She’s Fixed!!!! 1984 LPC 🤘

glpg80

Picked up my 1984 Norlin Les Paul Custom from my luthier!!!

Original thread showing before pictures:

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/ngd-1984-norlin-les-paul-custom-update.230916/
She’s a monster :rock: :rock:

New bone nut
New Nashville Style Bridge (Roller original couldnt handle the tension of 10-54 in standard and broke)
New Jescar .110x.057 Jumbo SS frets

New custom radius. I had Stephen go 12” classic up to the 11th fret. From 12-22 the radius is flattened to 14” which feels fucking fantastic on SS frets.

New vintage spec custom arch carved pickup rings (hard AF to find right now)
EMG 81/85s
Replaced 12th fret mother of pearl inlay

0B85DFCA-8850-47C7-96FA-B3D6DC8ED17C.jpeg

7F4D5331-5C07-40DF-A192-C0FE4BF5F86E.jpeg

F571EFB0-3F4A-4D1D-9F3B-07A62953BE24.jpeg

028CCD00-7CAE-48FC-AC57-3FD552681802.jpeg

6460CA35-EAFF-4746-8A6A-E723CB0C992D.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice! Can I ask who did the work? Guy I've been going to for years does great work and also has been super reliable and trustworthy, but he just retired.

Nice! Can I ask who did the work? Guy I've been going to for years does great work and also has been super reliable and trustworthy, but he just retired.
Stephen at Truly Strings did the work

He outdid himself. Absolutely worth his expertise.

Nice...................Somebody is going to be playing alot of Zakk Wylde.......Who do we get on the case? Calling PERRY MASON................

Look awesome, LUV the EMG 81/85's in it and the Jumbo 6100's!

Nice...................Somebody is going to be playing alot of Zakk Wylde.......Who do we get on the case? Calling PERRY MASON................

Look awesome, LUV the EMG 81/85's in it and the Jumbo 6100's!
That song is definitely on my todo list! I need to finish learning road to nowhere and losin’ your mind by ear, perry mason is next :rock:

Thanks for all of the comments dudes!!

In this guitar I had the 81/85 combo installed backwards to Zakk, so 85 is in the bridge. It was originally intended to be a bridge pickup and IMHO i much prefer the bigger lows of an 85 in the bridge as it doesn’t have that tinny sound to your rhythm. The 81 in the neck is super clear.

I might experiment and swap them back one day but for now the 85 in the bridge just fucking slays :rock:

Awesome. I’ll bet she practically plays herself. Nothing chunks like a good LPC. I’ve got a soft spot for Norlins. Some of the best rock/metal of all time was created on Norlin LPCs.

Awesome. I’ll bet she practically plays herself. Nothing chunks like a good LPC. I’ve got a soft spot for Norlins. Some of the best rock/metal of all time was created on Norlin LPCs.
The tobacco burst with the custom inlays and EMGs just screams southern rock. Probably one of my favourite color combinations, the simplicity isn’t overstated and really stands out :rock:

Yes I agree - Norlin guitars that have been completely restored are my favourite too but unrestored Norlin era guitars by themselves aren’t my favourite at all, you really have to have them gone through top to bottom, otherwise there’s all kinds of in inconsistencies that need addressed. I’ve done two now though and they are each tonal monsters - just above anything Gibson is putting out now by far :rock:

Thanks for all of the comments dudes!!

In this guitar I had the 81/85 combo installed backwards to Zakk, so 85 is in the bridge. It was originally intended to be a bridge pickup and IMHO i much prefer the bigger lows of an 85 in the bridge as it doesn’t have that tinny sound to your rhythm. The 81 in the neck is super clear.

I might experiment and swap them back one day but for now the 85 in the bridge just fucking slays :rock:
I LOVE THIS! the 85 doesn't sound as thin nor as fizzy as the 81 would in the bridge. I'm in the process of swapping all my EMG Guitars to 85 in the bridge.

The tobacco burst with the custom inlays and EMGs just screams southern rock. Probably one of my favourite color combinations, the simplicity isn’t overstated and really stands out :rock:

Yes I agree - Norlin guitars that have been completely restored are my favourite too but unrestored Norlin era guitars by themselves aren’t my favourite at all, you really have to have them gone through top to bottom, otherwise there’s all kinds of in inconsistencies that need addressed. I’ve done two now though and they are each tonal monsters - just above anything Gibson is putting out now by far :rock:
Yeah, let me clarify. One of the reasons Norlins are so awesome is that they’re “dogs” and as such are very fertile ground for modding. An unmoded Norlin is meh. But you take one, flatten the FB radius (most of them are closer to a 10” radius), put big frets on, upgrade the hardware and wiring, and insert pickups of choice and you have a rock/metal machine.

Back