Duncan JB vs Suhr Aldrich

Buy both, a/b them, sell the one you don't like.
Screw everyone elses opinion, most are just regurgitating shit they've read or based their opinions on shitty YouTube clips.
this is the only way to find out for your gear and isn't a complicated endeavour.

xzyryabx":2mjdu1a1 said:
Buy both, a/b them, sell the one you don't like.
Screw everyone elses opinion, most are just regurgitating shit they've read or based their opinions on shitty YouTube clips.
this is the only way to find out for your gear and isn't a complicated endeavour.

Very to the point, but I agree.

NaturalBornBoy":1kn4gyj7 said:
From all the demo vids I've watched, the Aldrich sounds tighter and more compressed than the JB. I'm really liking it tbh.

On a totally different tangent, any of you guys use the DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary set?

I know that they're way lower output than the JB/'59 combo but the clips I've heard all sound great. Even in non-LP guitars.

Every suggestion I have made here has been from personal experience for the record. ;)

The 36th is a fantastic pickup and I have nothing bad to say about it. I would also encourage you to look at the Suhr Thornbucker or Thornbucker plus if you are considering the 36th. In that output range and pickup type/style the Thornubuckers and 36th are very tough to beat. Good luck! :thumbsup:

RockyStar":136df4xk said:
NaturalBornBoy":136df4xk said:
From all the demo vids I've watched, the Aldrich sounds tighter and more compressed than the JB. I'm really liking it tbh.

On a totally different tangent, any of you guys use the DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary set?

I know that they're way lower output than the JB/'59 combo but the clips I've heard all sound great. Even in non-LP guitars.

Every suggestion I have made here has been from personal experience for the record. ;)

The 36th is a fantastic pickup and I have nothing bad to say about it. I would also encourage you to look at the Suhr Thornbucker or Thornbucker plus if you are considering the 36th. In that output range and pickup type/style the Thornubuckers and 36th are very tough to beat. Good luck! :thumbsup:
I hated the 36th. To me they sound very dull and lifeless. There are many better sounding PAF style pickups IMO like the Wolfetone Marshallhead.

They sound identical in that video.
I had JB's in a Les Paul custom a long time ago, didn't like them very much.

Ive had them both and tried many pickups in my LP and maple bodied super strat. The Aldrich killed everything (to my ears)
Ive always found the JB to be very bland tonewise, not sweet at all.

My 2 cents

Yep 36ths are awesome man! Way better than any high output and yeah I own a vintage JB pickups and real PAFs. If you need high output get a clean boost. The test is first what does the pickup sounds like clean. That is its real tone. Full bell like tone is the best base for a great OD or other effected sound imo. That is why the first Heavy Plays. Eddie, Neal Schon etc used original PAFs in the bridge.

Aldrich is definitely darker than JB.

JB with an Alnico 8 fattens it up and balances the upper mid spike nicely. I really like the JB8.

They are both good, and like any pickup, one may be better than the other depending on the guitar.
I had the Aldrich pickups in a PRS Singlecut. It is darker than a JB, which I found to be a plus. JB's sound great in some guitars, some not so great. I just yanked one out of a Jackson in favor of a Custom TB-5. The Duncan Custom is my go-to. Have one in 2 guitars, and considering putting one in my SG, but it might be too much sizzle in an already bright guitar.

The JB is congested in the mids where’s the Aldrich doesn’t have that nasaly mod bump. I still wish the Aldrich was a little brighter though. The slightly rolled off top end of the Aldrich vs the JB gives the perception of it being hotter and having more compression.

I had Aldrichs in one of my Les Pauls for a couple of years but ultimately found that they were too compressed for my liking. But as other have said, up against a JB it's the clear winner. It will split better too if that's your thing as well.

try a BK HolyDiver instead , I have one in my Charvel Wild card #4 and it sounds amazing . I A/B against my Socal with the JB in it all the time and my band mates always tell me , "play the green guitar it sounds awesome".
I have the 7 string version of the Aldrich in my Rg3727 the "Suhr "hot 7" and I like it but I've had the HD7 in other 7 strings and I find I still like that one better. For JB without any of the JB 'suck" HolyDiver is the one

Holy Diver is really good in a super strat. Also darker than a JB. Or, more balanced without the mid spike. I find it’s rounder on low strings.

For JB’ish tones and a sweet top end the Duncan Alt 8 is really good as well. It’s in my Charvel.

As mentioned above, JB can be very guitar dependent.

aldritch is a great pickup, and the JB can be too in the right guitar.

alrdritch is slightly less nasal. doesnt have the same 'nosey' mid bump

afwayu is okay but not worth dealing with wade lol buy used

pickups are very personal, and i think someone likely has to just put them in a guitar and try them to get an idea. I have mostly wagner stuff in my guitars, a set of emg retroactives, and a couple of @scottosan pickups in some too, which are excellent - and I think all of them absolutely kill the suhr aldrich or JB. But I have a very specific playing style, that someone else might not be like.

pickups are only really comparable with other guitarists who have similar right hands. So whoever the terse guy who said "buy em thats the only way youll know" is probs right

aldritch is a great pickup, and the JB can be too in the right guitar.

alrdritch is slightly less nasal. doesnt have the same 'nosey' mid bump

afwayu is okay but not worth dealing with wade lol buy used

pickups are very personal, and i think someone likely has to just put them in a guitar and try them to get an idea. I have mostly wagner stuff in my guitars, a set of emg retroactives, and a couple of @scottosan pickups in some too, which are excellent - and I think all of them absolutely kill the suhr aldrich or JB. But I have a very specific playing style, that someone else might not be like.

pickups are only really comparable with other guitarists who have similar right hands. So whoever the terse guy who said "buy em thats the only way youll know" is probs right
Which of the 3 Has the Most Output?

Back