Anybody here good at home recording with plugins and drum programming?

WhiteShadow

Just wondering if anyone here would be willing to help me with producing a good sounding track with amp sims and EZDrummer? I've already got a bit of knowledge and know how to use my DAW. Just not so savvy on the production and mixing/mastering part. Could use some help from someone who knows more about this stuff.

Id be willing to help, do you have the stubs/midi already? is the track done and just needs mixing/mastering type stuff? Im no pro but I have no problem helping.

Id be willing to help, do you have the stubs/midi already? is the track done and just needs mixing/mastering type stuff? Im no pro but I have no problem helping.
I've made like a bunch of tracks that I ultimately ended up scrapping because they sounded like crap and I hated them. As for what I'm working on right now, no. It's not done. I've got a riff and a bridge section. But nothing even remotely finished. I'm looking for help regarding the WHOLE process, from beginning to finished product. Not just somebody to say "sure man send me the finished stems and I'll mix it when I get a chance". No, I'm talking help with the entire enterprise that is recording and producing a home track. I want to know how its done from setting up the sims, dialing in tone, programming drums, producing, etc... because my stuff always comes out sounding like crap, but everyone else magically seems to make stellar sounding stuff, and it looks like it was easy when they did it. I want someone to show me what I'm doing wrong.

I've made like a bunch of tracks that I ultimately ended up scrapping because they sounded like crap and I hated them. As for what I'm working on right now, no. It's not done. I've got a riff and a bridge section. But nothing even remotely finished. I'm looking for help regarding the WHOLE process, from beginning to finished product. Not just somebody to say "sure man send me the finished stems and I'll mix it when I get a chance". No, I'm talking help with the entire enterprise that is recording and producing a home track. I want to know how its done from setting up the sims, dialing in tone, programming drums, producing, etc... because my stuff always comes out sounding like crap, but everyone else magically seems to make stellar sounding stuff, and it looks like it was easy when they did it. I want someone to show me what I'm doing wrong.

That's a huge, huge time investment for someone. But there are a lot of guys here with the skill, so perhaps theres some with the time? Good luck dude.

That’s a while different approach. Just talking your stems and fixing them up for you is one thing. Sitting with you and giving you lessons I can’t come up with that kind of time. Good luck!

Edit I should add post up what sounds like shit and ask for specific help with each recording or section.

No offense, but all of us that do this learned on our own, or put in the effort on our own to go out and find good information. The dudes who make records and have in the last 15-40 years had absolutely NONE of the resources you have at the tip of your fingers: there’s really no excuse on trying to learn this stuff on your own with the ample resources out there.

Now if you came here and said I’ve learned this this and this and I want to try and figure out how to make this work better etc, that’s a totally different situation. But asking someone to hold your hand through this the entire way ( for free), probably ain’t gonna happen. If you search my posts, I make countless posts about recording here, as well as things to try, things to avoid, general help etc that I’ve learned. @DanTravis62 and @JerEvil are some others that are super helpful as well, and I’m sure countless more here that I’m missing.

Just wondering if anyone here would be willing to help me with producing a good sounding track with amp sims and EZDrummer? I've already got a bit of knowledge and know how to use my DAW. Just not so savvy on the production and mixing/mastering part. Could use some help from someone who knows more about this stuff.
Fork out 15 bucks a month and get groove3 subscription and thank me later.

They have training on EZdrummer, EZBass, Superior drummer, DAWs, and also tons of books from Hal Leonard etc. Karl from Nile recommended it to me and it's been a huge help.

I don't really want to post anything rn, but I'll say my biggest issues are with making things sound real, like the guitar and drums, and also with just general beat programming. Can't seem to make any groove sound natural or propel the song forward. It always seems static and robotic. Like its holding the song back. There's no momentum.

EDIT: Also just giving it that big production sound (or something close to it), I've got no clue how to do. Everything I do sound amateurish and DIY. Lots of kids on YT seem to be able to make a good video that is well-mixed and sounds pro, I'm not sure what the secret sauce or mojo is to that, but everyone seems to know it but me, and everyone is tight-lipped. You couldn't pulverize the info out of them.

Also, last big issue is that I can get things to sound "okay" on my PC speakers, but try to play it on a cell phone and turn up the volume and the whole thing just comes unglued and sound harsh, brittle, and atrocious. People will say "YoU jUsT gOtTa TrAiN yOuR eAr AnD lEaRn ThE dELiCaTe ArT oF mIxInG bRo".......... Nah, there's a trick to it, you're just not telling me.

I don't really want to post anything rn, but I'll say my biggest issues are with making things sound real, like the guitar and drums, and also with just general beat programming. Can't seem to make any groove sound natural or propel the song forward. It always seems static and robotic. Like its holding the song back. There's no momentum.

EDIT: Also just giving it that big production sound (or something close to it), I've got no clue how to do. Everything I do sound amateurish and DIY. Lots of kids on YT seem to be able to make a good video that is well-mixed and sounds pro, I'm not sure what the secret sauce or mojo is to that, but everyone seems to know it but me, and everyone is tight-lipped. You couldn't pulverize the info out of them.

