Friedman BE100 Deluxe at low volume (camera audio)

Let me ask, how much Marshall high end cut are you getting with your JMP or Plexi on 0.5? Hell, how's your tone with the dial on anything lower than 4? You really need to crank them bitches to get something remotely usable IME. While I do agree that Marshall's have more of a biting sound, Friedmans cut through just fine. In my view, the Friedman's just serve a much greater purpose. Not saying NM Marshall's aren't great, because they are, they're just not nearly as practical and when (for me) there isn't any tone loss, the Friedman shines.

Very good work OP!
I get lots of cut with a stock JMP or Plexi at low volumes. In fact, since both amps have bright caps stock, they are brighter at .5 than on 4. Lots of people mod their JMP's and/or plexi's to remove the bright caps because they produce so much high end at low volumes. I get killer tone with my stock Marshall's at any volume.

Not even close. had both. The Deluxe 50 and the 100..both went within a day of buying brand new
Your George build will eat those amps lunch and fuck there mother in the ASS
How would you compare the Deluxe 100 with the DVL-1 John?

You know,
Georges builds are so damn good, and not to take anything away from Dave Friedman but
the BE100 Deluxe is a tone shapers Godsend whereas any of Metropoulos builds (I owned a few) were plug in
and get instant gratification.

I still own a 2018 BE100 so I can appreciate what it has to offer especially with the "S" switch for gain structure.
Really a fun amp to play. I just found the Deluxe tone not as ear pleasing to me. Killer amp though, just wasn't my thing.

Lot of Deluxe Videos out there that tweak that amp to tonal perfection.

Sincerely,
Alfred E. Newman

VN6bm91m.jpg

To echo @LP Freak 's post, I always find it a bit funny when people on forums talk about Friedmans "not cutting through the mix", while guys like Steve Stevens, Jerry Cantrell and many other pros don't seem to have any problem with that :dunno: ...I also played with my bandmate's older gen BE100 live many times, no problems cutting through.

While I won't argue with personal preferences in terms of tone (I really like Marshall too), I'm convinced the "not cutting through a mix" thing to be 100% user error. If you're playing with a shit-ton of gain, and EQing your stuff with too much bass/not enough mids you're gonna be buried no matter what amp you play, you'd be shocked to see how little gain most guitarists actually use, even in metal scenarios.
I played through Mark Tremonti's rig a few years back (Bogner Uberschall/Mesa Triple Rec in a stereo setup) and the thing that struck me was the amount of gain he uses, not even close to what I was expecting, it's all in the picking hand/volume on stage.

Back to the BE100 DLX, it's got a lot of switches, and this means more tonal options at your disposal. It also means that if you don't know/care to know what each switch does, and how it affects the feel/sound of the amp (especially the frequency and response switches), you're most likely gonna get frustrated and blame the amp for "not sounding right", just my 2 cents! :rock:

Not even close. had both. The Deluxe 50 and the 100..both went within a day of buying brand new
Your George build will eat those amps lunch and fuck there mother in the ASS
Within a day?
Can't take your opinion very serious then.
And what I experience with mine is that it sounds totally different when I am using different cabs. I have to redial the amp completely.

This is the answer to the debate over camera phone clips. If you know how to dial in a really good tone, it will translate well. That and playing well always makes the amp sound better. Great tone, great player, great phrasing, bending, chops.

Last edited:
To echo @LP Freak 's post, I always find it a bit funny when people on forums talk about Friedmans "not cutting through the mix", while guys like Steve Stevens, Jerry Cantrell and many other pros don't seem to have any problem with that :dunno: ...I also played with my bandmate's older gen BE100 live many times, no problems cutting through.

While I won't argue with personal preferences in terms of tone (I really like Marshall too), I'm convinced the "not cutting through a mix" thing to be 100% user error. If you're playing with a shit-ton of gain, and EQing your stuff with too much bass/not enough mids you're gonna be buried no matter what amp you play, you'd be shocked to see how little gain most guitarists actually use, even in metal scenarios.
I played through Mark Tremonti's rig a few years back (Bogner Uberschall/Mesa Triple Rec in a stereo setup) and the thing that struck me was the amount of gain he uses, not even close to what I was expecting, it's all in the picking hand/volume on stage.

Back to the BE100 DLX, it's got a lot of switches, and this means more tonal options at your disposal. It also means that if you don't know/care to know what each switch does, and how it affects the feel/sound of the amp (especially the frequency and response switches), you're most likely gonna get frustrated and blame the amp for "not sounding right", just my 2 cents! :rock:
All good advice here

Within a day?
Can't take your opinion very serious then.
And what I experience with mine is that it sounds totally different when I am using different cabs. I have to redial the amp completely.
A day is very fair if the cabinets don’t work well with the amp.

I’ve turned on and then immediately turned off a splawn quick rod to demo a long time ago. There was no amount of knob turning that was going to not make it sound like an ice pick through the forehead with the cabinet I had to try it through, so I wasn’t even going to bother. Some amps don’t play well with all speakers - it’s just fact.

Only time I've ever heard a Friedman in person was when I saw Rich Fortus with the Dead Daisies....he was playing through BE100's and his tone was incredible. One of the best live tones I've ever heard tbh

This is the answer to the debate over camera phone clips. If you no how to dial in a really good tone, it will translate well. That and playing well always makes the amp sound better. Great tone, great player, great phrasing, bending, chops.
I like the phone clip better than than the mic’d tone....

@LP Freak - killer clip, band sounds great all the way around

This is the answer to the debate over camera phone clips. If you no how to dial in a really good tone, it will translate well. That and playing well always makes the amp sound better. Great tone, great player, great phrasing, bending, chops.
"aMp dEmOs dOnE wITh ceLL pHoNe AuDIo is UsEleSS?"
Prob one of the stupidest remarks i've ever seen on RT. This sounds amazing

All I can say is that this clip sounds excellent. Really nice tone there that you captured.
Sounds killer dude!
"aMp dEmOs dOnE wITh ceLL pHoNe AuDIo is UsEleSS?"
Prob one of the stupidest remarks i've ever seen on RT. This sounds amazing
Thank you guys!

A couple of people on the Friedman Facebook group were asking whether or not you need an attenuator to be able to enjoy the BE100DLX at low volumes, so I've recorded this quick clip with the system volume at 0.5.
I don't know how Dave does this, but the master/system volume on this amp is unbelievable, it actually seems louder in the clip than it was in the room (you can hear the strings acoustically when I'm playing even when switching to the Tascam, which was positioned at about 12 inches from the cab), the amp was pretty much at bedroom/TV volume, zero loss in feel or sound!

Killer :yes:

Back