Was Frankenstrat's pickup really a PAF or something else?

Kyrpajyra

Banned
Sorry for venturing into this rabbit hole again, but i'm kinda curious because Eddie's guitar doesn't really sound like a PAF on the first record. I have a PAF clone on my superstrat and it has the typical PAF sound. I don't think Ash body would really alter the sound of a PAF that much compared to alder.

Maybe Eddie's pickup was some sort of a Dimarzio etc?

That dude in the videos, Jim, nails all the details down to the .0010".

Yes, it was believed to be stock PAF at the 1st record then swapped and rewound after that. A low output pickup into a crazy Marshall can be perfect and a heavy swamp ash body will help in that venture.

That dude in the videos, Jim, nails all the details down to the .0010".

Yes, it was believed to be stock PAF at the 1st record then swapped and rewound after that. A low output pickup into a crazy Marshall can be perfect and a heavy swamp ash body will help in that venture.
But it's a really bright and harsh sound. PAFs let a lot of high frequencies thru for sure but Eddie's sound is something else.

But it's a really bright and harsh sound. PAFs let a lot of high frequencies thru for sure but Eddie's sound is something else.
I’ve been actually borrowing from a friend 7 different real PAF’s and none of them are at all harsh or bright. There are lots of misconceptions about how PAF’s really sound. They all sound very warm, rich, midrangey, fat, most lean dark and they are all the furthest thing from being harsh imo. I don’t really get an EVH vibe in these PAF’s fwiw and I even tried them in my Charvel aged nitro San Dimas. If anything they make that guitar sound like a late ‘50’s Les Paul and remind me more of guys famous for using those

Pi

Pickups aside, you have to factor in the JBL speakers on the first album. Those speakers are very harsh/treble forward.
Yes those speakers I’m guessing are probably the biggest thing contributing to that. Not just the JBL’s, but most don’t know also how bright the 20w GB’s can be since the 25 & 30’s are a lot darker

Too many variables introduced in the production side of it all. To really capture or analyze his early tone, go to the bootlegs. Probably the best one from the first tour is Die Laughing. No studio magic there and the tone slays.

I’ve been actually borrowing from a friend 7 different real PAF’s and none of them are at all harsh or bright. There are lots of misconceptions about how PAF’s really sound. They all sound very warm, rich, midrangey, fat, most lean dark and they are all the furthest thing from being harsh imo. I don’t really get an EVH vibe in these PAF’s fwiw and I even tried them in my Charvel aged nitro San Dimas. If anything they make that guitar sound like a late ‘50’s Les Paul and remind me more of guys famous for using those
That's what i'm saying as well. PAFs are not harsh at all and they surely make your guitar sound more like old Gibsons.

Too many variables introduced in the production side of it all. To really capture or analyze his early tone, go to the bootlegs. Probably the best one from the first tour is Die Laughing. No studio magic there and the tone slays.
Yeah, his tone on those early bootlegs is really good. The base of his sound is all there. Ted just took it to another level with the reverb and that outboard gear they used. In the end, Ed’s playing is what really stood out to me when I heard those early records as a teenager.

Most of the tracks on vh1 are the destroyer with a dimarzio distortion or mighty mite copy. I'll let someone else chime in on what pup was supposedly in frankie at the time.
5 songs on the debut feature the Destroyer

Reactions: PDC
Also, if you believe Gaustad (and he makes a really good case for this) then it was a 250k volume pot. So that explains some of the warmth.

Reactions: PDC
Back