Hetfield is "insecure" and needs hugs

At the end of the day I guess I always held Metallica to a higher standard because the "old" stuff meant alot to me...

Peace Out

At the end of the day I guess I always held Metallica to a higher standard because the "old" stuff meant alot to me...

Peace Out
that is the problem. everyone does.
They set the bar so high for themselves in those first 5 records... first 3 especially... that nothing is going to touch those records, no matter what.
Same problem with just about ALL of the "Legacy Acts". In flames is another band like that. after colony they lost 75% of their old fans, and gained a huge chunk of the young metal crowd with the generic, poorly produced, shit they put out now.

Seriously though, watch this video, evaluate James’s emotional distortions in this song
and the troubles he wrestled with
on stage the other night that went viral on YouTube.

The Unforgiven trilogy is amazing and it depicts perfectly the different stages of maturity Hetfield has gone through. The Unforgiven III is really underrated.

that is the problem. everyone does.
They set the bar so high for themselves in those first 5 records... first 3 especially... that nothing is going to touch those records, no matter what.
Same problem with just about ALL of the "Legacy Acts". In flames is another band like that. after colony they lost 75% of their old fans, and gained a huge chunk of the young metal crowd with the generic, poorly produced, shit they put out now.

*pours one out for what that band once was

Holy shit you guys think Metallica fell from grace? At least the direction they went was good for what it was. Load+Reload weren't great "Metallica" albums but they are still some of the best sounding rock records ever made and the best songs from those albums can still stand up to anything.

In Flames on the other hand went from being one of the most kickass metal bands with some of the best riffs ever (and personally speaking, my favorite band for years) to... total unlistenable shit. Just complete irredeemable garbage.

Last edited:
ex5c9qJ.jpg

I really dug "Hardwired..." and thought it was a great album. For anyone who thinks Metallica should still be singing "Whiplash" type lyrics about motorcades and thrashing around, wait until you are my age. Here are the songs I would write now if they were about my life:
- I can't sleep
- Why does my back hurt?
- I can't read without glasses

Like most bands, those early albums are a combination of analog, a young band, a moment in time, and metal rising. A Metallica show now is nachos, craft beer, and a weight lifting 70 year old wearing an "Affliction" shirt while his girlfriend yells "Yah James, play Unforgiven!!". Still my band though and I was there at the beginning in 85' with a copied version of "Kill Em' All" on cassette.

Metallica is alright. I never liked much metal other than Black Sabbath and Tool. I was more into Cure, Depeche Mode or Thompson Twins back then. Coke was such a big part of music back then everything sounded kind of anxious and paranoid. I would rather listen to the Temptations or The Supremes these days if listening to old music.

Looks like James can stop worrying, cause he can definitely still play. The real surprising part is Lars, his drumming here is very solid. It almost sounds like he's playing to a click cause his tempo is very consistent throughout, and his double kick is flawless too, that really surprised me cause sometimes it's terrible. Maybe Lars has been practicing?

Looks like James can stop worrying, cause he can definitely still play. The real surprising part is Lars, his drumming here is very solid. It almost sounds like he's playing to a click cause his tempo is very consistent throughout, and his double kick is flawless too, that really surprised me cause sometimes it's terrible. Maybe Lars has been practicing?

I’m usually their biggest critic cause it bums me out how bad they are live but they really are sounding good now, it’s nice to hear them playing tightly at the correct tempo instead of everything at 1.5x speed at which they can’t play.

Alot bands just need to know when to call it quits.
I think Metallica have another 5 to 7 years in them. I just can't see them thrashing out "battery" or "blackend" or something like "whiplash" at 70 years old, which will be another 11 - 12 years from now, but then again, who knows??

Seriously though, watch this video, evaluate James’s emotional distortions in this song
and the troubles he wrestled with
on stage the other night that went viral on YouTube.

So many people think "The Unforgiven" is the best song on the Black Album but I disagree. I think "Wherever I may Roam" is by far the best song on the album, just the way it's arranged and flows is so great, the only part I don't like is Kirk Hammett's outro solo, it's kinda distracting. Other than that it's a masterpiece of songwriting.

Still my band though and I was there at the beginning in 85' with a copied version of "Kill Em' All" on cassette.

euh, “kill em all” was released in 83 and ride the lightning in 84. I was in high school then and was blown away. But I get what you are saying. People get older and evolve, also musically. That said, I dont find them interesting on a personal level.

Never liked Metalica and never will. Very mediocre talent, all the way around. They are the Talyor Swift of metal. They all act like a bunch of little bitches, except for the bass player.

I'd feel insecure too if my lead guitarist played like this at a high school talent show, let alone a stadium of fans:

Back