Fryette power station into pa

Dominick9666

I’m having trouble running my power station into my mixer. I tried through line out also through XLRbalanced out and nothing. I’m running aHelix into the power amp through into line in. But going out from line out out XLR balanced out I get nothing.
What am I doing wrong??

You don't want to go direct from PowerStation to PA. There is no speaker emulation in the Power Station. It will sound extremely harsh and terrible. You need some type of speaker emulation or IR in between.

Do what JLR is saying. Even better, split your path in the Helix and put an IR or speaker block on the path leading to the XLR out, and rout that to your PA.

What are you trying to achieve?? Why are you using the PS instead for plugging the Helix directly in? Are you missing something in your OP

This video completely explains everything you need to do. The trick is you need to watch the entire video and do exactly what it says to do.

This video completely explains everything you need to do. The trick is you need to watch the entire video and do exactly what it says to do.

He's using a Helix though, not a tube amp. The question at this point is why he's using a Power Station at all when the Helix should take care of all the poweramp and cab simulations itself.

I’m having trouble running my power station into my mixer. I tried through line out also through XLRbalanced out and nothing. I’m running aHelix into the power amp through into line in. But going out from line out out XLR balanced out I get nothing.
What am I doing wrong??

Hey man, I'm on your side here, but you are going to blow something up if you're not careful.

For one, why are you using a Power Station with the Helix at all? A Power Station is a device specifically made to take tube amps and bring their output safely down to line level while preserving its tone. But you've got a Helix. It already outputs a signal at line level. What you want to do is plug your Helix output directly into your mixer. Don't even bother using the Power Station unless you have a real tube amp to use with it.

Also, the reason you're getting no sound from the Power Station is probably this, from the Power Station's manual:

"IMPORTANT: The SPEAKER 1 jack has an open load protection feature. If no cable is connected
to this jack the Power Station will remain locked in BYPASS/STANDBY mode regardless of the
front panel Standby switch setting. This is done to prevent potential damage to your valuable
vintage amp should the speaker cable become disconnected while in Bypass mode."

And another warning... If you plug a cable into the Power Station's speaker output jack with no guitar cabinet plugged into the other side, you'll blow up the Power Station's tube power section.

Perhaps he is trying to achieve what's going on the fryette video where it's expained how to use a pre amp into the PS and the use line out into a mixer. I've wondered a few things about this video myself. Like could you still run a cab in the set up?

Perhaps he is trying to achieve what's going on the fryette video where it's expained how to use a pre amp into the PS and the use line out into a mixer. I've wondered a few things about this video myself. Like could you still run a cab in the set up?

tiW3UVd.png

That's cool as hell. I had no idea these things could do that. Well, there's the answer to the OP's question.

He's using a Helix though, not a tube amp. The question at this point is why he's using a Power Station at all when the Helix should take care of all the poweramp and cab simulations itself.

Hey man, I'm on your side here, but you are going to blow something up if you're not careful.

For one, why are you using a Power Station with the Helix at all? A Power Station is a device specifically made to take tube amps and bring their output safely down to line level while preserving its tone. But you've got a Helix. It already outputs a signal at line level. What you want to do is plug your Helix output directly into your mixer. Don't even bother using the Power Station unless you have a real tube amp to use with it.

Also, the reason you're getting no sound from the Power Station is probably this, from the Power Station's manual:

"IMPORTANT: The SPEAKER 1 jack has an open load protection feature. If no cable is connected
to this jack the Power Station will remain locked in BYPASS/STANDBY mode regardless of the
front panel Standby switch setting. This is done to prevent potential damage to your valuable
vintage amp should the speaker cable become disconnected while in Bypass mode."

And another warning... If you plug a cable into the Power Station's speaker output jack with no guitar cabinet plugged into the other side, you'll blow up the Power Station's tube power section.
You need to actually watch the entire video. It explains in detail exactly what to do.

Yes you can run a cab. Take the line out of the Power Station run it to a poweramp. Poweramp to a speaker cab. You need a other poweramp.

See one post above yours, bro.
I saw it. That is a different video. The one I posted gives a more detailed explanation of what to do. Seeing both videos is a good idea. They are both basically covering the self attenuation of the Power Station.

Last edited:
I saw it. That is a different video. The one I posted gives a more detailed explanation of what to do. Seeing both videos is a good idea. They are both basically covering the self attenuation of the Power Station.

That's the video I watched. The Power Station's reactive load section and power section are separate and can be routed into each other. "Line In -> Speaker Out" is one isolated path, and "Amp In -> Line Out" is another separate path. It's really cool.

The one thing Steve didn't mention in his video that Joe mentioned in the video he did is the ohms settings. It is important.

A detailed explanation in the manual of the self attenuation feature would be useful. I don't think that has happened.

Anyone that owns a Power Station should take a look at the manual, the diagrams on the Fryette site and all the videos by Fryette if they want a clear idea of all possibilities. They cover ground loops and a lot of other important information.

It is a lot of information and questions are expected. We don't want anyone causing damage to gear using it wrong.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzdbyoIlqZ5C9GeuruaOKcjJjk93LSfCB

Last edited:
So, can the Power Station be used as only a reactive load, bypassing the tube power section? I'm assuming if you routed an amp into "Amp In -> Line Out" then that's what you'd be doing. In that case, would the Power Station even need to be powered on, or would it work entirely without power, like for example the Suhr Reactive Load does?

Yes you can run a cab. Take the line out of the Power Station run it to a poweramp. Poweramp to a speaker cab. You need a other poweramp.
I was asking, he runs the one speaker jack back into the amp in, there are 2 speaker out Jack's. Could the 2nd be used for a traditional cab? Seems odd that you could besides the way you described, hopeful tho. Is the fryette pre amp in the video tube? As well as isnt a helix a preamp? I know its everything else too, maybe even pours cold beer.. but seriously I consider it a pre amp?

So, can the Power Station be used as only a reactive load, bypassing the tube power section? I'm assuming if you routed an amp into "Amp In -> Line Out" then that's what you'd be doing. In that case, would the Power Station even need to be powered on, or would it work entirely without power, like for example the Suhr Reactive Load does?
Yes....but read the manual so your doing it correctly.

I was asking, he runs the one speaker jack back into the amp in, there are 2 speaker out Jack's. Could the 2nd be used for a traditional cab? Seems odd that you could besides the way you described, hopeful tho. Is the fryette pre amp in the video tube? As well as isnt a helix a preamp? I know its everything else too, maybe even pours cold beer.. but seriously I consider it a pre amp?
I don't know if you can use the 2nd speaker output on the PS-2 when using the self attenuation feature. The PS-100 has only one speaker out.

Yes the

VALVULATOR® GP/DI​

is tube. Actually it is a full amp. There is a lot of information available on the Fryette site about it. Way too much to cover here. If that is what your asking about.

The rest of your questions are covered in the video I posted in my first post in this thread.

Last edited:
Back