Fryette Ultra Lead vs Wizard MTL KT150

Through the same cab and in the room, sure they are going to sound similar on an iPhone clip. But man you gotta mic them . I guarantee anyone who thinks these amps are that similar will not think that at all when you actually hear them.

The Philosopher!!!!!!👍👍👍👍

Love both. But i looove the VHT, i have an UL and damn, it crushes. Need to try a Wizard to see what all that fuss is all about!!!!!!!!

Bought my UL brand new at Guitar Asylum in NY back in 2003. Drive 8hrs to go get it. Will never sell it. $1900 out the door back then!!!!!

The Wizard sounds more scooped than the Fryette. I wonder how they would compare if you scooped some more mids from the Fryette using that GEQ it has.

Hard to tell any real difference other than “slight more or slightly less highs” when the amps are recorded by a cell phone from across the room though.

Last edited:
How do you like those Fanes compared to the P50E or even a V30? What would you compare them to? I've yet to try out those speakers.

Man, I really hated the p50es... they sounded like a hollow cardboard box to me. I had a FB and D cab long ago with those speakers and I couldn't dump them fast enough. I did try v30s in the FB and it was a big improvement. I do think Fryettes sound great with v30s, but most people will say they don't like them. The Fanes are great. More v30ish but without the mid spike. The seem to work really well in the FL cabs. I had a quad in a Wizard cab for awhile. they sounded good in that cab, but seemed lacking when I a/b'd with the Fryette cab.

Man the clip sounds great, that Wizard is not fucking around! It’s also making me think about getting a fat bottom cab.

I can squeeze a fat bottom 2x12 into my studio, and they’re in stock at guitar center with a generous return policy.

Only hesitation is its 140 watts and I’d run a 180 watt head through it. I’ve heard stories of a 20 watt difference melting speakers at low volume. Anybody else melted speakers at this wattage difference?

Yeah. They're close....which is probably why I like them both a lot. The Wizard just hits you harder, something you gotta be in the room to experience and doesn't come across on an iphone video
Agree.. When your in the room with the Wizard there is this feeling like your getting hit by a sledge hammer the way the Wizard moves air. It's just so Awesome!!!!

Man, I really hated the p50es... they sounded like a hollow cardboard box to me. I had a FB and D cab long ago with those speakers and I couldn't dump them fast enough. I did try v30s in the FB and it was a big improvement. I do think Fryettes sound great with v30s, but most people will say they don't like them. The Fanes are great. More v30ish but without the mid spike. The seem to work really well in the FL cabs. I had a quad in a Wizard cab for awhile. they sounded good in that cab, but seemed lacking when I a/b'd with the Fryette cab.
I concur with the P50s…way back I had each of the D series at home, and scored a D cab for 249! Was so disappointed with that cab. Had huge expectations after all I read. I’d rather have a cab with M70s than play through that cab again. Ugh

Nice comparo; those are two of the best in the business in clarity/articulation/thump.

Man the clip sounds great, that Wizard is not fucking around! It’s also making me think about getting a fat bottom cab.

I can squeeze a fat bottom 2x12 into my studio, and they’re in stock at guitar center with a generous return policy.

Only hesitation is its 140 watts and I’d run a 180 watt head through it. I’ve heard stories of a 20 watt difference melting speakers at low volume. Anybody else melted speakers at this wattage difference?

I run my 150w Wizards through a 100w greenback 412. I don’t crank it super loud, but definitely loud. Haven’t had ant issues.

The guys at Celestion told me basically their speakers can handle about twice what they are rated. Only they will wear out extremely fast. They don't recommend this in any way.
I've blown speakers with 100 watt amps and 200 watts of speakers. Basically there is a lot of variables in what a speaker can handle. The wattage rating is only part of it.

I’m just patiently waiting for a FB cab to come into stock somewhere.
I had mine on preorder for 18 months through GC. They cancelled my order 5 times in that time span and had to issue my order from scratch each time. Finally got it last year. Killer cab. I swapped the F70s for F90s and it's killer. Have a D412 loaded with P50Es and it's awesome too.

Great riffs, great playing, great amps. Thanks for the video. Hard to come by any direct comparisons between those two amps so this video is very appreciated.

I had mine on preorder for 18 months through GC. They cancelled my order 5 times in that time span and had to issue my order from scratch each time. Finally got it last year. Killer cab. I swapped the F70s for F90s and it's killer. Have a D412 loaded with P50Es and it's awesome too.
I love my VHT Fatbottom with P50's also. You have to adjust your EQ differently than with other cabs, they can be lazer beam high end piercing, but EQ'ed properly, they cut like crazy and are super tight, not boomy and very aggressive!!! What's not to like????😁

I love my VHT Fatbottom with P50's also. You have to adjust your EQ differently than with other cabs, they can be lazer beam high end piercing, but EQ'ed properly, they cut like crazy and are super tight, not boomy and very aggressive!!! What's not to like????😁

man I just could not get along with those speakers. But it’s the same with every eminence speaker I’ve ever tried. Never liked any of them.

Back