Soldano mini sounds decent! Leon Todd demo

Really ? The # 1 complaint by guitarists on EVERY forum is that their amps are way way too loud for bedroom jamming without waking up the entire house .

They don't want to buy an amp that that requires an attenuator just to keep volume levels in check , they want an amp that you can crank and still have controllable volume levels and there is no better than 1 watt amps except the current DSL 1 watt because that one sucks and is a shell of the below amps .

Marshall would sell millions year in year out if they made these year round stock items . Guitarists would have a choice of the JTM, JMP, JCM 800 , JCM 2000 and JVM 1 watt in head and combo versions.

Don't think they sound amazing ? Listen to the below which is the sound of a JMP Plexi 1 watt . Second half of video is the JCM 800 1 watt.

Thats from the new world which is not my world carry on

Really ? The # 1 complaint by guitarists on EVERY forum is that their amps are way way too loud for bedroom jamming without waking up the entire house .

They don't want to buy an amp that that requires an attenuator just to keep volume levels in check , they want an amp that you can crank and still have controllable volume levels and there is no better than 1 watt amps except the current DSL 1 watt because that one sucks and is a shell of the below amps .

Marshall would sell millions year in year out if they made these year round stock items . Guitarists would have a choice of the JTM, JMP, JCM 800 , JCM 2000 and JVM 1 watt in head and combo versions.

Don't think they sound amazing ? Listen to the below which is the sound of a JMP Plexi 1 watt . Second half of video is the JCM 800 1 watt.

Agreed, all manufacturers need to get these into production. Rather than attenuating down completely, remove the need to do that or at least make it minimal. I'd love a 1 watt JMP.

Reactions: ccn
The 1 watters are better than those SS mini heads and if I had to pick I'd rather the 1 watt tube. The downside is they all tend to use preamp type tubes in the power section. It works but nothing beats a pushed el34 or 6L6.

I disagree about those 1 watters. They were way over priced for what they were, imo.
They sounded ok, but still needed some volume to sound decent.
I'd take a higher watt mv amp, or even a Vox Pathfinder over any of the Marshall 1 watts for the $.
These mini ss heads are cool for something cute, collectable and functional for the price of a boutique pedal. I'm sure they're selling like hotcakes.
I won't be surprised to see one on stage in a small club.
Brilliant idea, these lil amps. They're toys for adults.
I'd rather grab some good tubes, for the $.

I disagree about those 1 watters. They were way over priced for what they were, imo.
They sounded ok, but still needed some volume to sound decent.
I'd take a higher watt mv amp, or even a Vox Pathfinder over any of the Marshall 1 watts for the $.
These mini ss heads are cool for something cute, collectable and functional for the price of a boutique pedal. I'm sure they're selling like hotcakes.
I won't be surprised to see one on stage in a small club.
Brilliant idea, these lil amps. They're toys for adults.
I'd rather grab some good tubes, for the $.
EVERYTHING is grossly overpriced . The SC and SV 20 watt studio amps hover around $1800.00 . The # 1 complaint about them is that they are WAY WAY TOO LOUD .

On top of that $1800.00 for the amp alone you now need to buy an expensive attenuator just to tame it's ridiculously loud volume levels . With the 1 watt models you don't need to buy anything else (Which is the way it should be ) , the 1 watt models have a switch on the back that takes the amp down to like 0.1 watts for late night bedroom jamming and they sound absolutely KILLER . Anyone who doesn't believe these 1 watter's sound absolutely incredible watch the video I posted on the previous page. You get the real deal overdriven Plexi sound at TV volume levels .

NOTHING COMPARES and it's why the 1 watters sell for a least DOUBLE the original price used , they are that good. If they were re released they would sell for approx HALF of what an SC or SV 20 would cost which is a huge win for guitarists . Buy a SC or SV 20 watt and you're out about $1800.00 not including tax but wait , you also need to buy a quality attenuator because the effing things are way too loud . You could be out close to 3 K when all you wanted was an amp that you can play at TV volume levels in your bedroom . The player is forced into buying products that are much more powerful and expensive than he wants .

NOT TALKING about the current DSL 1 watt amp , that amp isn't even remotely close to the greatness of the above mentioned amps.

EVERYTHING is grossly overpriced . The SC and SV 20 watt studio amps hover around $1800.00 . The # 1 complaint about them is that they are WAY WAY TOO LOUD .

