PPIMV Splawn QR?

glpg80

Has anyone ever modded their quickrod to have a post phase inverter master volume? Just thinking out loud here. Wondering what it would sound like?

I may be mistaken, but doesn't a PPIMV only work with on a cathode follower circuit? IIRC Splawn uses a plate fed tone stack and uses what would be the cathode follower for a gain stage (I may have all of this way wrong).

I may be mistaken, but doesn't a PPIMV only work with on a cathode follower circuit? IIRC Splawn uses a plate fed tone stack and uses what would be the cathode follower for a gain stage (I may have all of this way wrong).

It’s after the phase inverter so it’s irrelevant of how the tonestack is driven.

It would kill the dynamics of the amp, use the loop volume instead. The problem with a PPIMV is that it affects the negative feedback. At low volume settings, it turns most amps into a mushy, fuzzy mess.... IMO they are only good for knocking a few DB's off a non-master type amp.

I used to use a Scumback DBL attenuator with an early Splawn Quickrod I used to own to knock a few DB's. I found that a much better solution. I don't need one with the 2021 Competition I own.

I'm surprised there haven't been mods developed for the quickrod... the voicing always seemed to be full on "metal" no matter how much gain is used, found it annoying.

I'm surprised there haven't been mods developed for the quickrod... the voicing always seemed to be full on "metal" no matter how much gain is used, found it annoying.
Gear 1 is rock n' roll all day long. I found it in the AC/DC realm, which I consider more hard rock than metal. Gear 2 and 3, yeah, definitely more hot rodded JCM800. I never used gear 3. Owned 2 quick Rods and 2 Competitions, never liked gear 3. To me, I found it unnecessary, really.

I guess I'm the oddball. I dislike Gear 2. Mine pretty much lives on Gear 3 OD1. Gain around noon. Some times 1:00 if I'm feeling froggy. Above 2:00 it starts to mush out.

I guess I'm the oddball. I dislike Gear 2. Mine pretty much lives on Gear 3 OD1. Gain around noon. Some times 1:00 if I'm feeling froggy. Above 2:00 it starts to mush out.
Gear 2 OD1 with a boost pedal is where I lived, but Gear 1 boosted sounded pretty damn good too.

I always use a boost, so there's that. OD3 was too compressed and overly saturated for my tastes. Less raw.

Having owned 4 Splawns over the years - and having played several others that I did not own - I have noticed significant tonal variance from amp to amp with (near) identical settings. I’ve always been able to find a really rewarding tone inside every Splawn I’ve played, but the various Gears and OD settings do not sound the same from amp to amp. My ‘keeper’ is a Fully Loaded 50 Watt QR and I live on 1st Gear, OD-2. Once I have her up to reasonable stage volume, the volume control on the guitar becomes far more ‘active’ than at bedroom level. I do keep a single knob Spark Mini on my board that I punch in and out for certain things, but at a livable rehearsal or stage volume with the power tubes engaged and adding their own compression, the Spark isn’t as noticeable to the overall sound as it is at bedroom levels.

Last edited:
It would kill the dynamics of the amp, use the loop volume instead. The problem with a PPIMV is that it affects the negative feedback. At low volume settings, it turns most amps into a mushy, fuzzy mess.... IMO they are only good for knocking a few DB's off a non-master type amp.

I used to use a Scumback DBL attenuator with an early Splawn Quickrod I used to own to knock a few DB's. I found that a much better solution. I don't need one with the 2021 Competition I own.
Good morning Fusionbeard,
Dude, is that you in your signature picture?
If it is in fact you,
Man, you’d be a helluva main villain guy
(Luther) from the movie The Warriors- the cringy’ leader clinking the bottles-THAT DUDE!!
Instead of Stroh’s & Mickey’s Bigmouth bottles
we will substitute with KT88’s & 6L6’s.
On another note,
You got skills my man!!!!

Last edited:
My 2005 is not particularly a gain monster. So for modern rock tones I have to go with Gear 3. On my amp, I find Gear 2 to be bloated and loose on the bottom end. And my bass knob never gets above 10:00 on any Gear.

Back