Hopkins AXIS Build on Marshall 1959 Circuit

NewReligion

Hopkins AXIS 100 Watt. Built on the Marshall 1959SL Circuit.

I have been experimenting in order to capture the actual tone in the room with maximum volume. Mission complete.

Now to improve the video quality. I am experimenting with many forms of recording & video’s in addition to software on two different computers.

Some of the software is not compatible with each other but I will get it sorted soon. The audio & accurate TONE was priority.

Thank you for listening & posting. Just playing through some of my warm up drills.

1.) Hand Wired Version.
2.) Heyboer Iron.
3.) ARS Filter Caps.
4.) JJ Tubes.
5.) Headfirst Amplification Loop & DC Heaters.
6.) Black Levant with Gold Trim Marshall 1969 JMP Style Head Box.
7.) Black & Gold Plexiglass Face & Back Plates.

Sounds pretty good to me. Would you consider that to be a little bit brighter than your Pandora mod?
Thanks for listening. I do not think it is brighter. Of course it can be adjusted so. The Custom Lester in the video has an ebony finger board making it a bit brighter than its twin Standard warm Rosewood does. Exact pickups and wiring I did.

Just more growl. I need to remove the covers from the pickups in the Custom.

Thanks again.

I couldn't make it past the spasticity about 5 seconds in. But, in all fairness, your amps always sound good. Almost bought a 1987X you modded, but the seller wouldn't budge on his unreasonable price. Those are your best works, IMO, the Pandora modded 1987X with the metro loop. That's where my tastes are.

I couldn't make it past the spasticity about 5 seconds in. But, in all fairness, your amps always sound good. Almost bought a 1987X you modded, but the seller wouldn't budge on his unreasonable price. Those are your best works, IMO, the Pandora modded 1987X with the metro loop. That's where my tastes are.
It’s pretty tough to capture the sound and feel of amps, it’s one thing that I’ve shied away from, there’s a ton of great players that make good YouTube content and user reviews are really great especially if they’re not pumping a sale and like the amp. Dave makes good amps and there’s players that bond with them but making the amp and trying to capture them to their truest form is very hard.

It’s pretty tough to capture the sound and feel of amps, it’s one thing that I’ve shied away from, there’s a ton of great players that make good YouTube content and user reviews are really great especially if they’re not pumping a sale and like the amp. Dave makes good amps and there’s players that bond with them but making the amp and trying to capture them to their truest form is very hard.
Oh, I'm just teasing David about how he goes into shred mode pretty quick in his videos.

His videos always have balls though, and the aggressiveness always shines through. They sound good, indeed.

I almost bought one of your mods too from LP Freak, and I don't know why I didn't pull the trigger. I think it was a Ceriatone build. Your Origin mods are ridiculous too. I give you serious props for taking an amp that most write off as garbage, and making it an animal. That's cool stuff.

Oh, I'm just teasing David about how he goes into shred mode pretty quick in his videos.

His videos always have balls though, and the aggressiveness always shines through. They sound good, indeed.

I almost bought one of your mods too from LP Freak, and I don't know why I didn't pull the trigger. I think it was a Ceriatone build. Your Origin mods are ridiculous too. I give you serious props for taking an amp that most write off as garbage, and making it an animal. That's cool stuff.
Yea you missed out. Shit, I probably should of kept that one. BTW it was a Mojotone build.

I appreciate the kind words thank you, Dave is a good friend of mine, we became friends years ago in this venture and I consider him extremely important to my timeline, we get together and play amps from time to time and share notes, he’s made amps I don’t personally like too much for my tastes and we’re open about our opinions, I’ve played his axis circuit and I do like it, I think it’s his best work. It sounds and feels great.

Last edited:
It sounds great, I always have liked where your ears are at with your mods. Not too smoothed out and rounded off, lots of harmonic content, growl and bite, also not so oversaturated that it no longer sounds like a Marshall. I almost bought a JMP you modded a couple years ago off Reverb. The dude who was selling it had some videos of it and it sounded like what I would think of as ideal modded Marshall tone. Sadly I missed out!

I do think if you threw in more rhythm playing on your demos and let the amp breathe it would be beneficial for the audience.

I appreciate the kind words thank you, Dave is a good friend of mine, we became friends years ago in this venture and I consider him extremely important to my timeline, we get together and play amps from time to time and share notes, he’s made amps I don’t personally like too much for my tastes and we’re open about our opinions, I’ve played his axis circuit and I do like it, I think it’s his best work.
Hello my brother Shea. As always your words carry weight & truth.

Your work is nothing less than stellar.

David

It sounds great, I always have liked where your ears are at with your mods. Not too smoothed out and rounded off, lots of harmonic content, growl and bite, also not so oversaturated that it no longer sounds like a Marshall. I almost bought a JMP you modded a couple years ago off Reverb. The dude who was selling it had some videos of it and it sounded like what I would think of as ideal modded Marshall tone. Sadly I missed out!

I do think if you threw in more rhythm playing on your demos and let the amp breathe it would be beneficial for the audience.
Hello @Bardagh

I really appreciate your honest opinion and taking time to listen & post.

David

Killer work David! I like this tone more than the other mods; which also sound great.
Hello Racerxrated

Glad you stopped by to have a listen & post.

It is for this reason I offer very different high gain works (mods).

Thanks again for the great words.

David

Back