On top of that $1800.00 for the amp alone you now need to buy an expensive attenuator just to tame it's ridiculously loud volume levels . With the 1 watt models you don't need to buy anything else (Which is the way it should be ) , the 1 watt models have a switch on the back that takes the amp down to like 0.1 watts for late night bedroom jamming and they sound absolutely KILLER . Anyone who doesn't believe these 1 watter's sound absolutely incredible watch the video I posted on the previous page. You get the real deal overdriven Plexi sound at TV volume levels .

NOTHING COMPARES and it's why the 1 watters sell for a least DOUBLE the original price used , they are that good. If they were re released they would sell for approx HALF of what an SC or SV 20 would cost which is a huge win for guitarists . Buy a SC or SV 20 watt and you're out about $1800.00 not including tax but wait , you also need to buy a quality attenuator because the effing things are way too loud . You could be out close to 3 K when all you wanted was an amp that you can play at TV volume levels in your bedroom . The player is forced into buying products that are much more powerful and expensive than he wants .

NOT TALKING about the current DSL 1 watt amp , that amp isn't even remotely close to the greatness of the above mentioned amps.

They sell for more because they were limited and now unobtainable.
The SC20 doesn't need an attenuator. It's plenty quiet in 5 watt mode with effects loop engaged. It's also loud enough to use with a band. I bought a red snakeskin combo for $900, used.
I played through all the 1 watters and owned the JMP. None of them sounded killer, imo.

Not sure why you keep insisting you NEED to buy an attenuator to get good sound at lower levels; unless you're specifically talking about NMV amps. Otherwise a decent master volume will work just fine.

And nothing can compare to the 1 watters in that they can't compete with much else at that price point. A100 watt amp with a master volume will eat that 1 watt Marshall for lunch. On top of that more and more amps (especially the lunchbox style but even the big boys) are coming with some sort of built in power sponge to take them into low wattage. And a number of them are in the price range of the baby Marshalls. That pretty much makes the 1 watters all but obsolete.

I'm not going to argue that they don't have some place to fit and I'm sure some people would sell their mothers for one. But comparatively, there's so many better options out there and the 1 Watt Marshalls just don't measure up in sound or value. Like I said before, it would be neat-ish to see some 1-5 watt tube amps on the market instead of these low watt SS micro amps, but in the end I think they all nothing more than a fun novelty that'll lose it's glamour rather quickly.

I say all of this as someone who took a serious look into these and a number of other low watt tube amps wanting a good tube sound at lower volumes. If I did get one of those low watt amps, after the newness wore off in a few weeks it would have been sitting on a shelf collecting dust. I would have gone right back to my big boys; ultimately realizing I already had great tube sound at low levels with my 100 watt amps and a master volume.

These threads always go the same way.
The good news? We have lots of choices.
Who cares?
Besides, if you can afford a $2,500 fire breathing 100w SLO (or similar) -
You can afford a $250 practice amp/toy/whatever you want to call it.
Different tools for different jobs.

Now if you come in here and tell me that I can sell all of my big amps because a 1 watt will sound AND FEEL exactly the same and that transient frequencies and big iron don't matter I might tell you fuck off OK?

This is why I have a 100w Splawn, a 50w Recto, a 60w hybrid Peavy Vypyr practice amp that has a headphone jack, and 1w Blackheart. They all feel and sound and react different.

The good news? We have lots of choices.
Different tools for different jobs.
This pretty much sums it all up.

Who cares?
And this finishes it off. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink. LOL

60w hybrid Peavy Vypyr practice amp
I converted mine to a head. It can get loud as fuck and slays through a 412

1654862401613.png

^ ha ha

I remember that. I forgot that was yours. It has some sex appeal. I need to consider the head conversion as well. I have my combo sitting in the (unused) fireplace in the basement and that cops some cool frequencies. Nice piece of kit for sure.

K2H9lNCl.jpg

They sell for more because they were limited and now unobtainable.
The SC20 doesn't need an attenuator. It's plenty quiet in 5 watt mode with effects loop engaged. It's also loud enough to use with a band. I bought a red snakeskin combo for $900, used.
I played through all the 1 watters and owned the JMP. None of them sounded killer, imo.

Everyone has an opinion but you're the only one I've ever come across who says the 20 watt Marshalls do not need an attenuator and the 5 watt mode is effective in taming those amps and most of these comments come from the self titled Marshall forum .

All I hear is people complaining that the 5 watt mode is useless because 5 watts is STILL way too loud for bedroom jamming and it is . The fact is 1 watt is too loud for bedroom jamming ONLY the 0.1 watt setting works perfectly for that task.

The video I posted on the previous page is proof how amazing these 1 watt amps sound , it erases all doubts as soon as you hear it .

