Partscaster Pros....

Last couple/few:

A3A5C99E-7C49-4C4A-8431-2A5A4F9B24D6.jpeg
95CACD69-2A6C-4E4E-A139-1601511218BD.jpeg
1A2A3EDB-6423-4113-941E-15080EB2AE86.jpeg

I’ll say pick a neck you like. Everything else afterwards can be changed.

I love EVH necks and ESP necks; that makes me want to use those if I can. Everything else is trial and error, switching out shit to see if it works.

I will say this; out of the last 10 or so I’ve done, they’ve all turned out great players. Take your time (like you’re doing) to pick out GOOD parts and you should be good.

Good luck man!

My most recent body with a Warmoth neck I've had for several years. The body is Sassafras (ebay) and this particular build came out stellar. It sounds/plays/feels killer! I had a MusiKraft neck being built for this but I don't want to even mess with this one it's so good as it is. And the neck was TIGHT in that pocket. I don't even want to separate them.

20211107_085947.jpg

'Thin skin nitro'. You can still see the grain.

20211107_090005.jpg

When I did

Holy crap both of those are gorgeous, especially that tele :love:

Looking at that makes me feel like a noob with my shitty dye/truoil/wax finish I did on mine haha
Yeah his are drop dead gorgeous...but you're ahead $350 at least :cool: Those video links I posted have some great info on DIY dye / stain finishing. My next step is to buy one of those $15 paint guns from Harbor Freight

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...y-guns/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

Yeah his are drop dead gorgeous...but you're ahead $350 at least :cool: Those video links I posted have some great info on DIY dye / stain finishing. My next step is to buy one of those $15 paint guns from Harbor Freight

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...y-guns/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

I just used a foam brush and black leather dye on mine, then a few coats of tru-oil and then gunstock wax on top of that - from 5+ feet away it looks great but get up close and you can see a bit of drip in the tru-oil from me rushing through several coats :LOL:

16179567_10211853482311790_7881331394992145827_o.jpg

Reactions: Geo
Some very nice work on here. I am envious. I did a build in 2020 (Covid project) and it turned out like crap. I bought a Musikrat neck and I hate it. The guitar plays like a cheap First Act POS. Also, it sound bright and harsh and not at all like I planned. I wonder if I replaced the body and got something better if it would be good. I don't know.

I just used a foam brush and black leather dye on mine, then a few coats of tru-oil and then gunstock wax on top of that - from 5+ feet away it looks great but get up close and you can see a bit of drip in the tru-oil from me rushing through several coats :LOL:
Dude, patience has been my finishing Achilles heal since day one :ROFLMAO: The number of projects I've fucked up because I was either in a hurry or couldn't leave well enough alone are too numerous to count. The San Dimas body above I posted? yeah I had it perfect to where I wanted it then woke up and decided to "add some color" to a few spots that weren't uniform. Ended up getting too much on and the sealer coat lifted everything into a purple blue mess... I now know though how to repeat the process and also that I wont be using a sanding sealer anymore at least with the Unicorn Spit..... Dig that guitar of your BTW !

If I would’ve just gone with a more thinned out purple stain over this I would’ve been gold..I’ve got a roasted flame maple neck on the way that may change my color choices though, we’ll see

Attachments

• B476B06F-DD2C-4581-BEF3-F63B3953BA56.jpeg
    B476B06F-DD2C-4581-BEF3-F63B3953BA56.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 4B018F91-8E18-4A39-8EC4-B03340DA8C25.jpeg
    4B018F91-8E18-4A39-8EC4-B03340DA8C25.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 29
Whilst we are on the subject, this was very informative. Unfortunately, unless you are setup to do it, finishing a guitar is a real PIA.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-i...-fcfc-483f-a9d9-83630216b38c&dlv-mlid=3413875
Nice. I've got access to a spray booth and I have a compressor too but like you said unless you're setup for it spraying is a pain in the ass. Lots of it too is weather dependent, which is also why I decided to go the dye / wipe on poly route for these. Those $15 guns from Harbor Freight are near disposable but would be perfect for guitar, bodies but I'm not waiting until Spring to get these done.

Reactions: Geo
Nice. I've got access to a spray booth and I have a compressor too but like you said unless you're setup for it spraying is a pain in the ass. Lots of it too is weather dependent, which is also why I decided to go the dye / wipe on poly route for these. Those $15 guns from Harbor Freight are near disposable but would be perfect for guitar, bodies but I'm not waiting until Spring to get these done.
You really have to be into it, lots of hours that you could never recover. I like buying finished bodies and make it my own with parts.

Back