Got an SM57, made clips

cardinal

Used a '78 2204 with 6550s (it's on the bright side), and SD-1, and a CAE line driver before the SD-1 and another after the SD-1 providing just a touch more boost.

We Die Young. Totally muffed the squeal at the end of the solo. Sooooo bad.

Some thrashy riffs. My picking wrist just cannot. Need to get back in shape here.

Attempting some more modern metal riffs; some at least sorta Gojira ish and some Meshuggah.

So, I mean, it's a JMP and an SD-1 and a single SM57, so it's not super saturated with monster low end. But I do like the way it sounds; I always end up back preferring the drier, brighter 2204 to whatever high gain amps I happen to have at the time.

First time really using an actual mic. Put it on axis, just outside the dust cap about an inch or so off the grill cloth.

Yea not even close to too bright for sure. Mono guitar tracks are terrible right judge though, you really have to double track something and pan it left and right to really see what you were working with tone wise in my opinion. That’s how just about every modern rock and metal track is recorded and how we listen, so for me that gives a better frame of reference when I’m auditioning tones.

Thanks guys for the pointers. I just meant that of the 2204s I have, this is the brightest one.

I think I just figured out how to add multiple tracks and pan them in Garage Band so I'll give it a shot to double track and pan hard left and right.

Last edited:
Sounds cool! Maybe in the room it was cut your head off, but I don't hear bright in those clips. I tend to run my amps very very bright...I think most folks would question whether I have any hearing left...LOL!

Those clips sound like you did a great job capturing the amp. It's not all processed or mixed.

What speakers in the cab...V30s?

Last edited:
I agree with others above who said it might be bright in the room but there’s nothing wrong with that recording at all.

Double track it to get the perceived gain level up, throw a bass guitar track on it, and it would be identical to countless records out there. Killer job!

What interface and mic pre are you using? I need to get recording gear this year.

I agree with others above who said it might be bright in the room but there’s nothing wrong with that recording at all.

Double track it to get the perceived gain level up, throw a bass guitar track on it, and it would be identical to countless records out there. Killer job!

What interface and mic pre are you using? I need to get recording gear this year.
Thanks!

It's an Apogee One into a iPhone and Garage Band. I've had the Apogee for ages but never used with it a mic before. Supposedly the Apogee stuff has decent pre amps and converters.

For a single mono track, sounds quite good to me, man. Definitely not too bright, though it may have been that way in the room.

Something I like doing with those types of tones with a more vintage amp is quad tracking in stereo to make the perceived gain level higher.

Either way, I'm stoked youve taken the jump into close micing! It's a big wonderful world, and there's so much variation and various techniques to learn....even with a humble 57.

Back