I finally get the Badlander- it's voiced like the Rev C.

But then I would need a full stack of old old greenbacks and that can't be cheap these days.
You can always grab a 50w JMP 1987 and a Marshall TV cab, newer production. They sound killer and the 50 won't fry the cab. But like everything these days, an early 70s version will run 2500-3500.

As a current owner of 3 original sub-serial #200 Rev C amps and a Rev C Triple Recto prototype... not someone that heard about a Rev C from their sister's neighbor's cousin's twice removed former room-mate... I'm not hearing the similarity. Sorry.

I get that the Badlander is a tighter-Recto-ish sounding amp... and have played it several times... but that's where the similarity ends. My Rev Cs have more gain and a more aggressive, evil, metal voicing overall to them.

Not throwing stones... I just don't hear it.
Sell me a Rev C. Pretty please? You know it’s going to a great home with one of its cousins.

Sell me a Rev C. Pretty please? You know it’s going to a great home with one of its cousins.

giphy.gif

I'll keep you in mind. ;)
Not really interested in selling anymore right now. And yes... people have thrown some crazy numbers at me.

As a current owner of 3 original sub-serial #200 Rev C amps and a Rev C Triple Recto prototype... not someone that heard about a Rev C from their sister's neighbor's cousin's twice removed former room-mate... I'm not hearing the similarity. Sorry.

I get that the Badlander is a tighter-Recto-ish sounding amp... and have played it several times... but that's where the similarity ends. My Rev Cs have more gain and a more aggressive, evil, metal voicing overall to them.

Completely agree 100 percent. It is not at ALL the same as a rev C, in the least to me.

Completely agree 100 percent. It is not at ALL the same as a rev C, in the least to me.
I think they were going for it though...kinda like the JP2C is an attempt at a C+(and sorry, not that close) the BL might be the same attempt, at least with the upper mid voicing. I've heard some similarities in clips; but talking to a few who have Cs and Ds they say the same thing...the originals have something that the BL just doesn't quite get. When I had my last F Triple, I played a MW Triple at a local shop and it was pretty far away from my F. Nice amp on its own though.

There are a lot of guys out there that are not interested in buying a 30+ YO high dollar amp, and would prefer something new that approximates it. I get it, I was that way before I experienced my first real IIC+. Plus we need these guys to help keep these amp makers in business.

Something else that's interesting. When the MkV came out lots of people said "it's great, but claiming MkIV and MkIIC+ mode was not really the right choice because they didn't nail it, why not let the amp stand on its own?" Same argument with the JP. Then, amps like the MultiWatt & the Badlander come out that are (IMO) in the spirit of the F and the C respectively, but not at all claimed, so they can stand on their own- but then guys that haven't owned them all will never make the connection. Think about that for a minute- which is really the better way to market amps?

Wow, that`s crazy dude! Do they all sound plus minus the same or is one of them like ruling the others?

Off topic but I wonder if Mesa would consider doing a rerelease of some of the older Recto revisions. They seem to he highly sought after.
Just thinking out loud. Maybe start a email campaign 😂🤷‍♂️

The only similarity I've found between the Badlander and my Rev C was the strong midrange and the brand.
My Rev C has a lot more gain and an infinite amount of tight low end that the Badlander could not copy, not even with an eq pedal, either pushing the front end or in the loop, adding more low end.
I've found the Badlander to be a great amp, as long as you don't try to compare it with other Boogies.
My impression was that they tried to make an amp that focus on the more modern 8/9 string players, that uses OD pedals to shave low end off. Like the Meshuggah amp witht the 33, but less a whinny of a tone.
I could be wrong here too, but at least that's what I heard from it's tone.
But my Rev C? It's one of the amp with the biggest low end I've heard to this day. It has even more low end than any other Dual Rectifier I've owned. It just happen to have a lot of mids and presence too.

Interesting note- I have this cold set of JJ 5881 now (Eurotubes #25). In the Rectos on 6L6 mode they're running about 14 ma. In EL34 tube / bold mode they're running about 34. I dare say, the tone & harmonics are better at 14. Fast forward to the Badlander- the one I had shipped new at around 18 mA with GREY. I spoke to the engineer at Mesa about this and he said they did that on purpose because that's where the best tone is.

Also, personally & FWIW, I liked the BL a LOT more with #EL34s

You probably aren’t deaf… high gain amps sound better cold… it’s. Fact… fight me on this, anyone. :)

I bias all my amps colder than what that often reccomend. Better, tighter low end, better high end, less bloated and smeared midrange. My Herbert, JMP etc, all biased around 28-29 ma per el34/kt77/6ca7. I’ve been saying this for years… it’s better cold for metal rhythms AND leads. Alittle not so well known secret for sure. But I do love people acting like their bias modded 5150 biased hot sounds better, pretty hillarious. #IfYouThinkThatSoundsBetterYouArentListening

You probably aren’t deaf… high gain amps sound better cold… it’s. Fact… fight me on this, anyone. :)

I bias all my amps colder than what that often reccomend. Better, tighter low end, better high end, less bloated and smeared midrange. My Herbert, JMP etc, all biased around 28-29 ma per el34/kt77/6ca7. I’ve been saying this for years… it’s better cold for metal rhythms AND leads. Alittle not so well known secret for sure. But I do love people acting like their bias modded 5150 biased hot sounds better, pretty hillarious. #IfYouThinkThatSoundsBetterYouArentListening
I think it’s a commonality that amps that rely on mostly preamp gain, to sound better with a colder bias vs say a Marshall that wants to open up with a hotter biased power section.
But 14/18 ma? That’s just super cold…but if it works, it works
When I say cold, I mean under 25ma. My 67 Plexi likes it around 30.

When my friends come over with their Peaveys / etc.. it's nice because we can bias on the fly & pick what works best based on actual pot-turning tones. The ONE thing that will always frustrate me about Mesas is I can't do that.

I could easily record this comparo with the Rev C of the Tverb using those 5881s, call out the high vs low bias mA, and let people decide for themselves.

I got to play the 100 loud last week.. wasn’t for me. May have been the cab. Was a Suhr 412 of some sort.

I may give it another shot but far less compelled to make the hour drive again after having played it.

Back