Soldano SLO100 & Avenger Circuit Differences?

Bad.Seed

So, I recently did a shootout video (not yet posted) on the SLO100 vs the Avenger 100.
Overall, the top end seemed rolled off on the Avenger, it was not as tight or clear, and was more forward/round in the mids.

I liked the mid of the Avenger but liked the tighter low end and the sparkly top end of the Avenger. This leads me to ask, does anyone know what the circuit differences are between the SLO100 lead channel and the Avenger?

I would consider changing the Avenger over to SLO spec and seeing how I like it, as I'm already missing the SLO, haha.

Any thoughts or insight here?

Single input Avenger? Gain pot value and plate/cathode resistor value on 4th gain stage may be different than the SLO. If the Avenger has a 1M gain pot, it'll sound darker.

So, I recently did a shootout video (not yet posted) on the SLO100 vs the Avenger 100.
Overall, the top end seemed rolled off on the Avenger, it was not as tight or clear, and was more forward/round in the mids.

I liked the mid of the Avenger but liked the tighter low end and the sparkly top end of the Avenger. This leads me to ask, does anyone know what the circuit differences are between the SLO100 lead channel and the Avenger?

I would consider changing the Avenger over to SLO spec and seeing how I like it, as I'm already missing the SLO, haha.

Any thoughts or insight here?
The differences are minute in the actual circuit. I think it's just a few resistors and one capacitor. But, the main difference, in my opinion, is the component types and layout.

Both have the same tone stack and power schematic.

I built a SLO/Avenger some time ago, and it came out sounding pretty darn awesome...

Good to know, guys. I won't expect it to sound EXACTLY like the SLO, but overall I prefer the SLO voicing so if this gets it pretty close, I'll be happier overall. If anyone knows what needs changed, would really appreciate a rundown so I can hand it over to my tech!

From what I can remember the Avenger has the "Warren Haynes mod" hard-wired permanently on into the circuit... which basically cuts the high end like you described. Also different parts, layout, and transformers.

It was marketed as the Lead channel from the SLO in a single channel amp format... which is not correct nor accurate.

I prefer my marketing accurate but incorrect. btw the Haynes mod only affects low gain tones...

4th_gainstage.jpg

This is how the 4th gain stage differs.

Kyle, Im pretty sure thats the Avenger you bought from me... I found the Avenger boosted to be a little tighter than the SLO. I had an older SLO and one of the newer production. I agree the Avenger is darker and more mid forward. These things seem to vary slightly though, maybe you have a tighter SLO than I did. Tubes could play a part also. From my experience the Soldanos sound excellent with the Sovtek wxt+ power tubes, I dont like the Soviet 5881s as much. I think that Avenger has JJ 6L6 which is not as tight in the low-end.

Kyle, Im pretty sure thats the Avenger you bought from me... I found the Avenger boosted to be a little tighter than the SLO. I had an older SLO and one of the newer production. I agree the Avenger is darker and more mid forward. These things seem to vary slightly though, maybe you have a tighter SLO than I did. Tubes could play a part also. From my experience the Soldanos sound excellent with the Sovtek wxt+ power tubes, I dont like the Soviet 5881s as much. I think that Avenger has JJ 6L6 which is not as tight in the low-end.
Yeah man, that's the one! So, when I had the bad s l o 100 I noticed it to be tighter with more top end than the avenger back to back.

However, today I plugged into the avenger in a front loaded cab with k100 speakers in it and man, that was just the tits. Sometimes I need to remind myself that cap Joyce makes a huge difference for as much as I preach about it. I don't play front loaded cabs that much and oftentimes I forget how much they can tighten up a loose amp

Yeah man, that's the one! So, when I had the bad s l o 100 I noticed it to be tighter with more top end than the avenger back to back.

However, today I plugged into the avenger in a front loaded cab with k100 speakers in it and man, that was just the tits. Sometimes I need to remind myself that cap Joyce makes a huge difference for as much as I preach about it. I don't play front loaded cabs that much and oftentimes I forget how much they can tighten up a loose amp
Did the K100s keep the the nice highs good or darken them ?

Did the K100s keep the the nice highs good or darken them ?
Kept them bright. I personally have found the K100 to be a rather bright speaker on the top end. In the wrong cab, K100 and V30 has actually been a bright/harsh pairing in my experience. It works in the Soldano cab I just got, but definitely did not work in my Splawn cab, which is very bright and stiff on it's own.

Kept them bright. I personally have found the K100 to be a rather bright speaker on the top end. In the wrong cab, K100 and V30 has actually been a bright/harsh pairing in my experience. It works in the Soldano cab I just got, but definitely did not work in my Splawn cab, which is very bright and stiff on it's own.
That’s good to know . I been looking at the k100s

Back