

I’m sure I flatter myself. The RT, Bray, OG Mod 5 all really require clean technique. This style of tone isn’t doing the player the same kind of favors that many of the ‘modern’ amps provide - with ever increasing compression, gain, and low end. But the reward is worth the investment. Maybe I dig how really good players sound plugged into this type of amp.

For better or worse, those are clips I posted up over the last year or so. (That first one makes me wince a bit though... I'm pulling some notes out of tune). None of my clips are proper amp demos where I turn knobs and such. They're just snippets of tones captured from some amps that I really love.

Michael struck gold when he decided to mod a Marshall Major... it's a beast of an amp and I'm super grateful that he was kind enough to help me find this particular amp.

For better or worse, those are clips I posted up over the last year or so. (That first one makes me wince a bit though... I'm pulling some notes out of tune). None of my clips are proper amp demos where I turn knobs and such. They're just snippets of tones captured from some amps that I really love.

Michael struck gold when he decided to mod a Marshall Major... it's a beast of an amp and I'm super grateful that he was kind enough to help me find this particular amp.
All your clips sound great... I really enjoyed listening to them. Even the Morris amp that you have sounds awesome. I was surprised that I liked the BK mules as much as I did.

Were you using the Fryette powerstation to attenuate the 71 Marshall?

Reactions: PDC
All your clips sound great... I really enjoyed listening to them. Even the Morris amp that you have sounds awesome. I was surprised that I liked the BK mules as much as I did.

Were you using the Fryette powerstation to attenuate the 71 Marshall?
Thanks man. Glad you dig the tones. And yeah, the Morris XSIII is a really awesome amp; I like it every bit as much as the Major and the Super Lead, sometimes even more. As for the BK Mules, they are really great in the right guitar. I've tried the bridge mule in an alder body super strat, and it was kind of meh. It sounded much better in my LP and then really amazing in my mahogany Charvel.

Re: the PS100 ... I was using a variac but not the power station for that super lead clip.

Reactions: PDC
If you don't mind me asking, what does the Morris do better than the Audette?

I wouldn't say something is better, more just a matter of preference depending on the day or the tone I'm shooting for. Some days I like the super lead best. It's got the brash, grainy sizzle to it. Sometimes I Iike the Major better because it has more gain available, a more defined bottom end and more compression which smooths out the rough edges just enough. And other times I like the Morris best overall. There's a certain bloom you get from that amp that is hard to describe. It also has a loop and a really great clean channel. All three amps are lifetime keepers for me.

hey man! mind sharing you mic/recording setup?
Sure. It's pretty straight forward... an SM57 and a Royer 121 on a UK Greenback, going into an apogee duet. I added a bit of reverb in GarageBand. I also often run from my guitar into a Strymon El Capistan (set for a slight bit of slap back), and then into the amp.

Back