Yngwie

Markedman

I loving Yngwie, but I could only watch a couple of minutes of this. He’ll be headed this way so I’ll go see him again, it’s a lot better in person.

He was fat Elvis for a while but has slimmed down. He is still as great a player as ever but a little too full of himself, which is Yngwie.

I wish he'd change it up with different guitars and technique but we know it's not going to happen. "Yngwie Plays Slayer"

"Players like Vai or Malmsteen spend their time perfecting what they do only as far as leads... Yngwie had a run where he did some good songs, but when it became just about how many notes he can fit in a millisecond?"

King added: "Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing player but after three songs, I'm done.

"He'll just keep doing it faster on a different string. Rhythm guitar is where a song is constructed. If there's a song you like, it's because of that rhythm guitar. The lead stuff at the end of the day is just the icing."

Last edited:
Reactions: ccn
The two times I've seen him, 1985 and just a few years ago will be bookends for me. I can only go a few songs anymore and I'm done. He still ranks way up there tho.

He used to have SUCH good phrasing and precision. Now it's all over the place and feels more like he's practicing infront of his mirror back in Miami.
Also his tone used to be soooo clean and liquidy. Now it's drenched in distortion, delay, reverb etc probably to cover up the sloppy playing

He's still a god, and he's still Yngwie though... glad to see he's giving the old Youtube thing a go.

Wow. Just … wow.

Im the biggest Yngwie fanboy in the world, and I have no choice but to see how old and tired this has become. It is such a ‘schtick’ at this point, it just seems so ‘put on.’ I’m betting at this point Joe Stump puts on a better show.

He was fat Elvis for a while but has slimmed down. He is still as great a player as ever but a little too full of himself, which is Yngwie.

I wish he'd change it up with different guitars and technique but we know it's not going to happen. "Yngwie Plays Slayer"

"Players like Vai or Malmsteen spend their time perfecting what they do only as far as leads... Yngwie had a run where he did some good songs, but when it became just about how many notes he can fit in a millisecond?"

King added: "Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing player but after three songs, I'm done.

"He'll just keep doing it faster on a different string. Rhythm guitar is where a song is constructed. If there's a song you like, it's because of that rhythm guitar. The lead stuff at the end of the day is just the icing."

He is definitely one of the Kobe Bryant’s of guitar so to speak. I’ll leave Eddie for the Michael Jordan spot.

Pretty much agree with everything said here... seen him a few times, and it just becomes exhausting. I did like some of the song writing in early 80's stuff

With all the practice he's had at flicking and kicking picks....I think he could drop kick one right back into his right hand. That would be awesome.

Id like to see him throw one in the air and hit it with that over the shoulder swing up to the fans in the rafters

Back