NAD: Gower Killer Kali ++

itsgoodnow

Just got a new amp and thought I would share. First, Dan was really awesome to work with and offered great advice throughout the process. He modded a 1978 JMP Artiste 100. Total oddball head but it has the good old Marshall iron and had 2 extra holes in the chassis that housed input jacks Dan used as holes for some of the toggle switches. It looks very clean.

Dan installed a loop, new tubes, NOS mustard caps, and did a filter cap replacement. I opted to get the options for mid-shift, saturation control, glass control, and thump.

I only just got the amp yesterday after it was sitting in customs for a week. So I have had limited time to mess with it. Bummer.

On to the good stuff. First of all the amp sounds great. There are an unreal amount of tones in this thing. Insanely versatile. The amp can do a convincing traditional plexi tone and with minimal adjustments the notes can become very thick with chords sounding huge. The tone shaping options are kind of incredible with the mid-voicing, the violence mode, and the feel control (plus a couple of bright switches). The feel knob is very powerful and the various settings can allow you to have the amp come across as very tight or saggy. I play a little thrashier (and like tight amps) and with the violence on noon and the feel brought back a bit I get that quicker attack with more defined notes but still have a lot of meat and tone behind my playing. With a lot of amps if you run a lot of negative feedback at an aggressive level to get more note clarity and attack the amp will (of course) thin out a lot. This one really seems to have a great balance on that front with the voicing and tone of the amp still shining through.

The amp is really responsive to different playing styles but it is very easy to get uniform dynamics in playing. It never feels like you are fighting the amp and is easy to get what you want out of your playing. Even when you have the negative feedback going aggressively, lead notes really have a lot of tone behind them and seem to really sing. Although there is clearly a Marshall vibe going on, it is definitely Dan's own thing. The sometimes present fizzy aspect of a Marshall Kerrang is not present. The Marshall upper-mid presence is there with the bright switches engaged, but with those switches off the amp is darker and sounds rounder. So you get a lot of great tone but it eliminates some of the harsher aspects of Marshall circuits. I'm sure as I get more time to experiment with this I will find even more stuff to like, but, so far it is a winner. With most of my amps I basically dial in my setting, set it, forget it, and never move the knobs. The KK++ is not a one trick pony and seems to be capable of doing everything and I can see myself tweaking the amp a lot to cater to different styles. I have not been able to pull a shit tone out of it yet.

KK++.jpg

Thanks, man. You still got me GASing for a Hermannson! My name is still on the waitlist but I will have more than enough to keep me occupied with the Gower.
Hell ya ! Having lots of amps if fun if possible! What can you running it with ?

Right now I have this in a Marshall MF280 with V30s. I am running out of town but when I come back I will give it a shot with my metal cab mesas with Omega speakers.
Hell ya sounds cool . Running my Hermansson through v30s as well . FL Diezel cab . The gower looks so cool btw

Cool amp!
Oh I bet that rips. Did he source that amp for you? I wonder what double shipping would be? I have an unmolested 4 holer here.
I haven't verified it but was told that it costs around 3x-4x as much to ship an amp to Europe than it does to ship it back from Europe. So just avoiding that first shipment is huge.

Cool amp!

I haven't verified it but was told that it costs around 3x-4x as much to ship an amp to Europe than it does to ship it back from Europe. So just avoiding that first shipment is huge.
Yeah man. I tried to ship a few things. I was going to send a VTM to Dan but after seeing the costs I quickly changed my mind. Donor amps are much cheaper as well.

That's epic :love:

I've never even heard of a Marshall Artiste before
It’s such an oddball amp. I think it was the Marshall iron but supposed to be a fender ish preamp section. So really odd. But Dan rebuilds the whole preamp section anyway and I just wanted the vintage iron for it. Still a really odd piece of history and also I like the hole placement in the chassis for the switches. Sometimes the 4 hole mods get crowded with knobs and switches all in one smaller area.

It’s such an oddball amp. I think it was the Marshall iron but supposed to be a fender ish preamp section. So really odd. But Dan rebuilds the whole preamp section anyway and I just wanted the vintage iron for it. Still a really odd piece of history and also I like the hole placement in the chassis for the switches. Sometimes the 4 hole mods get crowded with knobs and switches all in one smaller area.
You have a unique one here and it’s cool af !

You get to try other cabs yet ?
I wish. Still finishing the rewire on my 3 other mesa metal grill cabs right now. I’m really intrigued to try the DV77 With the V30. I am gonna shoot it out against one with DV77 and VM1265. I’m still a sucker for v30 voicing but like the focus of those tight focused cabs

Back