Biggest sounding 212 you've played?

I've had three 2X12 cabs. An Egnater tourmaster 2X12 which was good but I sold it to get A Mesa 2X12 with V30s which sounded great. I did end up selling it. I currently have a Splawn 2x12 with G12M-65 creambacks and it is an amazing cab. I'll be keeping this one. The build quality is fantastic and those Creambacks sound awesome.
Yep!
I love my Splawn 412.
Liking the Creambacks? I want to do an M65/H75 mix in an X pattern.
The other option is CL80/M65 recommended by Celestion.

This has always been an issue for me, especially since most club managers FEAR a 4x12, and i'm from the "Only a 4x12 will do!!" world. I played a shitload of 2x12s and none of them had that 4x12 sound. Friend of mine turned me on to Ear Candy Buzz Bomb 2x12 cabs. Guy who builds them is supposed to be a total crook so I found 2 used and loaded them with Alnico Creams. They absolutely sound just as full and big as a 4x12. Tried Altecs in them and sounded the same, V30s were a "slight" bit more boxy than a 4x12 but were closer than anything else I've tried.

Lots of bad stuff about the guy that builds these cabs and some guys love em, some hate em. For studio/rehearsal and medium size club environment these have worked well so far. If you can find these used and they're not a zillion bux they are definitely worth a try.
I got ya but a 212 is just as loud. After all it's the volume control that controls how loud, not the cab. I can get my 212 cabs much louder than my 412s if I choose.
Most clubs around here do 412 cabs anyway. They say it fills the room better.
Play they don't mix guitar cabs.
I had a Ear Candy BuzzBomb but didn't like it. It was small and deep. I had to almost sit on the ground to adjust the amp or hear the cab.
You stacked two?
The band I'm in does mostly block parties and occasional gigs at clubs that like 412s so I may be good to go.

I've only only owned one, a Splawn 2x12 with Small Blocks, and it sounds great. I recently changed the speakers to Weber Legacies and now it sounds even better. Mine has the removable port as well but I don't think it makes much difference.

I got ya but a 212 is just as loud. After all it's the volume control that controls how loud, not the cab. I can get my 212 cabs much louder than my 412s if I choose.
Most clubs around here do 412 cabs anyway. They say it fills the room better.
Play they don't mix guitar cabs.
I had a Ear Candy BuzzBomb but didn't like it. It was small and deep. I had to almost sit on the ground to adjust the amp or hear the cab.
You stacked two?
The band I'm in does mostly block parties and occasional gigs at clubs that like 412s so I may be good to go.
Sure it can get just as loud, but its not just about volume. To me, 2x12s just dont have the fullness that a 4x12 can produce, and always sounded boxy in comparison with the same speakers. You are also moving a lot more air with a 4x12 than with a 2x12, and thats also part of the equation.
My Buzzbombs are vertical and the head sits on top. Never had an issue with not being able to hear the cab or adjust the amp. These cabs seem to sound better with higher wattage speakers, as such with the Alnicos.

I'm jealous you get to use 4x12s in the clubs. Its sucks bad around here. Managers freaking out... complaints abound without even hearing the volume yet. LOL Years ago I used to use full stacks with no problems, now not so much!

Sure it can get just as loud, but its not just about volume. To me, 2x12s just dont have the fullness that a 4x12 can produce, and always sounded boxy in comparison with the same speakers. You are also moving a lot more air with a 4x12 than with a 2x12, and thats also part of the equation.
My Buzzbombs are vertical and the head sits on top. Never had an issue with not being able to hear the cab or adjust the amp. These cabs seem to sound better with higher wattage speakers, as such with the Alnicos.

I'm jealous you get to use 4x12s in the clubs. Its sucks bad around here. Managers freaking out... complaints abound without even hearing the volume yet. LOL Years ago I used to use full stacks with no problems, now not so much!
I had a Buzzbomb with the Tone Tubby H-Bomb (hemp cone Alnico/Ceramic). Loved that cab! Ran it with a Bandmaster 2x12 with V30’s as a 4x12.

Celestion Vintage 30 installed.jpg

I have Marshall JCM 2000 era 1936 2x12 closed back cab. It originally had a pair of Celestion G12T-75 speakers. I didn't care for the G12T-75 speakers and how they sounded so I took them out and installed a pair of UK made Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. It's a quite big for a 2x12 cab compared to the Marshall 1960A 4x12 speaker cab, but it has a punchy, ballsy sound for its size.

Guitar George

Our clubs and bars just say for us to use what works for us! :)

So why do they let you use two buzz bombs rather than a 412? It's no different in moving them. In fact I find it more of a pain moving two 212 cabs compared to a 412. Plus, the end result is the same as a 412 with 4 speakers, so why do clubs allow two 212s but not a 412?

For a while years ago I had two 212 cabs set vertically but I got annoyed and switched to 412s.

I also used a buzz bomb for years but was so low to the ground, like 18", it drove me nuts.

All the guys I know locally who gig in rock bands, all use a 412. Most of these are old school guys who never even owned a 112 or 212.
My tech has like 10 412s in his basement and he has used those since the 70s. He said he's never once had a club or bar complain. After all a loud PA will hit the audience harder than the 412 anyway. And like I mentioned, the clubs don't mic cabs so it's all stage volume.

Last edited:
how would you compare the Stagecraft and the Splawn?
They were different. My Diagonal OS Stagecraft had different dimensions altogether and it has the 1/3 open back at the top, so it just spread the sound a bit better. I didn't have the Splawn very long, so I recall liking it, but I was flipping a lot of cabs back then.

