Anyone use a 410 cab?

MadAsAHatter

I have an oversized 212 cab I made a bit back that has a bit too much low end. I've exhausted all that I can do with it as a 212 to reduce that, but it's still a bit much; though not uncontrollable. Before it goes on the scrap heap I'm thinking to try it as a 410. I'm thinking since 10" speakers generally have less low end than 12's converting it to a 410 may balance better. I'll have to triple check measurements, but it's big enough to to convert to a 410.

As a general question, has anyone rocked out on a 410 cab and what were your experiences with it?

I have never used a 410, but changing out the speakers may get you where you want. For instance, a cab I had loaded with G12-65's had very little low end compared to my other cabs. Another thing you can do is stuff the cab to tame low end resonances.

Have you tried the 212 as an opened back? Just take the back panel for the time being and angle it so there is an opening and see what you think, then look at cutting 2 panels with an opening in the middle.

Not sure 410s is going to buy you much.

I've pretty much gone through everything to tame the low end more. I've swapped speakers. I originally made it to be convertible from 1/3 open back to full open and tried it all ways. Put batting in it in pretty much any combination you can think of. Tried both rear mount and front mount for the speakers. Really about the only thing I haven't done is cut it down to make it smaller. I think the dimensions & construction makes it have a good bit of resonance.

Before hand if I had the bass knob set to anything but Zero it was super boomy. It took some methodical testing to see what worked best and I've actually gotten it pretty decent where it is right now; 1/3 open with light batting on the partial back panel and front mounted speakers. Still have to watch where I set the bass knob on the amp though.

I'm thinking with 10 inch speakers not having as much bass response as 12's, that will get me where I want it. If that doesn't work out I'd go ahead a get a 410 cab made; probably from Zilla cabs, and drop the 10s in there. That's where I was curious on anyone's experience with a 410 cab and how they liked it.

4x10s are like a V6 mustang, like I wouldn’t make fun of a chick for playing one, I’d probably wait a few dates to have “that talk” about making the jump to a 4x12 if we are going to move forward

Back