Boosting a Mark series

anomaly

I know most don't like doing this but if you don't like it, explain why? and maybe try some more neutral EQ settings on your amp (all around noon) and let the pedal do the boosting and tightening. It's a killer sound on a Mark IV, on the lead channel and r2. I tried boosting my old mark III when I had it 5 years ago, but with traditonal metal settings and it just thinned out the tone and made is nasally, never even thought to try some different EQ settings on the amp. It's worth a shot.

Just dial the amp in to where it sounds kinda like an unboosted recto, flubby, loose, like treble 5 (or maybe 6) bass 5 (or 4) middle 5, gain and lead drive at 7 or 8 and listen to the the magic happen when you throw that boost up front. It may not be better than having your typical Mark settings without a boost, but it's a cool alternative tone you can get out of these amps.

Last edited:
I modified a TS9 and voiced it specifically for boosting channel 2 on my Mark V. It sounds absolutely massive.
I use a Maxon od808 and it too sounds pretty massive boosting R2 on my IV, but R2 on a IV is a much different tone than on a V. R2 on a IV sounds kinda like a jtm45 or a cranked bassman if you set it right, it's a very vintage tone.

I use a Maxon od808 and it too sounds pretty massive boosting R2 on my IV, but R2 on a IV is a much different tone than on a V. R2 on a IV sounds kinda like a jtm45 or a cranked bassman if you set it right, it's a very vintage tone.
On the V you can get the same JTM45 type tone or a JCM800ish tone. I use the boost into the JCM800ish settings.

I boost r2 on my mark Iva with a Maxon od808, works great. Not much of a fan so boosting the lead channel, but r2 loves a boost. Have used a Klone to boost r2 as well.

Most people don't boost Mark amps with pedals because the perception is that Marks already have the ability to do exactly what a boost pedal would do. Boosts mostly do two things... 1. slam the amp's input and 2. cut low end from the guitar to tighten the characteristics of the amp's distortion. Marks already have a built-in way to do exactly those two things already where most other amps don't. Crank the Mark's Gain 1 knob and turn down the Bass knob, and your signal is already boosted and filtered similarly to how most boost pedals would do it.

Of course, most boost pedals are going to include additional clipping gain stages and unique EQ curves that each do their own thing so the Mark's controls aren't going to be exactly the same as any given pedal, but unlike Rectos or old Marshalls with minimal low end filtering and no built-in way to tighten anything, the Mark amps already have controls specifically designed to do all that, so most people just use those built-in solutions.

I agree with the OP that dialing in a Mark amp to use minimal low end filtering to sound like a Recto and then throwing a boost pedal in the mix could definitely make for some cool additional options though.

Last edited:
That’s how I like to run the Mark V. Use the extreme channel and dial in the bass to be a little woofy. Hit it with a boost and it’s awesome.

Most people don't boost Mark amps with pedals because the perception is that Marks already have the ability to do exactly what a boost pedal would do. Boosts mostly do two things... 1. slam the amp's input and 2. cut low end from the guitar to tighten the characteristics of the amp's distortion. Marks already have a built-in way to do exactly those two things already where most other amps don't. Crank the Mark's Gain 1 knob and turn down the Bass knob, and your signal is already boosted and filtered similarly to how most boost pedals would do it.

Of course, most boost pedals are going to include additional clipping gain stages and uniqe EQ curves that each do their own thing so the Mark's controls aren't going to be exactly the same as any given pedal, but unlike Rectos or old Marshalls with minimal low end filtering and no built-in way to tighten anything, the Mark already amps have controls specifically designed to do all that, so most people just use those built-in solutions.

I agree with the OP that dialing in a Mark amp to use minimal low end filtering to sound like a Recto and then throwing a boost pedal in the mix could definitely make for some cool additional options though.
Ya, i know exactly how Mark's work, the EQ section is pre-gain stage, so it is essentially like having a built in clean boost. What i'm saying is that you can kinda eliminate that EQ curve/filtering though by setting everything at noon. Then putting a tubescreamer in front to provide your new EQ curve/boost and additional clipping stage, cause some people just like the sound of a sd-1 or ts9 up front... I think it's a good tone, even with a Mesa Mark.

XTS modded GE7 for me if I use anything at all in front of my iic+. Generally unnecessary but sometimes a little boost and sculpting is called for.

I don't boost any amps. In general I don't like the sound and feel of pedals better than just the amp. I spend a lot of time in the Rolling Stones - ACDC amounts of gain. I occasionally use more gain but mostly for single note playing.

I got the best results with the KHDK No.1. Can be set up for boost, overdrive or distortion.
The KHDK Ghoul Screamer and Rockett Icon was okay with the Mark amps. There is plenty of other pedals that are okay. I would probably use a other amp first.

I would boost channel 2 on my Mark IV with and original Timmy pedal. It was insane sounding. In fact, this is how I learned about the Timmy pedal. Many years back I went to a friends house and he showed me the Timmy with his Mesa amps. I went right out and bought both the Tim and Timmy. This was back when Paul was still using the “bread board”. After he went to a circuit board, the Tim/Timmy never sounded the same.

XTS modded GE7 for me if I use anything at all in front of my iic+. Generally unnecessary but sometimes a little boost and sculpting is called for.

I been looking for one of these forever, might just have to send one in for them to do

Back