Floyd Rose Users - Is this Floyd Rose Factory Height Setting "Normal"?

Lumberjack

I'm a Gibson and Fender guy, I never owned a Floyd Rose guitar in my life, though I did play some at stores, but I never encountered a floyd rose set as high as on my recently delivered Charvel Satchel:

The playability is okay, but this floyd rose height setting seems way off to me, compared to the other satchel guitars that I saw. It's a top mounted floyd rose and, as far as I know, aren't these floyds suppossed to be flush against the body?

The music store that I bought it from told me that they inspected the guitar and that everything's as it should be. Is this excessive height setting of the floyd rose done to cover up bad fretwork on the upper frets or are these still acceptable height settings and fairly normal?

Looks normal to me since it’s a floating floyd. Dive only Floyd’s from what I remember sit flush on the body. As long as it feels good It is good

Nothing wrong with that. It allows the trem to be pulled up instead of only down. You can set it wherever you want really.

It really depends on how high the top of the fretboard sits above the face of the guitar.

It can vary wildly from guitar to guitar - I'm not familiar enough with the Satchels to know if yours is typical but I've seen plenty of other guitars with trems set up high like that.

You'll need to either have the neck pocket angled or put a 'reverse' shim in the neck pocket, then the bridge will be lower and flush with the body, if you want to be able to pull notes sharp then leave as is..

Looks normal to me since it’s a floating floyd. Dive only Floyd’s from what I remember sit flush on the body. As long as it feels good It is good
Floating is much more common with a recess route though. This is high for my preference but for those that like to pull back it’s how it would have to be without a recess

For pull up on a non-recessed Floyd that's fine. If you don't like it you can do a set up for lower bridge height and less pull up but there's nothing wrong with it as is assuming action and playability are fine.

The Floyd should be level or slightly tilted back from the body, not leaning forward.

It should be level with the plane of the neck non the case of a non recessed body, the neck pocked and neck have an angle
I disagree, the break point on the saddle has to be perpendicular or slightly tilted back. We might have to agree to disagree about this one.

I disagree, the break point on the saddle has to be perpendicular or slightly tilted back. We might have to agree to disagree about this one.
perpendicular with the strings/neck though. If the the neck/string plane were flat like with a recessed Floyd I’d agree

That's crazy high. You bridge pickup is almost maxxed out height wise. There must be a reverse shim in neck pocket! Or that neck heel is way too thick. I would take it back personally.

For me slightly tilted forward(slightly) just past the perpendicular feels best....seems to give a little bit more slinkiness set up that way for me.

I had the same problem only mine set even higher on the purple Satchel model in my opinion the neck pocket angles aren't getting done correctly, it's not hard to fix but when you're buying a new guitar you shouldn't have to fix something like that I shipped mine back the next day.

I have a Charvel non recessed that sat high. I reverse shimmed it and was able to lower it substantially. it's almost flush now.

My San Dimas has a compound radius. Not sure if the Satchel does as well I'm just a guy who reads forum threads, but my understanding is that mounting it fully flush would require from saddles shims as well due to the compound radius.

Reactions: Geo
I have a couple custom shop jacksons with the bridge like that.The action is stupid low and the guitar plays flawlessly. Ones a neck thru,and other is arch top dinky featured on the 94 catalog. They play 100% perfect so I never questioned it..im not much help lol

That is high..but I’ve never had a Satchel.. I would take the neck off to see if there are any shims..remove it and set the bridge up to be lower.

Reactions: Geo
Back