Wizard MCII vs. W800

Apologize if this was covered in another thread (I looked). I currently own an MTL MKII. Looking for something to complement it with more prominent high mids (going to remain in the mid to high gain realm). I’ve checked out the YT videos on the W800, but that’s doing it a disservice.

Any thoughts and laymen comparisons on these 2 models and what overlap they may have?

I'm also curious if the W800 has increased mids and upper mids over the MC series in a similar fashion as to how the MC amps have over the MTL series.

If you listen to this, to me, this is more what it sounded like with v 30s. With the h30 annies I use, it is more highs in it, less of that wolfy bass. But the gain structure is very clear here. It is very raw. Not refined. Harsh would be a good word. It may be a bit smoother with the kt 88s that henson has, but with the el34s, this is a pretty good representation. Remember some of the sound is from the fact that he is just demoing it and didn't really set on an eq. I have mine set up a bit icepicky for some people's taste.

If you listen to this, to me, this is more what it sounded like with v 30s. With the h30 annies I use, it is more highs in it, less of that wolfy bass. But the gain structure is very clear here. It is very raw. Not refined. Harsh would be a good word. It may be a bit smoother with the kt 88s that henson has, but with the el34s, this is a pretty good representation. Remember some of the sound is from the fact that he is just demoing it and didn't really set on an eq. I have mine set up a bit icepicky for some people's taste.

Lows sound tubby and something staticky, almost white noise ish in the high end unrelated to the notes, is happening during the chugs. Leads sound good though.

Lows sound tubby and something staticky, almost white noise ish in the high end unrelated to the notes, is happening during the chugs. Leads sound good though.
Yeah. I hear something similar through my studio monitors with the lows on this video. In person, nothing like that with mine at least. As far as the white noise in the highs, You can hear that if you dial the treble really high. It is fairly unaffected by the presence. I use more presence than treble, so I don't have that character. The way I dial it, is kind of like another amp with a boost. So i am just plugged straight in.

Attachments

• 277115319_343070337793306_2814311475493456806_n.jpg
    277115319_343070337793306_2814311475493456806_n.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 96
I own an MC2 KT150 and a W800 KT150. More upper mids in the W800. It's definitely more marshallesque in the voicing compared to the MC2. The MC2 has a bit more gain.

Thanks, guys. Don't know if this is in my immediate future, but it sounds like the W800 would span the gap a little more in my lineup.

Does anyone have a vintage JCM800 that sounds good?
I've heard a ton, and none sound great....muddy lows, weak top end responce and clarity...

Does anyone have a vintage JCM800 that sounds good?
I've heard a ton, and none sound great....muddy lows, weak top end responce and clarity...
I had a 1983 2203 for a bit. It was apparently modded at one point and then brought back to stock by a reputable tech. I did find it smooth and warm compared to a 2203x reissue. I remember it being a little muddy in the lows. I greatly preferred the 2203x. Much more bite and high end, clearer low end.

Ended up getting a MCII. It covered the exact itch I was hoping it would. The upper mids focus over the MTL is more pronounced than I expected. The rhythm channel is a perfect platform for boosting. I can coax the Plexi tones I was hoping to achieve. I noticed that the rhythm channel also has a pull function which further emphasizes and drives the highs / high mids. Not sure what it’s doing but I really like it.

I’m able to cover a lot of ground between the channels (including the hidden channel) and boosting (running a Peper’s Dirty Tree into it).

Back