NAD: Marshall 4104

How doe the WGS compare to the Celestions?
I'm thinking a pair of greenbacks, or V30/gb mix might do the trick.
Not as articulate as the Celestions but a very good speaker. I've heard good things about mixing V30 and Greenbacks but really in closed back 2x12 and 4x12 cabs, not combos. I think most 4104 users would agree that it doesn't get any better using 65's with this amp. The 2203/2204 models also paired up with 65's well.

Subscribed. Want clips.
Finally loaded up. It's obvious to me hearing this video that the phone was kind of clipping. It's the worst free phone you could get a couple years ago. It took longer than usual to load up.
This is thru the amp with stock speakers, using a Timmy for some heavier parts. Gives you an idea, but it's in no way quality. And it sounds way better through a different cab with different speakers. Better clips to come.

Sounds good to me! I don’t know, those Modern Lead 70’s sure don’t sound bad here for what you’re doing.

agree...sounds good, really good to me. got that great marshall thing going on that i love.
that silverburst sg though mf sounds incredible

Finally loaded up. It's obvious to me hearing this video that the phone was kind of clipping. It's the worst free phone you could get a couple years ago. It took longer than usual to load up.
This is thru the amp with stock speakers, using a Timmy for some heavier parts. Gives you an idea, but it's in no way quality. And it sounds way better through a different cab with different speakers. Better clips to come.

Killer Bobby!
Regarding 65; I’d hold out for the real deal or the Heritage version. I had a pair of ET65s and while they sound really good they wilt a bit under high volume vs a Celestion 65.

So many things look wrong with that to me. An 88 with vertical inputs? Side handles? Little square light, metal switches?
I suppose this could be a Canadian model I'm not aware of. But it doesn't seem right.

Clip has been loading for a while. Made it with my shitty Moto 7. Might be ready in an hour?
Def a Canadian version; you can tell by the Ohm selector/light/and vertical inputs. Canadian and Scandinavian markets were delayed so to speak; in that they kept in JMP skin into the 80s (I had a Can 2104; 1982 but JMP no 800 markings) and when they did change to JCM skin(85?maybe?) they started off with vertical inputs for 3-4 years just like it was 1981.
Weird stuff.

Sounds good to me! I don’t know, those Modern Lead 70’s sure don’t sound bad here for what you’re doing.
I agree that clips sounds good, and to me the modern lead 70s sound good until you compare them with another speaker, that is where they show their short comings, at least that was my experience.

agree...sounds good, really good to me. got that great marshall thing going on that i love.
that silverburst sg though mf sounds incredible
Thanks! The SG used to sound thin with the BB3 in the bridge pup slot (great for VH 1984). I went thru a few pickups trying to beef it up. Whole Lotta Love, Railhammer, Holy Diver to name a few.
A Motor City Detroiter, accidentally installed screws towards the neck, gave it a sound that I loooooove. I'll never change it.

Killer Bobby!
Regarding 65; I’d hold out for the real deal or the Heritage version. I had a pair of ET65s and while they sound really good they wilt a bit under high volume vs a Celestion 65.
Thanks! You've been a great help since I got this thing home. It's like you've been there, done that or something.

What ALL his clips prove is that he has a good choice in amps, great chops and knows how to dial in an amp. In this case this 4101 clip is a little too clanky for me but fits what you were playing well :yes:

Congrats and HNJCMD :cheers:
Thanks! And....

I agree that clips sounds good, and to me the modern lead 70s sound good until you compare them with another speaker, that is where they show their short comings, at least that was my experience.

All of you are spot on and basically saying the same thing! The 70s are ok for what I was doing, when heard without comparison. I agree with clanky. In a word, great way to sum up the 70s. They lack lows, definition, have cardboard sounding mids and scratchy highs when compared to other speakers. They are poo. Soon to be for sale, so hey, grab em!

I think I need to tighten the tube sockets. I hear noises using the combo cab that I don't hear when I go out to an extension cab. There's a lil wiggle in the 6550s. Touching them quiets things down.

Thanks! The SG used to sound thin with the BB3 in the bridge pup slot (great for VH 1984). I went thru a few pickups trying to beef it up. Whole Lotta Love, Railhammer, Holy Diver to name a few.
A Motor City Detroiter, accidentally installed screws towards the neck, gave it a sound that I loooooove. I'll never change it.

Thanks! You've been a great help since I got this thing home. It's like you've been there, done that or something.

Thanks! And....

All of you are spot on and basically saying the same thing! The 70s are ok for what I was doing, when heard without comparison. I agree with clanky. In a word, great way to sum up the 70s. They lack lows, definition, have cardboard sounding mids and scratchy highs when compared to other speakers. They are poo. Soon to be for sale, so hey, grab em!

I think I need to tighten the tube sockets. I hear noises using the combo cab that I don't hear when I go out to an extension cab. There's a lil wiggle in the 6550s. Touching them quiets things down.
It’s interesting because over the years, 65s have been one of my fav speakers…in searching them out I’ve bought many 800 cabs with the 260w badge, bottom input Jack only to get them and realize they were M70s. Ugh. Just garbage.
From then on I made sure to open the back up to make sure.

It’s interesting because over the years, 65s have been one of my fav speakers…in searching them out I’ve bought many 800 cabs with the 260w badge, bottom input Jack only to get them and realize they were M70s. Ugh. Just garbage.
From then on I made sure to open the back up to make sure.
I didn't know they put 70s in the 4x12s. Ew.
I once let an old Marshall 4x12 with 65s slide by for $300. I was buying a DSL 50 from the gentleman, and he offered me the cab. I passed. Got home, did some research, called him and said "I'll take it!".
He said "No longer for sale". Guess he did some research, too. It sounded so good.
Ok, 65s are on the menu.

Last edited:
Many Marshall cabs were badged incorrect out of the factory years ago. 265 badge with M70's or '75's etc. Only way to verify was to peel off the back. I've read several threads of people being surprised with the speaker content. Early '80's Celestion 65's are my favorite speakers.

Good clip. I saw a cherry 4010 on the bench at my tech's shop today. It's considerably smaller than my Friedman DS40 Combo, which will eventually become too heavy for me to lug around to gigs. I need to find a local 4010 for sale to try out.

sounds awesome man nice score!!

I’ve had a few of those.
Kinda hard to find the drive pedal for those.
The answer?
Old school RAT.
That Electro-Harmonix big muff with the MID
control was the champion.

I might be having second thoughts on the Celestion Modern 70s. I stuck an SM57 on one and recorded this, just to see...
Hanging my ass out there as usual, first take, throwing whatever against the wall to see. Anyway, I think they have a place under the mic:

I love this amp. If someone offered to trade me for the Wizard MC50 I had, which I've missed quite a bit...
Wouldn't do it. Love this thing.

Last edited:
I might be having second thoughts on the Celestion Modern 70s. I stuck an SM57 on one and recorded this, just to see...
Hanging my ass out there as usual, first take, throwing whatever against the wall to see. Anyway, I think they have a place under the mic:

I love this amp. If someone offered to trade me for the Wizard MC50 I had, which I've missed quite a bit...
Wouldn't do it. Love this thing.

Awesome tones there! Plenty of gain, while still sounding organic.

Back