Boosting a Mark series

Worth hunting down. I could give up every other boost pedal I own and use just that.

I wanted it more for my loops, the frequencies on those are very close to the frequencies I usually deal with when I’m mixing so i figure maybe it will be better if I just get them at the source.

The cool thing about boosting a mark (or lots of other amps) is you can lower the gain dial which makes the bright cap do more. Can shift the voicing of the tone in an interesting direction sometimes without necessarily giving mroe gain overall.

After some more playing I think 4 is the better bass setting on the IV with a Maxon od808 or ts9 boosting. At 5 it still has a little looseness in the lows that I don't care for. As for the middle dial, does it really matter that much you think?? That control doesn't do a whole lot on a Mark, it kinda adds a little mud past noon. Treble at 5 or 6 for sure though, at least IMO. So in the noon ballpark.

On the V you can get the same JTM45 type tone or a JCM800ish tone. I use the boost into the JCM800ish settings.
Well a JTM45 is basically marshall's first mass produced amplifier, based on the fender bassman circuit. It's definitely different than a jcm800. Think very early AC/DC, that's pretty close to what R2 sounds like on a Mark IV, and most people hate it LOL. I dig it for what it is, a tone for vintage 60's and early 70's rock music, and with a boost it'll do some 80s metal tones pretty decently.

The cool thing about boosting a mark (or lots of other amps) is you can lower the gain dial which makes the bright cap do more. Can shift the voicing of the tone in an interesting direction sometimes without necessarily giving mroe gain overall.
Input gain dial or lead gain dial, or both? there's two on all Marks except the V.

Only the input gain has a bright cap on the control
The lead bright/switch effect is not affected by the lead gain control

I've had my mark III since like 2008. I know I've tried boosting it on occasion, and just wasn't really thrilled with the result.

Honestly though, the amp has always done what I needed without a boost in front, so I've never put much thought into trying to fit it in, when I can just run straight in & be happy with what comes out.

I've had my mark III since like 2008. I know I've tried boosting it on occasion, and just wasn't really thrilled with the result.

Honestly though, the amp has always done what I needed without a boost in front, so I've never put much thought into trying to fit it in, when I can just run straight in & be happy with what comes out.
Fair enough, when I had a III i didn't get good results boosting it either, but I had the treble up high and the bass low so i'm not sure if some more neutral settings would have worked better like they do on the IV? With the treble and gain up around 7 or higher there really is not much point in boosting a Mark, it's getting enough signal push IMO, but with settings below that?? hmm

Well a JTM45 is basically marshall's first mass produced amplifier, based on the fender bassman circuit. It's definitely different than a jcm800. Think very early AC/DC, that's pretty close to what R2 sounds like on a Mark IV, and most people hate it LOL. I dig it for what it is, a tone for vintage 60's and early 70's rock music, and with a boost it'll do some 80s metal tones pretty decently.
I'm very familiar with the schematics of these different amps. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I may have suggested they were the same. On the V there are 3 different circuits for channel 2 which sound very different from each other, and I was referring to 2 particular settings and that I use one rather than the other.

I never using anything other than the lead channel on my Mark IV these days. And I typically do boost it. But if I don't boost it, it's no big deal.

I will say I have used R2 in the past and the clean with a boost or drive pedal and have had a blast but that was jamming something not high gain. The Mark IV is the one amp I have that I wish I had two of

Back