Triaxis and 2-ninety??? Is it any good??

What a rig. Wow.

Totally agree with you about the Triaxis needing an external EQ though. I get that Mesa wanted to make a 1U preamp, however I can't help but think about how awesome something like a 2U Traixis with the 2nd row dedicated to a digitally controlled 5 band GEQ would have been.

I know it doesn't do much good to sit around what-if-ing, but I feel like they must have considered doing that, given how much of an obvious compromise (not to mention how universally disliked) the Dynamic Voice control was.
I have a few Boss GE-10 GEQ's and they also sounded phenomenal with the triaxis preamps. Add a rack drawer and boom!!! They blew away the Mesa GEQ pedal they put out a few years ago.

As someone who had a massive rack with a version 1 and dual recto (non fat) units, I will say they are killer. I had both of my Triaxis units modded for the ++ mod on the 2C+ channel (Done by Mike or John Marshall). I also had added switching to both units so I could turn on/off the custom boogie stereo GEQ. The one thing I hated with both triaxis’ was the internal GEQ…it wasn’t to my liking. As a big fan of the Strategy 400, mine were modded with depth circuits so for me it sounded and felt better than the 2-90. The tone was insane. I would run each triaxis on one side for a stereo sound. My friend Joe helped me with a lot of this stuff.

View attachment 121660
View attachment 121663
WOW! Nice!

Do you know how the ++ mod was done? You're pushing me into buying the thing :D

Killer, Killer rig. All sorts in there, I dig the Pseudo Recto tones (Red), Mark I Cleans + Lead II yellow.

The Tones are top drawer for Cleans, Blues Tones, Fusion, Metal. Only thing you might not get is the British style crunch, but I guess you dont buy it for that.

WOW! Nice!

Do you know how the ++ mod was done? You're pushing me into buying the thing :D
I don't know how to do it. It was done at Mesa Boogie. One was done by Mike B, the other was done by John Marshall. It adds in a lot of gain. Mike B might tell you since you are in another country.

As someone who had a massive rack with a version 1 and dual recto (non fat) units, I will say they are killer. I had both of my Triaxis units modded for the ++ mod on the 2C+ channel (Done by Mike or John Marshall). I also had added switching to both units so I could turn on/off the custom boogie stereo GEQ. The one thing I hated with both triaxis’ was the internal GEQ…it wasn’t to my liking. As a big fan of the Strategy 400, mine were modded with depth circuits so for me it sounded and felt better than the 2-90. The tone was insane. I would run each triaxis on one side for a stereo sound. My friend Joe helped me with a lot of this stuff.

View attachment 121660
View attachment 121663
you win for solving the crappy dynamic voice internal eq with that cool custom dual graphic deal!
had the DV sounded as good as the classic mark series graphics, with midi control, i may have kept my triaxis.

I have a few Boss GE-10 GEQ's and they also sounded phenomenal with the triaxis preamps. Add a rack drawer and boom!!! They blew away the Mesa GEQ pedal they put out a few years ago.
i’d imagine the newer source audio or boss digital eqs with midi would work nicely if the sound wasn’t too compromised digitally nor hampered by the triaxis output level into the pedal.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...5e9b&msclkid=15ab59aae7641bd5b2f33b321b725e9b
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...772d&msclkid=415e1122f196182ddb5073ba0dc3772d

Here's something neat. It's expensive... but cool. It's an analog EQ, but digitally controlled. This means you have all the advantages of digital (programable, presets, etc) but no DA/AD conversion.

lK8HFs2.jpg

https://www.freethetone.com/en/products/detail18/
Youtube demos show that you can only boost or cut in 1 db increments from -12 to +12, so its resolution isn't as fine as most standard analog EQ's. I guess that's the drawback. Still, cool pedal.

Last edited:
great gear great price
rhythm yellow hyperclean and LD II yellow are worth the proce of admission
(former V2 no fat mod/395 owner)

True that lead 2 yellow is perfect solo tone to my ears. Fluid, liquid awesomeness !

