PRS guys help me out

Picked her up tonight. Gotta say it's a damn fine axe, I'm quite surprised how much I dig it being a die-hard Les Paul guy.

Bridge pickup feels a little wimpy for heavier stuff though, I think these pickups are their vintagey 50's thing. Have a JB, Distortion and Gibson 498T lying about - thoughts for drop C# or D heavy rock?

Nice!

My #1 for about the last 20 years has been a PRS Custom 22 with a Wide Fat neck. It's still to this day one of the best sounding and playing guitars I've ever picked up. PRS gets a lot of crap for being Blues Dentist guitars (understandably) but absolutely nobody can say a word about their build quality. They are excellent, and consistently excellent at that. Mine practically plays itself and is rock solid. It never, ever goes out of tune unless I bump the tuners. The neck stays straight as an arrow and I can set the action as low as any shredder could want without buzzing. It also resonates very well acoustically. Unplugged, it's not acoustically loud, (which I think is a good thing, I'm not a fan of acoustically loud guitars), but it's very deep and solid sounding and it sustains very well.

However, the stock pickups were not my thing AT ALL though. I tend to go for heavier more aggressive sounds and the stock pickups were really bad for that. Low output and bassy. I changed them out and that resolved the issue completely.

Also, be glad you got one with a tremolo. PRS tremolos have rounded edges which seems like a small thing, but it makes them super comfortable, and imo it's probably the most comfortable bridge you can play. PRS hardtail bridge, however, their single piece stop tail, feels terrible to me. The giant bolt rubs against your hand which is super annoying, and the placement is such that you can't get away from it. I do prefer guitars without floating trems though, so with my guitar I tightened the spring plate enough to deck the trem it even during hard bends, and it's been pretty much perfect ever since.

I know not everybody likes PRS guitars, but I've had mine for over 20 years of almost daily playing and I'm still totally head over heels about it.

Here's the latest clips I recorded with it:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Y7byiog288HCa6Z96
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/YBSPw1Gu7q7tRTJF9
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/pTncfWtSL98zekd67

Last edited:
RE pickup swaps. Keep in mind the typical PRS requires short legged pickups, so I'm pretty sure the 498 bridge won't fit. I dropped the Alpha/Omega set in my Cu22 and it's awesome for detuned/droptuned stuff.

HNGD.

Picked her up tonight. Gotta say it's a damn fine axe, I'm quite surprised how much I dig it being a die-hard Les Paul guy.

Bridge pickup feels a little wimpy for heavier stuff though, I think these pickups are their vintagey 50's thing. Have a JB, Distortion and Gibson 498T lying about - thoughts for drop C# or D heavy rock?

I see a Duncan Omega for sale close by - might be a little too much for my tastes though.

View attachment 113911View attachment 113914
Throw the PRS \m/ Pickup set in. I have owned a half dozen PRS guitars and have always loathed their stock pickup choices (I play metal and hard rock). The \m/ pickup was so good that it ended up in 3 les pauls. Tight tight tight clarity. For ear reference I used to run EMG and JB/Suhr Aldrich pickups--I like the \m/ far better

The newest (2020 2021 etc) PRS’s are the absolute best playing and sounding PRS’s I’ve ever played or heard. And I will stand by that, even compared to their super early productions. The 85/15 set are some of my favorite pickups of all time, and are just fantastic. Super dynamic, bright, crunchy, just lots of character. To me they sound like what a good PAF should sound like, but I know some disagree with me on that. But these new guitars are some of the best I’ve ever played or heard. My 35th anniversary cu24 ain’t going anywhere ever.

Throw the PRS \m/ Pickup set in. I have owned a half dozen PRS guitars and have always loathed their stock pickup choices (I play metal and hard rock). The \m/ pickup was so good that it ended up in 3 les pauls. Tight tight tight clarity. For ear reference I used to run EMG and JB/Suhr Aldrich pickups--I like the \m/ far better
That's a good testimonial right there. I've tried several PRS pickups in my LPs and they never lasted long. Imma hanging on to this idea.

Beauty! Just curious OP listed as Wood Library Top. Not sure I've seen that term mentioned. Is it a 10 top, an artist top or PS top? Wood Library is the term used for mixing matching , body woods, necks and fretboard wood. So a wood Library can be a standard core top. However the quilt top is a premium, the flamed neck is a premium, the Brazilian fretboard is a premium and the color possibly? Cant tell in the pic, could be a special order color/stain? The fat back* mentioned is as well a premium, thicker body for a cu24, and special order you dont see as many of. The cu24 is a great guitar , has it's own thing and sound, trem is really a awsome feature of that guitar without having to clip balls and clamp nuts. Damn sounds sexual torture. If you got it for 3k you did quite well. PRS prices are delusional at the current state we are in. Congratulations!!! Beautiful guitar!!!!