I preferred the Stagecraft over the Splawn.

I'm not sure anything can replace a 4x12 but I would humbly submit that a 4x10 with the right speakers can bridge the gap btwn 2x12 & 4x12. They're usually about as light as a 2x12 and move a bit more air. I have a Matchless and Marshall 4x10 that get really close to feeling like I'm playing a 4x12 and save my back a little. I had to replace some speakers in the Marshall to get there but the g10 Celestions (of whatever flavor you choose) made all the difference. Otherwise +1 on Mesa Verticals and I agree Buzzbombs 2x12's sound huge.

Our clubs and bars just say for us to use what works for us! :)

So why do they let you use two buzz bombs rather than a 412? It's no different in moving them. In fact I find it more of a pain moving two 212 cabs compared to a 412. Plus, the end result is the same as a 412 with 4 speakers, so why do clubs allow two 212s but not a 412?

For a while years ago I had two 212 cabs set vertically but I got annoyed and switched to 412s.

I also used a buzz bomb for years but was so low to the ground, like 18", it drove me nuts.

All the guys I know locally who gig in rock bands, all use a 412. Most of these are old school guys who never even owned a 112 or 212.
My tech has like 10 412s in his basement and he has used those since the 70s. He said he's never once had a club or bar complain. After all a loud PA will hit the audience harder than the 412 anyway. And like I mentioned, the clubs don't mic cabs so it's all stage volume.
Oh no... Its 1 2x12 in mono in most of the clubs around here. I use Two in stereo when I can, but its not often. I have three full stacks and years ago there was NEVER an issue. We all knew each other in the bands we played with and would usually just share the cabs without having to breakdown and setup, which usually made the sound guy happy. LOL Now,only on a rare occasion, say an outdoor gig, I can bring a 4x12. Buzzbomb vertically is 27 inches high so I dont have any issues with it being too low. Hell, we used to play the Stone Pony with 2 full stacks when we had 2 guitar situation way back when, and then mic'ed on top of that. Now "for logistical purposes" a 2x12 is preferred. Live music is dying around here all together, so I guess I'm just happy there are still places to actually play.

Back on topic, I do have a Seismic Audio 2x12 loaded with with Heritage G12H and its not bad, but those same speakers sounded better in the Ear Candy cab. I think a lot of it comes down to pairing the right speakers with the right 2x12. With all the speakers I own and the cabs I own I think the combo of the Alnico with the Buzzbomb is the closest to a 4x12 I've heard. That might not be the case with a different combo though.
Oh yea, for the record.. Back in the day I woulda laughed for bringing a 2x12 to a gig.."Look at the Girly cab" LOL

I have a KSR 2x12HW on order. Looking forward to hearing this one. I also really loved the Marshall 1936vintage I had

I don't think anyone has mentioned the super light DV Mark 4x12 cabs. They are a little smaller than a Marshall 1960 cab and made of Italian Poplar plywood that is supposed to be light. It's seriously like under 45 pounds and actually sounds really good. If you don't like the speakers you could always swap them out, but if you plan on moving/gigging it make sure you use a Neo magnet since the speakers are just screwed into the front baffle wood itself. And yeah, 4x12s just win. Two 4x12's side by side has always been and will always be my rig.

Oh no... Its 1 2x12 in mono in most of the clubs around here. I use Two in stereo when I can, but its not often. I have three full stacks and years ago there was NEVER an issue. We all knew each other in the bands we played with and would usually just share the cabs without having to breakdown and setup, which usually made the sound guy happy. LOL Now,only on a rare occasion, say an outdoor gig, I can bring a 4x12. Buzzbomb vertically is 27 inches high so I dont have any issues with it being too low. Hell, we used to play the Stone Pony with 2 full stacks when we had 2 guitar situation way back when, and then mic'ed on top of that. Now "for logistical purposes" a 2x12 is preferred. Live music is dying around here all together, so I guess I'm just happy there are still places to actually play.

Back on topic, I do have a Seismic Audio 2x12 loaded with with Heritage G12H and its not bad, but those same speakers sounded better in the Ear Candy cab. I think a lot of it comes down to pairing the right speakers with the right 2x12. With all the speakers I own and the cabs I own I think the combo of the Alnico with the Buzzbomb is the closest to a 4x12 I've heard. That might not be the case with a different combo though.
Oh yea, for the record.. Back in the day I woulda laughed for bringing a 2x12 to a gig.."Look at the Girly cab" LOL
I just can't use less than a 412. I just vibe with it. Lol.
Live music is on the rise around here. We see bands every weekend.
Just my friends band called Old School play a local bar restaurant and had three 412s. :)

I thought you said you used two vertical buzzbombs? That's basically the same as a 412 was my point.

My Revv 120 or Dual Rectifier would never fit on a very cab.

If I had to I'd look at the Stage Craft diagonal 212.

I plate an old VHT 412 once that was defined, hence two speakers missing. So, it was a 412 but only had two speakers. Sounded huge like a 412. I guess it was technically a 212 with massive ports.

Have you tried the Port City 212?
I did talk to a guy who had one and preferred his Stage Craft diagonal 212.
That still won't accommodate my amp heads except my Mark V.

I notice I play better thru a 412. The fatter, deeper tone and feel makes me connect better. Something about the thinner plinkier tone of a 212 impacts my playing.

Last edited:
Back