Does anyone here use fountain pens?

MadAsAHatter

I ditched the cheap office bic pens several years ago and haven't looked back. Using them has physically change the way I hold a pen and write for the better. It's more comfortable and I barely need to use any pressure on the page. I also like that there's pretty much an unlimited number of colored inks available. I still keep a nice ballpoint around for those forms that just aren't fountain pen friendly. Other than that I exclusively use fountain pens.

Anyone here besides me use or collect fountain pens?

Must be a good 'un.

I remember back in the day I started with some pretty-rough, cheap models. They were scratchy to write with and dug into the paper too-often.

Once I got onto pens with the right shapes on the tips I was all-good. I loved the way upstrokes looked different from downstrokes and sideways from vertical. Classy look and with no extra effort on my part!

Like @Monkey Man, I switched to a pen with the right tip shape. A Pilot pen. In addition to what he mentioned, I found it took a lot less pressure on the page for me to write. With my arthritis, that is a good thing!

At my last doctor appointment he was writing something down. He stopped and help up his pen and said "These are the best pens ever." I grabbed my pen (same model) out of my pocket and said "yep, I agree!".

Yes! Fountain pens exclusively. I have a handful of Pelikan M600s that I rotate for work every day.

So many inks available too. I really like Diamine inks.
And just like gear acquiring pens can be addicting. I have about 50 now which for a normal person would be excessive. A drop in the bucked compared to a serious collector.
I have 10 that I keep in my rotation at work; a couple of Edison's, but mostly one-off bespoke pens I picked up from etsy or Payton Street Pens. I have various other brands like some Conkin, Pilot, Monteverde, Platinum etc.
My favorites though are my couple of vintage Parker vaccumatics and Sheaffer balance with 24K gold nibs. Those don't come to the lab with me though. I don't need solvent vapors messing up the vintage plastics.

I've been gravitating more toward Noodler bulletproof inks myself; mostly due to work things as work needing to be archived for 10+ years. Not everyone likes them, but they've worked well for me and should hold up for those archival purposes. If I didn't have to worry about that I'd probably be using more of the Pelikan Edelstein inks. I've really liked the ones I've tried so far.

Just going to leave this here...
m605-tortoise-black-2.jpg

So close to pulling the trigger on that black tortoise Pelikan. La Couronne du Comte in the Netherlands has a 20% off coupon going on…

It's been a while since I bough a new one. Picked one up off etsy last week. I got it with the Bock 1.1mm stub nib.

I've had really good experiences with buying bespoke fountain pens. Every one I've bough so far have been extremely well made and the nib comes tuned perfectly right out the box.

Pic is from the listing and it looks even better in person.

1700772128653.png

Back