VH2 Stellar Clean Channel Needs a Post

Anxiety Serum

I've got to call out how good the VH2 Clean channel is. The official demo video had me sold that it could not only handle VH4 Channel 3 but also do the cleans I wanted. And once in my hands, it did not disappoint.

I love my Mesa Mark V 25 Fat channel and had tried it compared to a lot of boutique clean amps as well as the Fenders of the world and the Mesa won. But this VH2 Clean gives it a run for its money. I feel the VH2 is a touch warmer on the neck and a touch brighter in the middle than the Mesa on the middle selector. So it goes VH2 Neck, Mesa Middle, VH2 Middle, in order of warmth. The VH2 lets me get nice and fat, while giving me the option to go to the middle and get a little more top end (without getting prickly).

I don't usually use the bridge position on either Amp for my cleans (song dependent) and the neck was too warm on the Mesa most of the time. So the VH2 gives me 2 clean options (neck and middle) vs 1. (middle only) on the Mesa. The middle on the VH2 is also better balanced. Not saying I like it better, but the Fat channel on the Mesa can be a bit too warm for some songs (perfect for others). I feel like the VH2 middle can handle anything.

I can't say which of the 3 options I like best. But I can say the VH2 has 2 of the 3 best clean sounds I've ever played. Plus turn up the gain and Channel 1 has an awesome crunch sound on the VH2.

For reference I have a Les Paul Custom with Super Distortion in the bridge and Super 3 in the neck. I clearly like my cleans nice and fat.

Based with some Schmidt DNA that first channel yes?? Money!!!!!! Super stoked for ya man!!!!

(D-Moll also has an incredible Ch.1 (Clean) that seems to get little mention)

UnkleMo

The Cleans on the VH4 and Hagen can be fantastic. 'Bright' on or off depending on whether I want it warm and fat or with more top end sparkle.
I haven't played a VH2 but can imagine it being awesome too. The Diezel cleans don't get as much good press as they deserve. The VHX cleans are great and far more versatile than the others due to the more options available to sculpt. I've got a '64 Bassman that I use as my reference clean tone.

A quick update on something I like to do on the clean channel.

Most know, Channel 1 is pretty clean until noon and then goes crunch above noon.

But it can be a great single channel amp if you want to run it that way.

One of my favorite ways to run it is to max gain on CH 1 and just roll the volume off on the guitar and it cleans up great. Or hit it with a Boss Blues Driver for higher gain. Doing the latter is a like a more open Channel 3 (which is more of a typical compressed high gain sound). Maxed out and BD is just a slightly different flavor but very similar to Channel 3 (I like both), but this is just a great way to run it single channel if you like doing that.

Back