Celestion Redbacks.

espquade

Ok I am curious as I have a pair of Celestion Redbacks coming and want to add them to a 4x12 with 2 Celestion V/30's ...Do I do an X pattern or both the Red Backs on the bottom. This cab will be for high gain applications .

I know a few people here who said they use them so what is the word blending with other speakers mainly the V 30's?

Thanks!(y)

Redbacks works great for mixing in cab due to their fairly neutral sound. But I prefer top/bottom configuration to X pattern. They work together with most Celestions…V30, H75,G12H30…

I have v30/Redback in an X pattern. Second favorite combo behind v30/H75
Hey Matt, What would you say the differences are between those RedBacks and your H75's? Are the Redbacks tighter and with more low end and a bit smoother on the top end as that's what I am hearing in some of the clips Thanks!.:yes:

Ok I am curious as I have a pair of Celestion Redbacks coming and want to add them to a 4x12 with 2 Celestion V/30's ...Do I do an X pattern or both the Red Backs on the bottom. This cab will be for high gain applications .

I know a few people here who said they use them so what is the word blending with other speakers mainly the V 30's?

Thanks!(y)
It's entirely up to your personal taste. If you like the voicing of one more than the other, put those up top. If you want a true blend, X is better.

In my experience it's difficult to find a blend of Celestions that doesn't work so yes, there's tonnes of options besides V30's.

Hey Matt, What would you say the differences are between those RedBacks and your H75's? Are the Redbacks tighter and with more low end and a bit smoother on the top end as that's what I am hearing in some of the clips Thanks!.:yes:

They’re a little darker and smoother in the top end compared to the H75s. Thicker, bigger bottom

Agreed with all the comments above. The Redbacks are thick and mean. They bring a heavy controlled low end and mix well with most any bright speaker. I prefer an X-pattern in my 4x12.

X-pattern with Creamback 75s doing high gain:

Agreed with all the comments above. The Redbacks are thick and mean. They bring a heavy controlled low end and mix well with most any bright speaker. I prefer an X-pattern in my 4x12.

That sounds mean and articulate!

I read a few guitarists complain about the Redbacks having a stiff low end compared to regular Creamback which supposedly have a more natural and softer low end?

Does anyone else notice this? Not sure I do. I had two Redbacks in a 212, replaced one with a Creamback H75 and preferred two Redbacks. Also replaced one with a Creamback M65 and preferred two Redbacks. I don't hear or feel a stiff low end.

I read a few guitarists complain about the Redbacks having a stiff low end compared to regular Creamback which supposedly have a more natural and softer low end?

Does anyone else notice this? Not sure I do. I had two Redbacks in a 212, replaced one with a Creamback H75 and preferred two Redbacks. Also replaced one with a Creamback M65 and preferred two Redbacks. I don't hear or feel a stiff low end.
I think the reason some may view the RB as having a “stiff” low end is because due its very high power rating, it would take a significant amount of volume to make it break up. In other words, they don’t break up at all. Speakers with lower power handling break up earlier, which tends to give them a looser feeling low end due to how hard they’re being pushed.

Thanks!(y)
To this day, Redback/V30(UK) is the best blend I have ever used I've used my fair share from Celestions, Fane, WGS and a few others. CL80/30 I enjoyed as well.
I like the Creamback as I've tried both the M65 and H75, but much prefer the Redback.

I think the reason some may view the RB as having a “stiff” low end is because due its very high power rating, it would take a significant amount of volume to make it break up. In other words, they don’t break up at all. Speakers with lower power handling break up earlier, which tends to give them a looser feeling low end due to how hard they’re being pushed.
Right but to me, it's not stiff or hard to play, it just feels tight and punchy.

Sounds good & mean.

This weekend I replaced the stock V Type speakers in my Marshall vertical 2x12 (the SC212) with a Creamback 65 on top and a Redback on the bottom. I was surprised they actually sounded great together. They sound very similar eq wise in the middle, while the 65 has more high mids/treble, and the Redback has that lopped off top end and huge bass. The 3db difference in sensitivity disappeared with the Creamback in the angled top.
Not sure if I’ll keep it that way as I think another Creamback 65 might suit the SC20 better, but man if you want your Marshall to have some extra oomph in the bass… :rock:
I have another Redback in an ISP 1x12 and it slays there all around.

Nigel,
Good report bro.
I have Redbacks and Creamback 65d in my Bogner 412 in an X pattern. You have me tempted to try two M65s on top.
I am aloa tempted to go two V30s with the Redbacks like in my other 412. Love that blend.
I often feel like a heavier magnet provides a thicker tone, as leads seem fatter with the Redback/V30 blend. Not sure, hard to determine.
I have also thought of just going all four Redbacks.
Do you find the M65 is thick and fullenough for leads? Maybe with the Redback blend, it is filled out and that's why it sounds so good.
I don't notice the dB issues but curious how it may sound with the Creambacks on top.
Keep in mind a lot of pros and cab builders will do V30/Greenback and Bogner makes a cab with V30/T75. These are also 3dB apart. Celestion told me not to worry when it's only 3 dB.

Right now I have:
412: Redback/V30
412: Refback/CB M65
212: Redbacks
212: Redback/CL80

Personally, I'd never put 2 different speaker types in an X-pattern. The left/right imbalance really messes with me. If you're going to mix speaker types in a 4x12, I've always found it much better to do two like speakers on top / two like speakers on bottom.

Personally, I'd never put 2 different speaker types in an X-pattern. The left/right imbalance really messes with me. If you're going to mix speaker types in a 4x12, I've always found it much better to do two like speakers on top / two like speakers on bottom.
Agreed. Interestingly, I’ve found that mixing two of the same on the left/two of the same on the right sounds more cohesive than an X pattern because if you stand far enough to either side then you can’t hear the opposite speaker nearly as much as with an X pattern. Still, no mixing is best :D

Last edited:
I think it depends on the speaker and player. I actually spoke to Bogner about this and their testing with the V30/T75 and preferred the X. I did the same with my RB/V30 and it's jaw dropping how good at rehearsal and shows so I'm staying. But we all hear things differently. :)

Last edited:
Depends on the models blended IMO. Like PSG said, some models X-pattern fine. V30/K100 is like that. I hear no left-right sweep when passing in-front of the cab. Mine are in a slant-baffle mesa 412.

Top/bottom is also great with some blends, but that works better with straight cabs, not too good for slants IMO.

I find it’s just a lot of trial & error. Many cross patterns I’ve done sounded off or awkward, but some here and there have been killer and to me perfectly balanced. You just never know till you try and no 2 speakers are gonna be exactly the same anyway

Last edited:
Back