Also, last big issue is that I can get things to sound "okay" on my PC speakers, but try to play it on a cell phone and turn up the volume and the whole thing just comes unglued and sound harsh, brittle, and atrocious. People will say "YoU jUsT gOtTa TrAiN yOuR eAr AnD lEaRn ThE dELiCaTe ArT oF mIxInG bRo".......... Nah, there's a trick to it, you're just not telling me.

there is no "trick" - besides probably, mixing on real monitors or room-adjusted headphones so you can actually hear everything clearly.

edit: that sounded snarky, it wasnt meant to be, I mean your PC speakers aren't going to give you a good representation of what's happening in your mix, as far as sound quality. Now, obviously that wont help with the drum programming, but it might guide you in the right direction as far as things sounding big and crisp.

Dude, trust me when I say this. There is no “trick”. There isn’t. Here’s how this works:

Great player
Great instrument
Great amp/cab/mic/preamp
Great converters
great performance

This is 90 percent of it. I can assure you, that the biggest mixers in the world will tell you this exact same thing. You think it’s plugins? Here, I’ll tell you the the plugins my buddy uses 99 percent of the time to record some of the biggest bands in metal. Ready? Just strap these on your tracks and you’ll be a pro!

Avid D verb
waves SSL EV2
avid eq7
THE 15 YEAR OLD METRIC HALO CHANNEL STRIP
UAD for compression
Soundtoys bundle for effects
MDW EQ
THE 15 YEAR OLD DMG AUDIO EQUILIBRIUM EQ

and that’s literally 90 percent of it right there. Seriously. No bullshit. And hell some
Of those are stock pro tools plugins. Why? Because he’s learned how to use them. Do you think there is just a fast track to being good? There isn’t, there is no trick… the trick is the things sticking on the side of your head, and learning how to truly listen.

If you learn the basics about audio, how to pan things, the power of automation, and then you start to understand compression, you are 99 percent of the way there . I am telling you. Everyone goes through this, and eventually things start clicking… but no one here is gonna spoon feed you this, and you aren’t going to learn how to do any of this shit in a day. Or a year. Or even two years. Accept the fact that your shit is going to sound like garbage for awhile, it just is what it is. You can’t get better until you consistently do this over and over and over again. You wanna sound that good? You gotta dedicate some of your life to it man, it’s just like anything else on the planet.

Dude, trust me when I say this. There is no “trick”. There isn’t. Here’s how this works:

Great player
Great instrument
Great amp/cab/mic/preamp
Great converters
great performance

This is 90 percent of it. I can assure you, that the biggest mixers in the world will tell you this exact same thing. You think it’s plugins? Here, I’ll tell you the the plugins my buddy uses 99 percent of the time to record some of the biggest bands in metal. Ready? Just strap these on your tracks and you’ll be a pro!

Avid D verb
waves SSL EV2
avid eq7
THE 15 YEAR OLD METRIC HALO CHANNEL STRIP
UAD for compression
Soundtoys bundle for effects
MDW EQ
THE 15 YEAR OLD DMG AUDIO EQUILIBRIUM EQ

and that’s literally 90 percent of it right there. Seriously. No bullshit. And hell some
Of those are stock pro tools plugins. Why? Because he’s learned how to use them. Do you think there is just a fast track to being good? There isn’t, there is no trick… the trick is the things sticking on the side of your head, and learning how to truly listen.

If you learn the basics about audio, how to pan things, the power of automation, and then you start to understand compression, you are 99 percent of the way there . I am telling you. Everyone goes through this, and eventually things start clicking… but no one here is gonna spoon feed you this, and you aren’t going to learn how to do any of this shit in a day. Or a year. Or even two years. Accept the fact that your shit is going to sound like garbage for awhile, it just is what it is. You can’t get better until you consistently do this over and over and over again. You wanna sound that good? You gotta dedicate some of your life to it man, it’s just like anything else on the planet.

Fucking a right.

My go-to plugins are as follows:

Ambience (yes, the ancient one)
Scheps omni-strip
waves CLA-76
reaEQ (yes, the one that comes with reaper)
Serum
SSL- native drum strip

I almost never use ANYTHING else. Nothing fancy or even remotely expensive. Anything random I use stock fucking free reaper plug ins

There's no magic plug in that's going to magically make everything sound "good." You have to put blood, sweat, tears, and time into it.

As @VESmedic says, learning how compression actually works, and getting good performances/sources is literally 90% of it. Were not joking.

Compression: watch this video 12 times, then watch it again. Then watch it again in 3 months when you learn more stuff. Then 3 months after that when you’ve learned more stuff. Then 3 months later after that. I constantly rewatch videos that I didn’t quite understand for years the more I learn. And I mean quality videos, not youtubers who don’t make records for a living… stay away from these clowns.

not youtubers who don’t make records for a living… stay away from these clowns.
F484C249-0E38-4A52-817C-8898FA47BA1B.png

*struggles to play a barre chord in your path*

View attachment 114778
*struggles to play a barre chord in your path*

He's way better at manipulating the youtube algorithm than he is at engineering or especially guitar, I would say there are a million better sources to learn from, even on youtube.

