You prefer way to run modeling amp

WhiteShadow

Thinking mostly floor units like fractal fm3, helix, headrush, etc. How do you prefer to use them for live gigs, for home/Practice, etc... Frfr? In front of amp? Something else?

When I had a Kemper I used it for in-ear with band and direct to FOH. Don’t see the need for a modeler for home use anymore. The plug-ins are too god today. I use the NDSP SLO at home.

Thinking mostly floor units like fractal fm3, helix, headrush, etc. How do you prefer to use them for live gigs, for home/Practice, etc... Frfr? In front of amp? Something else?
Hopefully Todd (Victim5150) will jump in here. He has used so much stuff for his gigs and can give great info

I now use an FM9, previously AX8 and Axe III. Very simply, FM9 + one EV1 expression for wah. One mono out to personal FRFR monitor over which I have complete control, one mono out to FOH which also comes back in stage monitors (sometimes I dispense with personal FRFR and just piggyback on the stage monitor depending on what gear the sound guy brings). WIth my Mono dual guitar case/bag I can load in out in one trip. This is for a typical bar/private event type band.

I only use for home/practice. I run through my studio monitors. I usually mix in some pedals through a loop on it.

I personally did not like the FRFR with the Kemper. With the HX Stomp and the Quad Cortex I really enjoyed using a fryette powerstation or the KSR PA50. Honestly though I prefer using a modeler at home with a computer. Run my amps through a cab. I haven't played a show in a couple years but I would like to try running a line out to FOH while running a cab for stage volume. I doubt I will ever play another show though honestly.

Having said that I sold my QC and grabbed another HX stomp then I sold the HX stomp and went to using plugins. It's always grass is greener

Run through a tube power amp and a 4x12. Modeling is good for modeling, not amplifying.

I run my PodGo directly into the PA and use Shure IEMs. I just purchased a Helix LT and will be using that soon. I was using the PodGo with my mini Jubilee 1/4 stack using the 4 cable method and just using the effects as my pedalboard. That is the best sounding rig for me. I played the last few gigs with just the podgo due to convenience...I can pack up in about 3 minutes and head home, which you can't beat. Depending on the gig, I'll still use the Jube once in a while since its a killer amp. I love the PodGo and LT, but you just can't beat the response of a real amp, although you can get used to the shortfalls of modeling since they aren't dealbreakers, imho.

I think it depends on the venue, whether there's a supplied backline, and overall size/PA quality.

Generally speaking, though, I prefer running my Helix in 4CM with one of my amps. I have a RJM Amp Gizmo also to cover midi switching by snapshot... makes for a well integrated rig.

But if it's a small show and/or I really don't want to break my back loading in, I just take my QSC K10.2 and the Helix and call it a day. Either put the QSC behind me (if the PA is only for vocals... say for a block party or something)... or put the QSC in front of me as a wedge if I'll have reinforcement from a PA.

I have tried FRFR and my preferred way to my ears is a 2 12 or 4 12 cab using something like a Fryette PS2 . I could never really jive with the FR FR systems maybe because the FRFR have to high a range of frequencies where as a guitar cab does not .

Currently a Quilter Powerblock 45 into a pair of Bogner cubes. Plan on getting the Quilter 101, for more headroom

I recently got a FM3. I have it running into my KRK powered monitors and it’s pretty amazing. I still have my amps but this tiny FM3 is pretty damn fun.

AxeFX 2 Output 1 -> 2 x KRK VXTs
Or for cab
AxeFX 2 Output 2 -> Palmer Macht 402 Stereo -> 2x12 V30 Cab

Kemper - monitor out to my Fryette PS-2 into a 212 cab on stage. XLR to the house. I run a pedalboard in front of the Kemper and through the loop.

Axe FX II XL Output one to Front of House. Output two to my HeadRush 112 FRFR.

Depending upon where I am playing, I run the FM3 or Axe III into an Orange pedalbaby 100 and into either a Bogner Cube or Bogner 212CB. One output goes to the cab onstage with the IRs bypassed and the other output to FOH. There are times though that I just bring an ASC-10 with me and tilt it up for monitoring and go to FOH.

At some venues we have some really great monitors so I just bring the unit and no cabs or speakers. We have not moved to in ears as of yet.

Whether Kemper, VST amp/cab sims, or my Suhr Pt-15IR, I prefer to run into my studio monitors, I play through them almost exclusively and always have, regardless of whether it was my old KRK Rokit 5s, or my current Neumann KH80 DSP/KH750 setup, monitors have been my preferred way to play guitar since I was able to.

Back