New high gain options ?

MYLILSS

So I’ve been out of the loop for a while, and now that I’m back I’m lost. What’s the go to high gain amp these days ? New preferred. Something 2 channel, Individual eq, all tube, nothing fancy. Anything new out, that rivals the glorious amps of the 90’s and early 2000’s ??

There’s a wizard MTL and a DVL for sale in the classifieds. Highly recommend the DVL if you have the coin. The 68 mode is the same as what’s in the metroplex.

People really like the evh 5150 III 50W varieties now. Good bang for your buck.

Other than that? The majority of the amps I own were manufactured before 2000.

^His signature says he has an EVH amp, which is pretty much a modern high gain channel switcher.

MYLILSS - how much do you want to spend and what kind of tones are you after? So depending on what you are going for I'm going to recommend a Splawn Nitro or a Mesa Badlander. The VHT Pittbull I played was pretty brutal too.

^His signature says he has an EVH amp, which is pretty much a modern high gain channel switcher.

MYLILSS - how much do you want to spend and what kind of tones are you after? So depending on what you are going for I'm going to recommend a Splawn Nitro or a Mesa Badlander. The VHT Pittbull I played was pretty brutal too.
What he said. If you’ve got an EVH, a Badlander would give you another flavor that is voiced much like the Rev C Rectos of the early 90s.

Since I got my Hermansson 5 gain stage it took over as my favorite. But I do mix it with Wizard MTL2 so those two newer amps definitely changed my rig as favorites. Im on list for Ground Zero which seems like an awesome amp and some people on here give them stellar reviews so I’d add that as well

A few names that haven’t been mentioned… KSR is doing boutique for the Mesa/6505 crowd. Dean Costello’s Heavy Metal Warfare has some buzz, but uses a shared EQ. Barton High Voltage is still pretty small, but the transmission ticks your boxes. Science decolonizer is also a potential fit, but the wait time is brutal.

Not really the new rage, but ENGL has some good high gain options if you like their signature compression.

Omega Granophyre, KSR Ares, Driftwood Purple Nightmare are a couple of other good high gain options that come to mind.

For the more price conscientious the EVH line seems to be the best option.

Thanks for the suggestions ! I’m gonna dig into some of them and see what’s up.

I’ve always used my JSX and block letter for live use and while they are workhorses they are old, so I’m considering getting something newer, but with a few more options or flavors.

Back