Mesa Boogie Mark 2C+ vs JP2C clips

The first clip was the JP2C right? Cause the second one sounded like it had a little less gain and more dynamics to it (less compression). They sound very close though. I really want a JP2C

That sounded badass. The first run had a bit more bite and aggressiveness in the mids.
How close can the Studio Pre get to this tone? I'm guessing it would need the right power amp.

I had a Studio modded to IIC+ specs. Ran it thru a Strategy 400. Sounded boring. No where NEAR a IIC+(+). Mark III Red Stripe was better for Metal than the IIC+ I owned. The IIC++ is better than both.

60W PT - 00-162310 - 448V
60W Export - PT: X62-162318 - 448V
Early 100 - 100-162318 - 448V
Simul/60-100 Power - 105-162318 -483V+
- X101-162318 – Export - 448-460V
180W - 0180322 Coliseum - 500V+

Different PT does not equal switching a 60/100 JP-2C to 60 watt mode compared to a real 60 watt C+. The old 60/100 amps just lost a bit of bass when you switched them.

I want a JP2C badly but every time I have the money in hand, they're nowhere to be found, and only come in stock right after I make some other big purchase. It's one of the last amps that are modern production that I'm really jonesing over. Clips sound great, I wouldn't have been able to pick one of the other. There's slight differences but I wouldn't have known which was which if I didn't read the thread.

Cool comparison. I couldn’t have said which was which with any confidence. They both sound killer.

I’m pretty happy with my JP2C. Of course it won’t sound exactly like one of the original iterations but it’s still “that sound” and I love the new features. Totally understand getting the itch to try all of these different Marks though!

I had a Studio modded to IIC+ specs. Ran it thru a Strategy 400. Sounded boring. No where NEAR a IIC+(+). Mark III Red Stripe was better for Metal than the IIC+ I owned. The IIC++ is better than both.
Great info! I recently shot out a 2204, EVH 50 Stealth and Mesa .50+.
I plan to post the recordings in the next few days.
Totally impressed with the .50+. Best bang for buck, hands down. It has hung with these amps, as well as a couple Wizards.
I bought a Rev F off a dude that let me play his IIC++. I couldn't convince him to sell me the ++. It was perfectly pissed and articulate.

That Mark IIC+ kicks the JP2C’s ass up and down. It’s just way more balanced and with more gain which is unheard of. The IIC+ also has more aggression.

It’s not even a fair comparison. I’d be rage selling the JP2C immediately after this clip Lol

Also killer playing I love it :rock:

Sounds like the JP2C's gain wasn't turned up nearly as high as the IIC+'s.
I bet you could get closer if you increased it.

Also, Mesa Mark amps are supposed to have two Gain knobs. I'll never understand why they decided to remove one of those Gain controls in the Mark V and JP2C in favor of a push-pull pot that swaps between the equivalent of like 5 and 7 on the old control. It feels like such a significant downgrade to me. Like, imagine replacing the Treble knob with a 2-position switch that just toggled between "5 and 7" on the old dial, or any of the GEQ sliders with a 3-position locked-in "-5 db, 0 db, +5 db" switch or something. There would be riots outside the Petaluma factory lol. In previous Mark amps, the ability to surgically control the gain levels in two places in the circuit was and still is hugely important and influential to the tone you can dial into them.

Last edited:
Back