Def Leppard - Poor Vivian...

Yeah, well they were a bit "rough" and then Mutt came along and polished them up, adding fairy dust for good measure.

Credit to the band for having the maturity to allow this IMHO when many wouldn't have, thereby missing out on the crazy success ride they "enjoyed".

That "Kick" song was too polished, too typical new Def Leppard, clean, neat, Nickelback-like, and just not my cup of tea.

That second song rocked. That is who I remember. I don't expect Def Leppard to be Slayer but man, at least occasionally resemble the group I remember. Hysteria was a great album, especially when you hang in there with your drummer after losing his arm and make it work. But take a listen to Pyromania, especially thr non hits (Photograph, Foolin', ROA) and listen to Billy's Got A Gun, Too Late for Love, etc. Great songs.

Was refreshing to hear that song. I know they are healthy and drink energy juice, etc now and wear suit coats. I mean they are loaded with money and they should enjoy it. Just throw me a nice raw DF sometimes. Lol

poor Vivian is standing so far back I think he is behind the drums lol
What is the conversation like "Welcome to Def Leppard- Phil must play all solos"
Do you think he even records with them? What's the point...ugggh so frustrating for Viv fans
don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure I heard him say recently on a podcast that he basically sends Joe and Sav riffs and shit and they turn them into songs. And even when they get together and write once the song is "formed" he basically has nothing to do with the finished product ... he does play on the stuff but not sure exactly how much he plays haha

That "Kick" song was too polished, too typical new Def Leppard, clean, neat, Nickelback-like, and just not my cup of tea.

That second song rocked. That is who I remember. I don't expect Def Leppard to be Slayer but man, at least occasionally resemble the group I remember. Hysteria was a great album, especially when you hang in there with your drummer after losing his arm and make it work. But take a listen to Pyromania, especially thr non hits (Photograph, Foolin', ROA) and listen to Billy's Got A Gun, Too Late for Love, etc. Great songs.

Was refreshing to hear that song. I know they are healthy and drink energy juice, etc now and wear suit coats. I mean they are loaded with money and they should enjoy it. Just throw me a nice raw DF sometimes. Lol
Just remember though, that great RAW def leppard was with 2 different guitar players/songwriters so getting back there is impossible

Last edited:
I saw them 1980 and they were the real deal, live I thought they rivaled VH

I would’ve loved to have seen them then. I was only 5 in 1980. I’ve seen some footage of them live in 80/81, and they just tear it up. Full of piss and vinegar, pure rock and roll with excellent melody and hook combined with aggression. The Willis/Clark combo IS Def Leppard for me. Agreed that the band died creatively with Clark.

Not expecting much from Def Leppard’s new album to be released late may. The song Kick just sounds very generic. No trace of that Def Leppard sound from the 80s or even some points in the 90s. 2nd song was much better. At this point with Def Leppard you have to preview the whole album for taking the plunge and buying.

Last edited:
they started this whole..Lets sound like T Rex kick several years ago.... sounds like total horseshit. i wish they would just stop

Seen them early 90's just after Vivian joined. There sound was horrendous with way too much echo. I have tickets to see them in a few months on the stadium tour. I really hope Phil wears a shirt so I don't throw up on the person in front of me.
Bring a doggy bag...summer tour, NO way he is wearing a shirt. It is going to be baby oil, fake tan, and big lights all the way!

Back