1970 Marshall Super PA Mod Suggestions

this is interesting. If I were to pull the transformers to put into a new build would it nuke the value of the super PA if they were put back in? Likewise with pulling the board and putting a new one in and transplanting the original board back in for the future? Is putting a bright cap or something on going to do the same? These are not a deterrent necessarily but just curious if anyone is aware of that.
It would probably diminish the value a bit but not near as much as replacement transformers. Same thing for the board as people want those amps primarily for the transformers and original components. A lot of it would depend on how well it’s done and how astute the person buying it is. Mint condition vintage amps are subject to tons of scrutiny any any doubt of originality will affect price. Bright caps are no biggie on my opinion as long as you keep the original.

It would probably diminish the value a bit but not near as much as replacement transformers. Same thing for the board as people want those amps primarily for the transformers and original components. A lot of it would depend on how well it’s done and how astute the person buying it is. Mint condition vintage amps are subject to tons of scrutiny any any doubt of originality will affect price. Bright caps are no biggie on my opinion as long as you keep the original.
Since we are on the topic here are some pics of the amp amp. The headshell is in excellent condition for the age. A couple notable things. A master volume was added on the back replacing one of the jacks (no drilling). It has had a recap and tube swap. The selector for impedance has been swapped. Unsure on the rest on the rear. Still has a 2 prong power cable on it (with the polarity switch on front)

The transformers appear original. One notable thing, a lot of amps from this era have a laydown transformer (I believe the Dagnall T 2562). This one has a vertical Dagnall T 2623, which apparently is the same transformer in a vertical spec. My understanding is these vertical transformers were used in Marshall amps as early as 1969 (alongside the laydown) and the laydown phased out until the vertical became the norm. Otherwise nothing notable up top.

sdf44w476hnszy3v7bth.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 4.17.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 4.25.48 PM.png

Cool amp! It looks like all the electrolytics have been replaced as well as a few other things. Are those gray caps Radio Spares?

The switcher thing could possibly work for different input combinations like plexi jumpering or cascading stages, etc. It can split, mix, change order.

kind of dangerous to have that speaker jack floppin around in there.
Unsure. I’ll have to take a look here. Also I’m not happy about that. Depending I’ll clean it up or remove the mod. With the replacements in here I wonder if it’s worth preserving in terms of the originality (since there have been a few changes)

Back