I finally get the Badlander- it's voiced like the Rev C.

I just got a BL a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. If you go in wanting it to sound like a refined, loose, flubby recto, then you'll be disappointed. It's the complete opposite. Recto's voicing with Mark tightness...period. Fits my style to a Tee.

I love recto voicings but despise their lack of quickness and attack. I hate using a $100 boost to "fix" a $$$$ amp. It's asinine to me unless you're using it to add different shades of color as some do with a clean setup. Had ex-Boogie tech John T do his standard Recto mod to my blacked-out MW recto and good Lord is that one punishing machine of an amp. Surprised more haven't jumped on that wagon as it fixes EVERYTHING bad about a recto and tunes the lows into chest-pounding low end vs loose sub lows.....and still has no NF on the modern mode.

Personally, never played a REV C but the back-to-back clips my buddy Kev has done of his C and BL sound very close with the C having more low mids and scooped mid mids....but the attack and texture are all there and nearly the same, at least in the clips. I don't think anyone can really say unless they have them side-by-side to each other. Even Kev himself feels they do sound very similar but not exact and he has them both side-by-side. Definitely closer to the C than any available recto today.

Here's my quick BL demo.

Last edited:
I just got a BL a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. If you go in wanting it to sound like a refined, loose, flubby recto, then you'll be disappointed. It's the complete opposite. Recto's voicing with Mark tightness...period. Fits my style to a Tee.

I love recto voicings but despise their lack of quickness and attack. I hate using a $100 boost to "fix" a $$$$ amp. It's asinine to me unless you're using it to add different shades of color as some do with a clean setup. Had ex-Boogie tech John T do his standard Recto mod to my blacked-out MW recto and good Lord is that one punishing machine of an amp. Surprised more haven't jumped on that wagon as it fixes EVERYTHING bad about a recto and tunes the lows into chest-pounding low end vs loose sub lows.....and still has no NF on the modern mode.

Personally never played a REV C but the back-to-back clips my buddy Kev has done of his C and BL sound very close with the C having more low mids and scooped mid mids....but the attack and texture are all there and the same. Even Kev himself feels they do sound very similar but not exact. Definitely closer than any available recto today.

Here's my quick BL demo.

HELL YEAH with the John T dude and that insanely good mod.

HELL YEAH with the John T dude and that insanely good mod.
Oh man, it's a crazy good mod that keeps the stock cosmetic look but makes numerous but subtle tweaks to the circuit that adds up to an insanely great-sounding recto. Even under the hood the mods are so well done with original stock boogie parts but with different values that you can't tell it's been modded at first glance.

Personally never played a REV C but the back-to-back clips my buddy Kev has done of his C and BL sound very close with the C having more low mids and scooped mid mids....but the attack and texture are all there and the same. Even Kev himself feels they do sound very similar but not exact. Definitely closer than any available recto today.

Here's my quick BL demo.

Great demo - great tones.
Would love to hear some drop tuning chugga chugga too :yes:
You should create a thread for this too

^ sounds great

how would that sound through the badlander to you think?
There are a lot of similarities between the JT and BL with the BL being tighter with more mids. I think in the mix it would be hard to tell the difference. The time it takes to edit these multi-angle vids is ridiculous. I have great respect for those guys doing those types of vids on a weekly basis AND still maintaining a family and day job.

Personally, never played a REV C but the back-to-back clips my buddy Kev has done of his C and BL sound very close with the C having more low mids and scooped mid mids....but the attack and texture are all there and nearly the same, at least in the clips. I don't think anyone can really say unless they have them side-by-side to each other. Even Kev himself feels they do sound very similar but not exact and he has them both side-by-side. Definitely closer to the C than any available recto today.

Here's my quick BL demo.

That’s the best clip I have heard of one yet , it does not have that grating upper mid

Well I don't have the BL anymore, but I did put this together last night with the C. While they do feel quite a bit different in the room, on the mic the differences are a lit more subtle. Also, the C still sounds absolutely nothing like the SLO I had.

The SLO sounds so different than the Rev C because of the power-amp, they couldn't be voiced any more different, but the pre-amp of the Rev C recto is a complete rip-off of the SLO.

That is a stellar demo; and clearly shows the Badlander’s ability to play 80s stuff no boost needed. Which is exactly what the first Rectos were designed to do.
Ya, the first 500 recto's were made in response to the hair metal thing, but they were a couple years too late, so they quickly revoiced the amp.

Back