Which Modern Players have a voice?

I second Ian Thornley but, the guy I wish would have more out there is Doug Rappoport. For me his phrasing and his bends are the best. Anything I hear him do is inspiring to me…

I don't know about modern and having a voice but the shit I listen to is relevant to me and recognizable to me.

Mastodon
Slipknot
John 5
Tim Mahoney - 311
Brad Millabeats - Tree One Four
John Frusciante - RHCP

All these guys have fresh music

Andy James...Guthrie Govan...Fred Brum..Matteo Mancuso...Wes Thrailkill...Andre Nieri...Tom Quale....Martin Miller...Angel Vivaldi..Marco Sfogli..

Last edited:
Matteo Mancuso . Not even a style I listen to lots but he’s definitely a top modem player

It’s why I listen to rap the most, I’m much more interested in good beats these days than rehashed guitar playing. Most of the stuff I come up with comes from jamming over rap and hip hop.

I need new. If it sounds rehashed then I'm usually not going to be moved by it. So if they sound like earlier stuff I listened to: 70s hard rock/80s shred/metal/90s grunge it's probably going to be boring to me. We already did that. And I've heard/seen plenty of fretboard gymnastics and speed, I want more content/better writing. Plini comes to mind but I know he's not popular around here. He's a great player but it's his writing that draws me in.

I keep thinking that the new breed of proficient players are going to find their own direction and anyone expecting a rehash of 80s metal/shred will probably not approve and be disappointed. Just like the older "Clapton et al crew" scoffed at EVH and Yngwie when they came out.

Question to the OP, are you looking for new guys, guys under 40, under 30 that have a new sound, or are you looking for new guys that have the old sound, but do it well?

It seems from the responses here that most are just looking for a rehash of what they like (Big Wreck as the example). There is nothing wrong with that, I love guys like Gus G and Kiko L, but both of those guys are over 40 and have been releasing records for 20-30 years, and have that 'old' sound.

I know this will come across as trashing someone's opinion and I'm not trying to, but just want clarification as to 'new'. This thread seems to be more about Swing Band guys saying that BeBob guys are just noise.

When you talk about a player having a voice, to me that means they are instantly recognizable when you hear the first few phrases…
I would say Tremonti is pretty recognizable when I hear his leads. Although, maybe he’s not modern enough since he’s been around awhile.
Honestly one of the first guys that I thought of as well. Both his riffing lead work, at least to me are very recognizable.

Question to the OP, are you looking for new guys, guys under 40, under 30 that have a new sound, or are you looking for new guys that have the old sound, but do it well?

It seems from the responses here that most are just looking for a rehash of what they like (Big Wreck as the example). There is nothing wrong with that, I love guys like Gus G and Kiko L, but both of those guys are over 40 and have been releasing records for 20-30 years, and have that 'old' sound.

I know this will come across as trashing someone's opinion and I'm not trying to, but just want clarification as to 'new'. This thread seems to be more about Swing Band guys saying that BeBob guys are just noise.
Personally I think of new as 5 years old or less. You could stretch it back to 2010. But that is really pushing it.

The age of the performer I don't see as important. If you look at a lot of performances covering a wide range of music styles pop, country, hip hop, rock, funk, etc.... Often there is a very wide range of the age of at the live performances. I have seen it as wide as 20's to near 70 on the same stage together. The age thing only applies to imagine. It is much less a factor in who is actually doing the gigs.

Fair enough, I guess theres a bit of subjectivity here. I actually really like Gus G, the older Firewind records are great and I think I would recognise him. Kiko is more difficult because hes more of a multi sylist, and he plays Megadeth....and for me, Megadeth will always be Marty Friedman and Chris Poland, end of.

I probably wouldnt even put an age tag on it. I have to say (and I might get shit for this) but even someone like Joe Bonamassa....as good as he is, I would struggle to know its him, aside from the Eric Johnson rip off every so often. But George Lynch, I'd hear it almost instantly. Greg Howe, same, Satriani, same, Vai, same, Yngwie, same. Eric Gales...I'd pick him easily, Andy Timmons, Nuno, Petrucci, John Sykes, Gary Moore, Paul Gilbert, Doug Aldrich.

Im not a massive fan of some of these, but I'd know its them.

I guess answer is new guys, who has a distinguishable voice? and Im not saying this is in any way an easy task to undertake.

Personally I think of new as 5 years old or less. You could stretch it back to 2010. But that is really pushing it.

The age of the performer I don't see as important. If you look at a lot of performances covering a wide range of music styles pop, country, hip hop, rock, funk, etc.... Often there is a very wide range of the age of at the live performances. I have seen it as wide as 20's to near 70 on the same stage together. The age thing only applies to imagine. It is much less a factor in who is actually doing the gigs.
yeah, what he said

I don't know about modern and having a voice but the shit I listen to is relevant to me and recognizable to me.

Mastodon
Slipknot
John 5
Tim Mahoney - 311
Brad Millabeats - Tree One Four
John Frusciante - RHCP

All these guys have fresh music

I came to post about Mastodon. Bill’s a fucking riff beast and just this weekend I learned a few of their tunes, goddamn there are some finger-twisters in there! Lots of cool shit with throwing in some open/dissonant notes. I’ve played in drop-C for over 20 years and was getting sick of it, but he’s kind of freshened things up a bit in that tuning for me.

And Brent with all the chicken/hybrid picking stuff and the solos that often hit on the Gilmour thing, dude’s a lunatic but he can play his ass off.

Killer guitar tones all over the place and I LOVE the production on their albums ever since Crack The Skye. They continuously get better with every album for me.

New metal, rock or whatever is objectively garbage and if you disagree you drink soy milk.

Reactions: ccn
After hearing about what douche he is in real life I stopped paying attention to him. But yeah he can play.

Awesome player but his "voice" isn't that much different than a lot of guys in that genre. I would actually say that the voice I do hear is actually an Andy LaRoque vibe but that's LaRoque's vibe right? There are just too many great players now which sort of circles back to my point that there isn't much room for voice when everyone speaks the same language in a variety of tonalities. Voice is Lynch, EVH, RR, Uli Roth, Blackmore , Schenker etc. These guys, you just know it is them the minute they start.

Satchel surprisingly has a bit of a voice. The way he puts things together. But it isn't like the old guard. There was more room for them among other players. Also gear varied a lot.

I came to post about Mastodon. Bill’s a fucking riff beast and just this weekend I learned a few of their tunes, goddamn there are some finger-twisters in there! Lots of cool shit with throwing in some open/dissonant notes. I’ve played in drop-C for over 20 years and was getting sick of it, but he’s kind of freshened things up a bit in that tuning for me.

And Brent with all the chicken/hybrid picking stuff and the solos that often hit on the Gilmour thing, dude’s a lunatic but he can play his ass off.

Killer guitar tones all over the place and I LOVE the production on their albums ever since Crack The Skye. They continuously get better with every album for me.

See, this could be anything...I cant get into it. Drop Tunings, I think of Ty Tabor, and theres probably dudes doing it before him.

See, this could be anything...I cant get into it. Drop Tunings, I think of Ty Tabor, and theres probably dudes doing it before him.

They’re way too proggy/out there as a band to hear one song and decide they’re this or that, IMO. Their earlier music was straight up caveman music with hardly an ounce of melody, now they’re like a modern day 70’s prog rock band.

At the end of the day, I’m rarely looking for someone to reinvent the wheel, I just want to hear good songs that get stuck in my head, killer guitar tones and riffs that make me want to learn them. These guys cover all that ground in spades for me.

Back