Boost to tame Ice Pick

messenger

I’m looking for a boost pedal for leads to add a bit more saturation and tame a bit of ice pick higher up on the neck. I use a Les Paul with APH2 into a Mesa Stiletto Ace with Bogner 412 loaded with Vintage Blackbacks. Playing mainly hard rock. I love my tone but for leads higher up on the neck it can get a bit ice picky. I’m currently using a Bad Monkey as a boost for leads but it doesn’t seem to help with the ice pick (honestly haven’t tried any extreme settings which I guess I should next practice, my amp isn’t at home).

I use a Bad Monkey mostly. I think it is a great pedal. I also have a MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of my Mesa. So like others said - try that. If you want to mess with an EQ on the cheap, the Danelectro Fish n Chips 6 band EQ is actually pretty good and less than $35. It stood up against my MXR 10 in tone. Quality is much lower though so I probably wouldn't gig with one. I don't gig though. And I can't do leads :LOL:

Fish N Chips is a great pedal for sure, especially for the price.

Sure it's entirely made of plastic but I never had a single issue with mine. Helps that it's the sort of pedal I tend to either leave off or leave on rather than footswitching it constantly

I would have said Bad Monkey if you hadn’t mentioned that’s the one you’re using. I’ve always found it to be a little darker and smoother than the normal Tubescreamer. In fact I usually don’t use it because I can’t get the bite out of it that I can with my MXR M77 or BBE Green Screamer.

EQ is a great option. I might suggest the ZVEX Channel 2 Boost. Cheap/small version of the Super Hard on that, in my experience, does a great job of taming and making high end more pleasant while maintaining your core tone

Fish N Chips is a great pedal for sure, especially for the price.

Sure it's entirely made of plastic but I never had a single issue with mine. Helps that it's the sort of pedal I tend to either leave off or leave on rather than footswitching it constantly
Right. Not something you want to stomp on a lot in front of an audience. Set and forget.
In it's defense, the base plate on the bottom is metal, but the shell is plastic (tough plastic at that). But I broke mine and so I used a longer than normal piece of velcro to hold the top to the base :LOL:

The MXR 6 band would be good too. A little cheaper and less real estate than its big 10 band brother.

WhAiTvyl.jpg

Last edited:
I’m looking for a boost pedal for leads to add a bit more saturation and tame a bit of ice pick higher up on the neck. I use a Les Paul with APH2 into a Mesa Stiletto Ace with Bogner 412 loaded with Vintage Blackbacks. Playing mainly hard rock. I love my tone but for leads higher up on the neck it can get a bit ice picky. I’m currently using a Bad Monkey as a boost for leads but it doesn’t seem to help with the ice pick (honestly haven’t tried any extreme settings which I guess I should next practice, my amp isn’t at home).
So you play at home or gig? If at home, sound treatment in the room
helps considerably

Mooer, Behringer & Joyo all make cheap EQ pedals in same price range as Fish N Chips, I wouldn't trust any of their build quality for gigging if you intend to actually stomp on it - fine if will be always on or using some sort of switcher. GE-7 or MXR 6 band much sturdier, both widely available used for well under $100. Friedman Buxom Boost is great too, 3 band active EQ with bass cut (tight) control, little more expensive, $130-150ish used.

Captain Obvious here, I love my TS mini with the tone knob rolled all the way to the left. Roll the Overdrive knob back and just use the Level control if you gave plenty of gain through your amp. It really rounds out and warms up an overly bright amp. I have owned more TS variants than I can remember, and to my ears, the mini is the best sounding one of the bunch.

Orang Two Stroke. You can use it as a boost or EQ, out front or in the loop. Basically just boost the high knob and turn the frequency knob until you find the ice pick, and then cut the high knob back.

Back