In fact, even if you want to record metal, I would listen to non-metal guys like Warren Huart (he has great guest spots on his channel) or HOK like medic posted or something, loooooong before I listened to Glenns advice about literally anything.

Here are a few tips just as a "general" thing:

- Unless you are trying to make it big, just do basic songs and keep it simple. I've literally done whole songs in 30 minutes.
- Garbage in, garbage out. Make sure you have a good basic tone

Guitar
- Make sure you have good levels. Not too quiet and not distorting in the red
- Record one guitar part and pan left 100 percent
- Record the second guitar of thr same riff and pan right 100 percent
- EQ: You want to at least get lower, bassy frequencies out of your tone because they step on the actual bass guitar

Recording doesn't have to be expensive. I have Reaper switch is $50 for life. I use Ezdrummer for drums and EzMix for vocals and mastering (comes with presets)

I do a riff then copy and paste it thru the rest of the song. Takes two seconds versus hours.

As mentioned, would help to hear one if your clips so we can comment and help

He's way better at manipulating the youtube algorithm than he is at engineering or especially guitar, I would say there are a million better sources to learn from, even on youtube.

In fact, even if you want to record metal, I would listen to non-metal guys like Warren Huart (he has great guest spots on his channel) or HOK like medic posted or something, loooooong before I listened to Glenns advice about literally anything.

Man 100 percent. Most of the guys I look up to in metal didn’t learn to mix or learn about audio from their idols in metal, they listened to everything. Gary Katz, al Schmidt, CLA, Rick Rubin, clearmountain… list goes on and on.

And furthermore once AGAIN, these guys have NONE of the resources we have nowadays… zero. There is literally no excuse to begin to make even pretty damn decent recordings very quickly. But you gotta understand the basics…

Speaking of the basics, this is the problem with modern mixing and the modern resources we have available though. In a nutshell, it’s almost too easy and too accessible. It’s like a 1 2 3 step guide on how to build a nuclear bomb: you learn all these things, but you literally have no idea WHY you are doing it. That’s what all these programs like nail the mix etc are doing. They send you PERFECT Tracks that are expertly recorded and tracked, and the most amazing part is, they are already edited! Like what world does that happen in? None. You wanna be good, you gotta learn how to engineer, and learn how to solve problems. Mixers get paid to solve problems, not perform tasks… wrap your head around that statement, because it’s important. Make decisions, that’s what a good mixer does.

Real question, do you even know what the difference between a mixer or engineer or producer is? Because if you don’t know what I’m saying by “ you need to learn to engineer”because you don’t know what engineering is, none of this is going to make any sense. And when you start reading on YouTube and nail the mix or whatever and you want all this to start making sense, you have to had actually DONE some of this stuff to understand why you are doing what you are doing in the mixing process. The way we learn now is all ass backwards… real drums with no bleed?

It’s spoon fed more today than you could ever imagine, there’s just no excuse.

NAil the mix is riding a pony at the fair. Real mixing is trying to lasso huge ass horses with huge dicks that are trying to rape you and kill you.

Just get on YouTube man, there’s more videos than you can watch on there teaching. Reaper used to track how much time you spend and I averaged over three hours a day for years to try and learn everything, it takes time

As mentioned, would help to hear one if your clips so we can comment and help

Yeah this would really, really help us determine where you are @WhiteShadow and what a good plan of attack would be.

Real question, do you even know what the difference between a mixer or engineer or producer is? Because if you don’t know what I’m saying by “ you need to learn to engineer”because you don’t know what engineering is, none of this is going to make any sense. And when you start reading on YouTube and nail the mix or whatever and you want all this to start making sense, you have to had actually DONE some of this stuff to understand why you are doing what you are doing in the mixing process. The way we learn now is all ass backwards… real drums with no bleed?

It’s spoon fed more today than you could ever imagine, there’s just no excuse.

NAil the mix is riding a pony at the fair. Real mixing is trying to lasso huge ass horses with huge dicks that are trying to rape you and kill you.

This is so true man. I specialize in engineering and that's what I got paid to do in moderately successful studios. I'm quite intuitive and good at sources, mics, and capturing rooms and vibes. I'm still learning as far as becoming a competent mixer, and the only production I can do is of my own music, really. People seem to think this is all the same skill, and it isn't.

I think stuff like Nail The Mix is giving people the idea that because they can follow directions for a pre-prep meal, theyre qualified to become 5 star chefs at the most exclusive restaurants in the world.

IMO no one should be mixing real drum tracks with no bleed until they've sat there agonizing over someone's kit for hours trying to angle microphones millimeters to avoid the worst phasing and reflections because they CANT avoid the bleed.

Back