Last edited:
That's a good testimonial right there. I've tried several PRS pickups in my LPs and they never lasted long. Imma hanging on to this idea.
I had them side by side with Dragon 1's (which go for an arm and a leg now). The \m/ stayed. If I get some spare time I'll upload an A/B with a les paul loaded with them and a a standard 498t (since everyone knows it), to show the difference. I've had everything from Suhr, EMG, Bareknuckle, WCR, Duncan etc etc etc. For high gain clarity I was insanely impressed. The neck is really, surprisingly, shimmery with a nice fullness on cleans (but who the hell is playing cleans). It was the stock pickup in the PRS Custom 24 Floyds, and if you check out videos on youtube of that specific model you can hear it. I think it's even better in an LP

Beauty! Just curious OP listed as Wood Library Top. Not sure I've seen that term mentioned. Is it a 10 top, an artist top or PS top? Wood Library is the term used for mixing matching , body woods, necks and fretboard wood. So a wood Library can be a standard core top. However the quilt top is a premium, the flamed neck is a premium, the Brazilian fretboard is a premium and the color possibly? Cant tell in the pic, could be a special order color/stain? The fat back* mentioned is as well a premium, thicker body for a cu24, and special order you dont see as many of. The cu24 is a great guitar , has it's own thing and sound, trem is really a awsome feature of that guitar without having to clip balls and clamp nuts. Damn sounds sexual torture. If you got it for 3k you did quite well. PRS prices are delusional at the current state we are in. Congratulations!!! Beautiful guitar!!!!
The wood Library is basically a PS type top. Above a 10 top. It is kind of odd how they grade their tops. I have had 3 PS guitars (one of which was on display at the PRS expo thing), and a couple of 10 tops. The PS/wood library definitely look the part. You also get to pick your specific wood block for those. The 10 tops vary dramatically. I have seen some that are on par with PS/Wood Library and some where they look like dog shit. One of my 10 tops I still have looks very unremarkable and not worthy of that. Some standard ones look 10 top worthy. It's like they flip a coin until you get to the PS/Wood Library stuff.

There were my PS (wood library type ones) for reference:

Custom 22

Custom 24

DGT

This is not mine but comparable in top quality to my 2005? 10 top.

PRS Custom 24 10 Top

Last edited:
Ok cheers guys. Not sure about all the terms (wood library) etc. but this one came from Wildwood - I think the dealers can choose tops they like plus the other options etc.

I think I'll try a JB first, seems a good starting point and can take it from there. You'll be seeing her in action at some point once we get this YouTube content happening, which is coming together very, very, very slooowly.

Ok cheers guys. Not sure about all the terms (wood library) etc. but this one came from Wildwood - I think the dealers can choose tops they like plus the other options etc.

I think I'll try a JB first, seems a good starting point and can take it from there. You'll be seeing her in action at some point once we get this YouTube content happening, which is coming together very, very, very slooowly.
The JB will sound great. Congrats on the axe. Wildwood gets to spec out everything which is cool. I lived near them for a few years and, although I know it’s a long trek, if you’re ever in their neck of the woods it’s worth checking out because they have a literal warehouse full of the coolest shit you’ve ever seen. Let us know when the content out. I’ll gladly watch and subscribe.

Congrats on your new guitar. Pretty sweet looking.

Coincidently, I just got done watching this below. Nigel posted it in another thread. Tim Mahony plays mostly PRS and he talks a lot about them in the first 13 min of this video before he starts talking about his Bogner and Mark V. So if you are PRS fan you might like it. He also talks about the pick ups.

The wood Library is basically a PS type top. Above a 10 top. It is kind of odd how they grade their tops. I have had 3 PS guitars (one of which was on display at the PRS expo thing), and a couple of 10 tops. The PS/wood library definitely look the part. You also get to pick your specific wood block for those. The 10 tops vary dramatically. I have seen some that are on par with PS/Wood Library and some where they look like dog shit. One of my 10 tops I still have looks very unremarkable and not worthy of that. Some standard ones look 10 top worthy. It's like they flip a coin until you get to the PS/Wood Library stuff.

There were my PS (wood library type ones) for reference:

Custom 22

Custom 24

DGT

This is not mine but comparable in top quality to my 2005? 10 top.

PRS Custom 24 10 Top
So what is a wood library 10 top then? I still believe a wood library is just that. A core top unless other wise ordered. Wood library is only the ability to choose what you want on the guitar. I've had artist wood library's and still own a 10 top wood library, nothing else to be had besides PS. Cheers

So what is a wood library 10 top then? I still believe a wood library is just that. A core top unless other wise ordered. Wood library is only the ability to choose what you want on the guitar. I've had artist wood library's and still own a 10 top wood library, nothing else to be had besides PS. Cheers
Right, I was just saying I believe the Wood Library basically just gives you access in a core model (more or less) to wood tops you can select for a full custom builds as a PS. At least that is my understanding.I'm sure your guitars look great. I also get lost with the terminology from over the years haha

I see a Duncan Omega for sale close by - might be a little too much for my tastes though.

View attachment 113911View attachment 113914
If you get the chance try the Tremonti Bridge pup in it. One of my favorite pups. In fact his bridge/neck combo is perfect. The bridge is ceramic but it has some sweetness.

PRS make fine guitars. Their heavy brass trems have some serious chunk and sustain to them, and combined with the bridge pickup being a bit further away than on a superstrat I think they do best with medium wound 43AWG pickups - you’ll still get plenty of power but the low end will be tight too. From SD’s range I think a real sleeper is the Full Shred, such a great pickup in a PRS. The Custom 5 (same wind, different polepieces) works excellently too.

Right, I was just saying I believe the Wood Library basically just gives you access in a core model (more or less) to wood tops you can select for a full custom builds as a PS. At least that is my understanding.I'm sure your guitars look great. I also get lost with the terminology from over the years haha
That's cool, wasn't really mentioning my guitars for anything besides a reference. If you buy a prs guitar and it has a specific top on it it is specified on the documentation. There is no such thing as a wood library top. Why this is still a conversation.

Back