HeadFirst Wizard MTL anyone played one?

Who built it? It looks a great build for sure.

I’ve only given out a few logo/badges to guys that have specifically asked. These are my faceplates for sure, shipped to the builder from Melbourne.

Who built it? It looks a great build for sure.

I’ve only given out a few logo/badges to guys that have specifically asked. These are my faceplates for sure, shipped to the builder from Melbourne.
All I know is it sounds killer and it came from Texas. We'll call him Texas Tim.

Spent my lunch break testing it out at fairly loud volumes. The biggest takeaway so far.....you cannot hide behind this amp period. Its so crisp and articulate, I'm not sure if this ones for me - gotta spend some more time with it.

Here's a clip for you guys to tear apart

I’m not a wizard expert but this sounds like a wizard to me, I like the ac/dc tones the most, wizards seem to be the best out there for that, but the high gain just doesn’t do it for me, it’s like it’s too polite or something, maybe that’s the weird mids ive heard people describe

Spent my lunch break testing it out at fairly loud volumes. The biggest takeaway so far.....you cannot hide behind this amp period. Its so crisp and articulate, I'm not sure if this ones for me - gotta spend some more time with it.

Sounds great. Don’t worry most guys around here wouldn’t dare post a clip of them playing 🤣

Thanks fellas. This thing has gobs of gain on tap, I had the lead channel gain below 2 and the saturation at about half.

Clip sounds good. I don't know how loud the amp was though, it seemed like it wasn't too loud, and that makes it hard to get a lot of the character. I have never had luck recording with a phone in line with the danger zone like that when it is turned up, it just clips the mic on the phone. I have also never played a mtl to know how close it isn't or is. But it sounds good, and I would try it. I think if someone wants a pcb wizard clone, nbd. I think there is a lot more anti Wizard fanatics than Fan Fanatics. I don't see people get so crazy about defending Rick or Wizard amps as i do those that hate him/them. I once posted a gutshot of my wizard amp, and had some rig talk EXPERT talk about how the grounding was dangerous because rick installed the main ground bus above the pots where they don't show in a gutshot and the guy just assumed that the few ground points he saw were all it was. It is funny how many people get mad because the amps are expensive. But no one makes us buy them. Some people buy them and don't like them. That is fine. They aren't for everyone. A lot of them resell, sometimes fast. Some guys feel guilt from spending that much. Some people don't like the amp when they get it. Some people don't like the fact that an expensive amp still sounds like an amp being played by a terrible player. Some people, like Mhenson, change amps more than some rig-talk members change underwear.
But anyway, Congrats on the new amp day, bud.

That rules, great clip! I have a 50/100 Headfirst MTL on the way soon and I'm even more excited about it now. From clips I've seen these amps seem to be pretty versatile, maybe you'll bond after spending more time with it...what is it that makes you unsure if it's for you?

Last edited:
That rues, great clip! I have a 50/100 Headfirst MTL on the way soon and I'm even more excited about it now. From clips I've seen these amps seem to be pretty versatile, maybe you'll bond after spending more time with it...what is it that makes you unsure if it's for you?
Thanks! Initially it was the tight articulation that I wasn’t comfortable with. I guess I’m used to hiding behind chewy softer flavors of high gain which allows the player to get away with sloppy playing. So I’d assume this thing is going to help improve my skills?

I had a lot of fun with it last night, hooked up my SYN2 to it and was toggling back and forth between MTL, VH4 and Uberschall it was pretty sweet. Maybe I’ll make a video with my creamback cab next week.

Back