Pedalboard snakes

thenine

What do u guys use? Home jobbies with some of that coily shiznat to hold it together? Buy one pre made? How many cables in yours? 4 cable method? Plus power? Plus midi?

I tried to place an order with Redco but they kept delaying, blaming it on Covid and then they moved etc. it took months and months so I just asked for a refund. My homemade one is OK but thinking about trying for a pro one again. What say you brethren?

I'll second the BTPA suggestion, they do good work and aren't particularly expensive. I've also done homemade - also great, you just have to source everything. I generally run cables for the amp, loop, and channel switching/MIDI (you can do MIDI via a TRS cable- you don't really need 5 pin DIN cables).

I've always kept power separate. I've tried it and haven't experienced any additional noise, but I prefer to keep the snake smaller.

I run power in my snakes without any issues. I use expandable sleeving and shove cables through. I've bought some from Redco and every now and then I'll find a cheap spool on Amazon (gasp!). I gig regularly with them and they hold up, and if a cable goes bad, I can feed an new one through.

I've done both. The pedalpython works fine and is best if you have all the cables you need already, then just slip them through. A hot knife is highly recommended when cutting the ends, otherwise the ends become a frayed mess. If you need some cables built then BTPA is excellent to deal with, they'll put it all together and can make just about anything you need.

Reactions: PDC
I’ve used pedal snake with great success. Send to amp, send/return for loop, dedicated foot switch cable, and matching length extension cord to feed the power block under the board. I didn’t have a true ‘hot-knife’ but I did carefully melt the ends before feeding the cables through. Perfect to clean up my rig and fine for a few rehearsals and occasional small, local show.

I’m not sure how durable the pedal snake would be on the road unrolled and rolled up every night and stepped on / tripped over / taped down / un-taped …. If I was playing out full time, I‘d probably spring for one of those expensive professionally bundled snakes where the whole thing gets a seamless heat-shrink.

I’ve been happy with PedalSnake - easy to pick the ends you need, and power through the Strymon connector works great.

I make my own. I usually put all the cables I know I need (4 cable method, midi, etc.) and then add a few spares in case one happens to go bad. That way you don't need to blow the whole thing up and start over. I use braided F6 wire cover from www.Wirecare.com and then heat shrink the ends. It comes in a bunch of colors as well.

I’ve used pedal snake with great success. Send to amp, send/return for loop, dedicated foot switch cable, and matching length extension cord to feed the power block under the board. I didn’t have a true ‘hot-knife’ but I did carefully melt the ends before feeding the cables through. Perfect to clean up my rig and fine for a few rehearsals and occasional small, local show.

I’m not sure how durable the pedal snake would be on the road unrolled and rolled up every night and stepped on / tripped over / taped down / un-taped …. If I was playing out full time, I‘d probably spring for one of those expensive professionally bundled snakes where the whole thing gets a seamless heat-shrink.
This is Jody with PedalSnake. Sorry, but this was just brought to our attention. Have you seen our Tour Prep Accessories? They pretty much make a pedal rig very rugged. One does have to take care when PedalSnake is unplugged and laying around. Any soundman will tell you, a snake requires a bit more care than traditioal cables, but they are worth it! https://www.pedalsnake.com/page.php?id=1161#tourprep

Reactions: PDC
Pedalpython is great if you already have all the cables you’re going to use and just need something to keep them together. BTPA is the place to go if you want to have a custom snake made, they can make just about anything. They can make custom cables with whatever jack/ends you need at the whole thing turns out professional looking.

Back