Yngwie

Hooooo Braddah Cuz, I got to see him at a small club in PDX on that first Rising Force tour and it was just face melting. Badass and then some...I’ve seen him a couple times since then but it’s never been on the level of that first show. Few things ive seen compare to that actually, I think it was all still so new and over the top that the ‘WTF Factor’ was strong like li hing mui or Zippys Wahiawa at 2:00 am.
for whatever reason i was predestined to know about yngz from the jump

local honolulu metal station 98 rock dj cynthia fox had a metal hour program and she played steeler one night when the album first came out, and the “hot on your heels” intro solo came on and it was face punching.

caught the bus the next day to hungry ear record shop and scored the LP

next i was randomly listening to the radio and graham bonnett was a guest on the metal hour show the following year. he was in town promoting the new Alcatrazz LP and an upcoming concert date with his band, and he world premiered the “island in the sun” single with yngkwie flying around the solo and i couldn’t believe it!

saw the show with a few hundred people at UH ballroom. that was amazing but the first rising force tour at pomona valley auditorium with jeff scott soto plus brothers anders and jens johanson was so intense! he was a freak back then!

for whatever reason i was predestined to know about yngz from the jump

local honolulu metal station 98 rock dj cynthia fox had a metal hour program and she played steeler one night when the album first came out, and the “hot on your heels” intro solo came on and it was face punching.

caught the bus the next day to hungry ear record shop and scored the LP

next i was randomly listening to the radio and graham bonnett was a guest on the metal hour show the following year. he was in town promoting the new Alcatrazz LP and an upcoming concert date with his band, and he world premiered the “island in the sun” single with yngkwie flying around the solo and i couldn’t believe it!

saw the show with a few hundred people at UH ballroom. that was amazing but the first rising force tour at pomona valley auditorium with jeff scott soto plus brothers anders and jens johanson was so intense! he was a freak back then!
I can't even imagine what that would have been like to see him then. He would have been like an alien amongst all of the guys still playing the 70's style, with a hint of EVH.

He has seemed to fall into the great musician category that has not progressed into anything new or interesting. I remenber about 10 years ago when Joe Satriani said he really just discovered the blues. Really? Just now? Great guitars players, like Jeff Beck, that can play anything and everything and incorporate it into something new, are the ones that will always keep my interest.
That’s is interesting. I remember seeing an interview with joe satriani when I was …. Maybe 20 years old- circa 1989 ish. Anyway, something struck me about what he said in the interview because I still don’t understand what he meant but Joe said he watched and studied Jimi Hendrix for years to learn his “wrist rock”. Maybe he learned a technique to play rhythm but not play Jimi’s style of blues? Idk. Maybe Joe just sayin’ he is doing something different to get more followers. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I know I didn’t just make this shit up..

I can't even imagine what that would have been like to see him then. He would have been like an alien amongst all of the guys still playing the 70's style, with a hint of EVH.
exactly. i was just wrapping my mind around VH and Randy and then YJM just supernova’d in their midst. each shredded uniquely and carved their own places in rock guitar history. VH is unquestionably the man for universal popularity and record sales (don’t seem to recall quincy and m.j. knocking on yngwie’s door).

but technically i’d wager yngwie could cop vh and rhoads solos much easier than vice versa.

That’s is interesting. I remember seeing an interview with joe satriani when I was …. Maybe 20 years old- circa 1989 ish. Anyway, something struck me about what he said in the interview because I still don’t understand what he meant but Joe said he watched and studied Jimi Hendrix for years to learn his “wrist rock”. Maybe he learned a technique to play rhythm but not play Jimi’s style of blues? Idk. Maybe Joe just sayin’ he is doing something different to get more followers. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I know I didn’t just make this shit up..
I don't remember that but I did think his playing was more likeable after he "found the blues".

I wish Yngwie would want to squash any beef with any his former bandmates.

He heard Jeff was at the show, why doesn't he say, "you know what? Let me go say hi to an old buddy and bandmate because the past is in the past. Hell maybe we can even do a project together, I can sure use a singer like him..."

Doesn't look like that will ever happen which is very unfortunate!!
His ego is on inter-gallactic measurements.

Part of being a great player is having a great band behind you. These guys don't look like contributing members, just some side-men literally on one side of the stage, while Yngwie hogs the other half of the stage. The wall of Marshalls is ridiculous. He's likely plugged into one head.
the hair-tossing, pick-throwing.....his usual shtick just doesn't fly for a 60 year old guy, as well as the 70's outfit.
He never had a better band than Rising Force or Alcatrazz. Over the period of DECADES he's went nowhere, never expanded.

Part of being a great player is having a great band behind you. These guys don't look like contributing members, just some side-men literally on one side of the stage, while Yngwie hogs the other half of the stage. The wall of Marshalls is ridiculous. He's likely plugged into one head.
the hair-tossing, pick-throwing.....his usual shtick just doesn't fly for a 60 year old guy, as well as the 70's outfit.
He never had a better band than Rising Force or Alcatrazz. Over the period of DECADES he's went nowhere, never expanded.
I beg to differ, donuts= expansion :cool:

Soto has lost his voice. Boals can still do it though tuned lower but he is an incredible singer and should be cheap enough to not get in Yngwie's way. I just wish "Kelly Simonz" would just call himself " Akira Shintaki" or whatever his name is lol.. don't get the purpose of his stage name. But anyway... Boals is fantastic still.

Can you imagine if Yngwie was open to doing more collaborations? I love the stuff he contributed to Derek Sherinians albums. If Yngwie teamed up with Michael Romeo for a neoclassical shred album, (and it was produced by Romeo), I think that would create a supernova.

Back