Diailing in/setting up a Reactive load.

MrDowntown

Need some help. Running may amps through/into my reactive load…it’s just a woofy mess. Am I doing something wrong maybe?

When turned up and straight into a real speaker cab…they don’t sound like that.

What’s the best way to run it? Currently I’m into Suhr out to a small mixer out to either monitors or headphones…even recording into reaper…. Not pleasing at all.

Ive just bought some owmhammer IRs. Maybe that’ll do it.

Any ideas?

Thanks as usual.

Last edited:
Livin' the dream brother, livin' the dream. :LOL: Hope you're good too man. :thumbsup:

FWIW I didn't think there was anything "wrong" with your post / question; I'm sure I've heard many similar ones before so you're not alone.

I can restore the OP if you like to save you the trouble of reconstruction should you change your mind.

Livin' the dream brother, livin' the dream. :LOL: Hope you're good too man. :thumbsup:

FWIW I didn't think there was anything "wrong" with your post / question; I'm sure I've heard many similar ones before so you're not alone.

I can restore the OP if you like to save you the trouble of reconstruction should you change your mind.
Yea. Sure. Tee it back up brother! The shit I come up in here with. 😂

:LOL:
I mean, it's either that or the thread goes to waste / gets deleted, so you might as well make it count brother.

Done. :thumbsup:

You have to use IR’s with a reactive load.

A speaker cab basically does two things to an amp, 1. it loads the amp down, and 2. it applies an EQ filter to the amp. Reactive Loads only do that 1st thing. IR’s do the 2nd thing.

Last edited:
I found some of the celestion IR’s that came loaded on the Suhr IR to sound kind of weird and dark too. For that matter I haven’t liked most commercial IR’s I’ve tried. The GGD cab plugins are good and the ValhallIR stuff sounds more natural IME.

I bought the OH 30$ package…whatever that is (evolution debut?). The couple I’ve tried sound pretty damn good.

Amazing technology

I bought the OH 30$ package…whatever that is (evolution debut?). The couple I’ve tried sound pretty damn good.

Amazing technology
The last Ownhammer stuff I tried was from years ago, so probably not at all representative of what they’re doing now.

the old non-ir version you have to run into a di/hi-z input if i remember correctly, the impedence isn't correct to run as a line-in. but the new ir version i think is line level. the ownhammer cabs are good. the stock one that come on the suhr are kinda whack but still definitely not what i would describe as woofy.

the old non-ir version you have to run into a di/hi-z input if i remember correctly, the impedence isn't correct to run as a line-in. but the new ir version i think is line level. the ownhammer cabs are good. the stock one that come on the suhr are kinda whack but still definitely not what i would describe as woofy.
That’s a good call. The IR version is definitely line level. The stock IR’s aren’t woofy, they just sound like they have the highs filtered out and artificially inflated low mids or something.

Just to let you know, you're probably not going to like most IR's you try. There are thousands of IR's in the Axe-Fx and as good as I can hear a lot of them to be for other tones, I don't like 95% of them. They're not objectively bad or anything, they're just not for me.

That last 5% though... man they're good.

Also, with IR's I've found the best results come from blending a few of them. In my experience, blending IR's is almost always an improvement. If you do find a small handful of IR's you love, think of them as ingredients to a greater meal, not the meal itself.

i've got the IR version of the suhr...
quite embarrassed to admit this...but here it goes...i had unhooked everything a while back (can't even remember why)
so, in hooking everything back up, i had the suhr running into a slot on the mixer that had some crazy eq settings, and honestly my eyes getting old enough (in a dark room ;)) i didn't notice until after i had made my postings on this. once i got the mixer back to "flat", i was cooking.

now the Ownhammer IR's i bought...they really helped bring out more of the amps tonal abilities. i appreciate the help in troubleshooting here...as dumb as a mistake as it was. reminded me of being a kid and hearing noises on your car,,, then as soon as you try to point it out to your dad it goes away.

BLENDING IR's: this sounds interesting. i'll go see how i can confuse this... i'll get back with you :LOL::LOL:

Back