Anyone use or try WGS speakers with their Splawn?

Bash_Man

Looking at trying out the WGS Retro 30 and Veteran 30 speakers with my Splawn nitro. wanted some feedback if anyone has tried them.

Thanks

I haven’t tried the two you mentioned but I run ET65’s in an X pattern with Creambacks. I also use ET90’s in a 2x12 for clean amps
thank you. I've heard about people putting the ET65's in X pattern with other speakers as they mix well. how would you describe the ET65 tone wise?

thank you. I've heard about people putting the ET65's in X pattern with other speakers as they mix well. how would you describe the ET65 tone wise?
Tight low end and smooth top end. Mids might be flat, it’s hard to tell. I think the Creamback has a smooth top end but the low end seems bigger and fuller

Got the speakers yesterday. Will install them into my Splawn vertical 212 and test them out Wednesday at band jam.

Thanks

Speakers are in.. 2 8ohms wired in series... Testing happens Wednesday at band jam. I am actually looking forward to trying these and see how they perform.

Stay tuned...

PXL_20220424_172009494.jpg

Ok.. let me start by saying that this speaker needs time to break in. What I am going to post below is the initial sound I had today and not the final conclusion of the speaker.

Got to band jam tonight, plugged in and main thing I noticed that this speaker is nothing like a V30. Yes, its darker, but overall tone wise it did not sound anything like a V30. It sorta of has "similar" characteristics to a V30, but i wouldnt say its a direct replacement.

When i first plugged into this speaker.. i wasnt impressed. it sounded dull and harsh. very little character. couldnt handle the low end. Overall it sounded like it had a more scooped sound.

2 hours goes by.. its starting to sound better. I can hear more character from the speaker. Mids are starting to shine and more clarity/sparkle is starting to shine. another hour passes by, i can hear alot more mid definition and speakers are starting to handle the low end much better than the initial plug in.

By the end of the 4 jam session, it definitly started to sound like a different beast. again, definitly not a V30 replacement. Coming from V30s, the V30s had a bit more open sound, perhaps due to the highend frequency. with the retro 30, It sounds a more "fuller" sound. These speakers LOVE mids. The more I cranked the mids, the thicker and more cutting it sounded (yes I am aware that's what mids do on a guitar).. but it just felt different than your typical "bump up the mids" type scenario. One thing I can tell you these speakers so far are doing better than a V30 (in my opinion and what my ears hear) is these can handle the low end MUCH better. once they got into that 4th hour territory, I can definitly chug on these speakers without going Mush. It actually had definition to the chug.

The retro 30 has a very "chewy" sound. I know there was a thread about weird words used to describe a tone/sound. Well here's one of those moments LOL. when playing single notes, it just had this nice tone that I felt the V30 lacked (at least with my setup).

The one thing I am find with the Retro 30 and I am hoping it'll loose in time is they have this "tubular" tone. Not sure exactly how to describe it or what the right word would be for it. Its almost like the tone is focused within a certain area and not spread wide. again, hoping the speakers will loose that.

Overall, first experience with WGS speakers, I cant say I am dissapointed. Time will tell. Gonna keep them in there for couple more jam sessions to see if they'll break in even more and tone will improve on them.

Will report next week further findings after jam session again. Until then.. Cheers

ear fatigue will set in after 4 hours too, I'm curious to see what you think after you've not played through it for a day and come back o it.
i have no experience with Warehouse speakers, this model has always intrigued me though so keep up updated

ear fatigue will set in after 4 hours too, I'm curious to see what you think after you've not played through it for a day and come back o it.
i have no experience with Warehouse speakers, this model has always intrigued me though so keep up updated
Will definitly let you know next week wednesday after jam session.

Jam session 2 with these speakers. a total of 3 hours. Walked in, powered up, plugged in and hit a chord and it sounded good. about 2 hours in, I guess the speakers had a bit more time for additional break in. The overall sound was so good. It was bright but remained tight. The higher strings had bite but still had thickness to them and did not sound ear piercing. This was something I had an issue with when I had the V30s.

The lower strings sound full but still retain brightness. Palm mutes remained nice and tight. I am impressed with how these speakers handle the low end.

I dont know what the length of time its gonna take to "fully" break in these speakers, but I can already tell you. If this is how good they sound and perhaps not fully broken in, I am definitly looking forward for they break in more.

still however, I would not say they're a direct V30 replacement. As I mentioned, they have similar characteristics tone wise, but still sit in their own league type speaker.

we'll see next week's jam and see how they sound then.

Thanks

Back