I have the Free The Tone above and currently use it with my SLO. It sounds great. I'm not sure resolution is 1dB though because there are 128 values for each slider.

edit : I just checked and only the output level has 128 values, the eq sliders have 1db resolution. I never really noticed it when tweaking so it's not that bad to my ears.

Last edited:
i’d imagine the newer source audio or boss digital eqs with midi would work nicely if the sound wasn’t too compromised digitally nor hampered by the triaxis output level into the pedal.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...5e9b&msclkid=15ab59aae7641bd5b2f33b321b725e9b
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...772d&msclkid=415e1122f196182ddb5073ba0dc3772d
I agree that a midi eq pedal would be killer with it. I basically set it and forgot it when using the triaxis. I did create a few presets that would engage the onboard EQ so I didnt have to touch the custom GEQ.

I had a source audio EQ2 and I hated it. I tried to use it to push a stock Marshall and it failed miserably. I made a video and source audio contacted me. Evidentially I found a massive flaw in it.... this was a few years ago so I don't know if they fixed it.

I also had that setup as my main gigging rig for years. I agree, it needs an EQ in the loop to really get the most out of it.

I went away from the TriAxis setup for something more modern sounding (and also lighter.)

Another difference between V.1 and V.2 is the ability for real time control of parameters via MIDI. Ie. Using an expression pedal. Introduced for V.2

One of my biggest regrets was selling my Triaxis/ 2:90 So dynamic and flexible. The Triaxis and 2:90 were made for each other. Half , Modern and Deep modes on the 2:90 were awesome. And the Triaxis itself could deliver just about any tone I wanted. Here is an example I recorded 12 years ago on a cheap digital camera ... me messing around with a tone I dialed in. And I already know I'm playing the Master of Puppets riff wrong. 😆 🤣 😂

One of my biggest regrets was selling my Triaxis/ 2:90 So dynamic and flexible. The Triaxis and 2:90 were made for each other. Half , Modern and Deep modes on the 2:90 were awesome. And the Triaxis itself could deliver just about any tone I wanted. Here is an example I recorded 12 years ago on a cheap digital camera ... me messing around with a tone I dialed in. And I already know I'm playing the Master of Puppets riff wrong. 😆 🤣 😂

I just really appreciate that someone with a user name Fret Shredder can actually shred frets..lol
How many frets could a fret shredder shred if a fret shredder could shred frets

I had this combo many times, but I've come to the conclusion that the triaxis is not for me. Too compressed sounding. The mesa quad preamp I had after I sold my 1st triaxis would put it to shame. More raw and open sounding.
Nevertheless, 1K for both units is a steal. One trick that does help is to use an external EQ

I had a Triaxis + 2:90 and Marshall JMP-1 + Mesa Strategy 500. Ended up running both together for a bit through the S500 and sold the Triaxis and 2:90. It was pretty cool but i always liked the more raw JMP-1 and girth of the 500 together.

Yes, the 2:90 with the Triaxis V2 no fat mod is definitely killer. I had V2 2 with the fat mod and sent it to Mesa to get it taken out and it was well worth it. It really made Lead 1 Red useable.

My favorite combo for metal tones was Lead 1 Red for rhythm (without the fat mod) and Lead 2 Red for leads. It was almost (although not quite) like having a Recto for your rhythm tone and a Mark III/IV for your lead tone. I used the DV with both channels and it really helped with the tone.

Last edited:
From a price standpoint, it seems like a good deal but it's an old unit and reliability and mentainance isues will arrive sooner or later. The price is an illusion really.
I jumped off the rack thing years ago, as it was money and time consuming but most importantly, the tone was not there.
You're better off with a Mark V and whatever multieffect unit suits you best. Problem free rig with great tone and all the versatility you'll ever need from a Mesa Mark sound. Add a recto reborn later, as I did and you're pretty much done with the Mesa sound.
Off with a Marshall afterwards 😉

Back