Listen to the "Running with the devil" and "Jamie's Crying" riff below all on the 0.1 watt setting , if that doesn't sound killer to you than your ears are shot .

All these guys demo'ing the same gear. Gets old. But it still doesn't impress me. I know we all want it to impress us but listen to your inner voice. It simply doesn't do it. Do yourself a favour and swipe left on this one.
These 1/5 watt amps is fucking stupid, buy an acoustic

1. Kapo- its not trying to do "it". its a practice amp in a tonal ballpark. they arent saying its the same, in fact no one is. go find another cloud to yell at. maybe find a marshall origin thread or something,

2, panhead .... well.... if not knowing what you are talking about is meant to be your online persona, well done. if that was meant to be serious,,, maybe take some asprin and a nice big glass of water and lie down a bit.....

Everyone has an opinion but you're the only one I've ever come across who says the 20 watt Marshalls do not need an attenuator and the 5 watt mode is effective in taming those amps and most of these comments come from the self titled Marshall forum .

All I hear is people complaining that the 5 watt mode is useless because 5 watts is STILL way too loud for bedroom jamming and it is . The fact is 1 watt is too loud for bedroom jamming ONLY the 0.1 watt setting works perfectly for that task.

The video I posted on the previous page is proof how amazing these 1 watt amps sound , it erases all doubts as soon as you hear it .

Listen to the "Running with the devil" and "Jamie's Crying" riff below all on the 0.1 watt setting , if that doesn't sound killer to you than your ears are shot .

no he IS correct

the SC, the jcm one, has a great post phase inverter master volume for low volume applications, but it is touchy and i use my jhs black box in the loop like a secondary mV. its preamp circuit has some of the beef and it, just like the big boy jcm, doesnt require loud volume to sound decent,

now..... the SV 20 .... the plexi one, that one at low volumes sounds like someone shook up shit and tequila in an oil can and lit it on fire (all stinky sizzle and treble) ...... UNLESS its heavvvvvvvvily attenuated via speaker load. true to the original circuit it requires power tube distortion to sound good so the effect loop trick doesnt realky work on the SV.

so again, the sc20 jcm = good at lower volumes, the sv20 plexi = needs to be LOUD to get "the" tone

Mine arrived today. I ran it into my Marshall 1936 with Eminence CV-75s. Sounded totally awesome, but likely not loud enough for a band backup. Still, it got me thinking about that classic SLO tone and I am kind of missing my old SLO now. Later on I ran it through the G12-65 in my Marshall 4010 and it didn't sound as good. So I'm wondering if it's worth picking up a 1x12 for this toy. And then I'm wondering if I can really use another SLO 100 often enough to justify the expense, especially when I love my big Marshalls so much. Cool toy though.

Yeah, I'd rather see a 1 or 5 watt mini Slo. That would at least be viable as a small studio amp and probably handle small gigs well. But then the price would be be double if not a little more.
https://www.synergyamps.com/shop/modules/soldano-slo-pre-amp/
just go get the SLO preamp for $3-400 and the SYN1 $4-500 and plug it in to whatever amp u have,,,, problem has been solved for like 4 years now.

and then once u have the SYN1, you can also buy $3-400 preamps from friedman,,,,,,, fryette,,,,, morgan ..... diezel ...... mesa iicp..... the list goes on!

i have a syn1 and syn2 and like 6 or 7 modules (buy em used) and as fsr as im concerned i have several dream amps i would never actually buy running through the el34s of my marshall head. im a huge fan of this analog modularity :)

but i also really am enjoying this little solid state soldano. it sounds dope as far as im concerned

Last edited:
https://www.synergyamps.com/shop/modules/soldano-slo-pre-amp/
just go get the SLO preamp for $3-400 and the SYN1 $4-500 and plug it in to whatever amp u have,,,, problem has been solved for like 4 years now.

and then once u have the SYN1, you can also buy $3-400 preamps from friedman,,,,,,, fryette,,,,, morgan ..... diezel ...... mesa iicp..... the list goes on!

i have a syn1 and syn2 and like 6 or 7 modules (buy em used) and as fsr as im concerned i have several dream amps i would never actually buy running through the el34s of my marshall head. im a huge fan of this analog modularity :)

but i also really am enjoying this little solid state soldano. it sounds dope as far as im concerned

I'm well aware of the synergy modules. I have a couple of SYN2's and a handful of modules; Powerball, Savage, IICP & Pitbull. I'm a big fan of them too. They may not be 100% replications of the real amps, but since they're designed by the actual companies I think of them as a slightly modified version of the amp. So like you, they give me the opportunity to own several amps I may otherwise not buy.

Back