PRS guys help me out

ZEN Amps

So I'm not a PRS guy at all but this interesting axe has come up as part of a trade offer:

PRS.jpeg

2020 PRS Custom 24 Wildwood wood library top, fat back, flame maple neck, Braz board, 58/15LT pickups.

In a collection full of Gibson, Fender and Gretsch I'm wondering if it could be a fun addition. So PRS guys chime in and let me know your thoughts on:
- what you love about your PRS
- what they give you that a Gibbo doesn't
- what you think this thing may be worth
- anything else you want!

Cheers guys.

My description is the PRS is a spawn of a great Les Paul and a great Strat and that is what you get with a PRS. Nice chunk without the weight of a Les Paul and a nice flat neck that isn't super skinny like a Strat or super fat like a Les Paul. Kind of the same description goes with the tone in selecting the pickups to be played.

My PRS CU24 is an absolute workhorse. The trem is awesome, never goes out of tune. I replaced the pickups to something I prefer, but I do that with all my guitars. The sound is more Super Strat than Les Paul, but it’s its own thing, tone-wise. Solid, well made guitars. If Gibson had the same quality control that PRS did, then they’d sell way more guitars, imho. You won’t find little careless or sloppy construction issues with PRS. I think that guitar is worth $2500-$3000.

I will say on mine the neck isn’t the Wide Slim neck like I’ve played on a lot of the others. I think mine is the “regular” profile, which is kinda beefy, really. It honestly took me aback when I first played it. It reminds me of a less chunky LP 59 profile. Very round, C-type neck.

So I'm not a PRS guy at all but this interesting axe has come up as part of a trade offer:

View attachment 113806

2020 PRS Custom 24 Wildwood wood library top, fat back, flame maple neck, Braz board, 58/15LT pickups.

In a collection full of Gibson, Fender and Gretsch I'm wondering if it could be a fun addition. So PRS guys chime in and let me know your thoughts on:
- what you love about your PRS
- what they give you that a Gibbo doesn't
- what you think this thing may be worth
- anything else you want!

Cheers guys.

I have a CU24 with the pattern thin and it's probably one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played.
The wood library guitars tend to be a little more valuable, so definitely upwards of $3k.
There's a PRS guitar forum I'm part of if you want me to DM you the link.
They'd be a lot of help with that for sure.

That guitar with the fat back is going to be like a McCarty thickness. Full thickness body like a les paul. It wont feel petite like a strat or regular CU24. Guitar should have some resonance to it. Plus those necks are not paper thin. Sweet guitar, wood library new in 2020 the guitar was probably around $5200-5400.

I have a CU24 and a McCarty singlecut. Love them both.

I am able to play all styles of rock with my custom. Would never give it up. The color of mine is not my fav but the playability is phenomenal. I’m a Strat guy.. always been. This allow a different flavor for me.

I have 3 PRS Floyd Custom 24s and they are amazing playing and sounding guitars! I am currently putting a deposit on a 4rth this weekend that one of the retailers I deal with is getting in June. Can't wait!

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful. I think I'll go for the trade, if for nothing else to get outside my comfort zone and legit give PRS a go for 6 months.

If you don’t gel with it I’d gladly trade you a PRS 408 for it

Attachments

• D968499A-FBAA-413E-B5B2-15AD358CA0EA.jpeg
    D968499A-FBAA-413E-B5B2-15AD358CA0EA.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 54
Picked her up tonight. Gotta say it's a damn fine axe, I'm quite surprised how much I dig it being a die-hard Les Paul guy.

Bridge pickup feels a little wimpy for heavier stuff though, I think these pickups are their vintagey 50's thing. Have a JB, Distortion and Gibson 498T lying about - thoughts for drop C# or D heavy rock?

I see a Duncan Omega for sale close by - might be a little too much for my tastes though.

PRS2.jpeg
PRS3.jpeg

Picked her up tonight. Gotta say it's a damn fine axe, I'm quite surprised how much I dig it being a die-hard Les Paul guy.

That's a nice quilt on that fiddle. Was I right about that full body thickness being in line with a LP? I'm not surprised you're digging the guitar in all honesty LOL. Glad to hear it worked out and your happy.

The PU is more than likely their 85/15s. I like them but they are not my go to by a long shot. I like and have the BKP Silo in the bridge of my CU24. My next string change I think I'll be dropping in my MotorCity Detroiter in it (thats my go to).

EDIT: I use those same tunings drop C# or D. I also run 50-10.5 for string guages if your wondering at that level.

If your a Les Paul guy (I was too for a long time) and your gonna make changes to it, I'd swap the push/pull tone pot for a push/pull volume, keep the single coil tap for the neck and drop a Tremonti bridge pup in it. Ive done this on my McCarty and my Eagle and its killer. I always unhook the tone pots anyway and I much prefer having a volume for each pup. The Tremonti pup is a not talked about much killer pup. Its fat, tight, and very clear and articulate without the brittle tone of a ceramic magnet (unless you prefer that)
The Dave Grissom bridge is very good also if you want slightly less hot, more fatness and more character

That's a nice quilt on that fiddle. Was I right about that full body thickness being in line with a LP? I'm not surprised you're digging the guitar in all honesty LOL. Glad to hear it worked out and your happy.

The PU is more than likely their 85/15s. I like them but they are not my go to by a long shot. I like and have the BKP Silo in the bridge of my CU24. My next string change I think I'll be dropping in my MotorCity Detroiter in it (thats my go to).

EDIT: I use those same tunings drop C# or D. I also run 50-10.5 for string guages if your wondering at that level.
58/15LT pickups - seem pretty low output.

Thinking 10-13-17-26-36-52. Not sure if anyone makes this gauge in a set but it's always made sense to me for drop D. With 10-52 the A & D strings can feel pretty stiff.

Thinking 10-13-17-26-36-52. Not sure if anyone makes this gauge in a set but it's always made sense to me for drop D. With 10-52 the A & D strings can feel pretty stiff.

I swear to god I am not a know it all.. LOL Far from it.

StringJoy strings makes a set close to that. Gauges: .010 – .0135 – .017 – .030 – .040 – .052. Been using these strings now for over 8 years thanks to CrankyRayHanky!! Cranky approved!! They are a little more expensive but they definitely last twice as long as any $6-$10 set. These strings are pure nickle wound and not super stiff. Definitely well balanced in every aspect.

https://stringjoy.com/guitarstrings...ght-top-heavy-bottom-electric-guitar-strings/

58/15LT pickups - seem pretty low output.

Those are low output and I love those in my McCarty singlecut. Extremely open, articulate and tighter in the lowend vs the 85. Obviously I'm dialing in my amp way more aggressive with the lower output pup.

Last edited:
Yeah those stock pickups are probably not going to really cut it with the lower tunings, at least for my tastes.
Out of the ones you mentioned having laying around (i.e. JB, Distortion, and Gibson498T), I would give that Distortion a try first.
I've used all three of those pickups and the Distortion responds best to tuning down. Powerful pickup but not overbearing.
The SD Omega you mentioned is a great pickup, but it's got a more modern, articulate tone to it which might not be what you're after?
As for strings, my PRS is tuned right now to D standard and I'm using the Ernie Ball Light Top Heavy Bottom set (10-13-17-30-42-52).
Seems like these gauges strike the right balance between being comfortable to play and bend while being heavy enough to intonate well at that lower tuning.

Back