thoughts on the Synergy module system??

dstroud

although I’m super happy with my plexi and jcm800 style amps, been thinking of getting that Synergy 1 unit holder and that vai module and run into the fx return of my DSL100. BUT pretty hesitant because live, I’ve always felt systems like that dont work as well as a regular amp. any experiences with these?

They're great units. I have a couple of SYN 2s and Savage, Powerball, Pitbull, & IICP modules and really like them. A big plus is that the branded ones were actually designed by the builders. For instance all the Friedman modules were designed by the man himself. Any of the Synergy branded modules are really good too. I really love the IICP. Another plus is everything is backwards compatible so all the Egnater, Randall, and modded modules will work with the Synergy stuff.

There are a couple of things to note though.
First, you should have reasonable expectations. Meaning don't expect these modules to be a 1 to 1 representation of the actual amps. The Powerball module is not going to sound 100% like an ENGL Powerball. But most do sound pretty close and get you a good 90-95% of the sound or closer to the real amps. I like to think of it as a slightly modified version of amps the modules represent that sound similar and maintain the core tones.

The next thing is that the power amp you run them through has a decent affect on the overall tone. Unless you pull half broken power amp out the garbage it'll sound good through most anything. But you should be aware that the power amp will make it sound slightly different; not bad just different.

Lastly, and I hear this from a lot of synergy owners is prepare yourself for going down the rabbit hole of buying modules. Once you get one it's hard to resist the temptation to get another. Especially if you consider it like getting a bit of a boutique amp at a fraction of the price.

You specifically mentioned the Vai module. Unfortunately I can't help much on that. It's one that I haven't tried yet and is towards the bottom of my list. I haven't heard that one talked about much either. What I can say is of the modules I own and have tried nothing sounded bad. How much I liked it was more a matter of personal taste. I'm an ENGL guy so of course I liked the ENGL modules. IF you don't care for ENGL you probably wouldn't like them much. But that doesn't change that they have the core sound of a solid ENGL amp.

The build quality is really good. And the modules sound really good too, not just good for what they are. If you were wanting to put a modular system together for live use, with the right power amp it is a very viable option. Or even running it through one of your amp's FX loops for something with a different flavor that won't break the bank it would work great too. For most looking in to Synergy the biggest question/concern really becomes what module do you want to start with over anything else.

They're great units. I have a couple of SYN 2s and Savage, Powerball, Pitbull, & IICP modules and really like them. A big plus is that the branded ones were actually designed by the builders. For instance all the Friedman modules were designed by the man himself. Any of the Synergy branded modules are really good too. I really love the IICP. Another plus is everything is backwards compatible so all the Egnater, Randall, and modded modules will work with the Synergy stuff.

There are a couple of things to note though.
First, you should have reasonable expectations. Meaning don't expect these modules to be a 1 to 1 representation of the actual amps. The Powerball module is not going to sound 100% like an ENGL Powerball. But most do sound pretty close and get you a good 90-95% of the sound or closer to the real amps. I like to think of it as a slightly modified version of amps the modules represent that sound similar and maintain the core tones.

The next thing is that the power amp you run them through has a decent affect on the overall tone. Unless you pull half broken power amp out the garbage it'll sound good through most anything. But you should be aware that the power amp will make it sound slightly different; not bad just different.

Lastly, and I hear this from a lot of synergy owners is prepare yourself for going down the rabbit hole of buying modules. Once you get one it's hard to resist the temptation to get another. Especially if you consider it like getting a bit of a boutique amp at a fraction of the price.

You specifically mentioned the Vai module. Unfortunately I can't help much on that. It's one that I haven't tried yet and is towards the bottom of my list. I haven't heard that one talked about much either. What I can say is of the modules I own and have tried nothing sounded bad. How much I liked it was more a matter of personal taste. I'm an ENGL guy so of course I liked the ENGL modules. IF you don't care for ENGL you probably wouldn't like them much. But that doesn't change that they have the core sound of a solid ENGL amp.

The build quality is really good. And the modules sound really good too, not just good for what they are. If you were wanting to put a modular system together for live use, with the right power amp it is a very viable option. Or even running it through one of your amp's FX loops for something with a different flavor that won't break the bank it would work great too. For most looking in to Synergy the biggest question/concern really becomes what module do you want to start with over anything else.
good stuff thanks man!!

I just recently jumped on the Synergy train a few weeks ago and have so far played/own the Uberschall, Fryette UL and IICP modules. These things sound fkn awesome. Disclaimer...you will get different results going straight from SYN-1 or SYN-2 to your computer Vs. plugging into a power amp or amp FX loop to cab. No surprises there I suppose. I suggest getting a dedicated power amp for more consistency. The modules respond differently to the amp you are plugging it into, which also, is to be expected. This is all for the feel and frequency response.

As for the tone of the preamp, these things get REALLY close.

Bogner: I own a rev blue currently and have owned a TJ, which the module is based off of. The character and voicing are dead nuts but the eq response is off as well as the amount of gain available. Way too much compared to the real deal counterparts.

Fryette UL: I've owned quite a few different versions of these amps and know it very well. Steve Fryette nailed this module. My only complaint is no matter what amp FX loop I plugged it into, it was just too bright overall, especially against the real deal amp. The highs and presence were overbearing. However through my friend's Fryette 2/90/2 power amp (which I need one now for myself LOL) it tamed it down and got MUCH closer. It was all there...The feel, the bark, tightness, aggressive high end sparkle was all intact. This is the module that made me a true believer in the Synergy system no doubt.

IICP: I've owned a couple of MKIII's but never a IIC+. I have a friend who had a real one and spent a weekend with it. Does not make me a Mark expert. But this module is badass. Super tight and aggressive. More dry than my MKIII red and blue stripes I've owned however. Also sounds more hifi. Others say more modern and maybe that's the right description but again, I can't 100% accurately compare to a real IIC+. I'm honestly basing the tone more off of the III's I've owned.

I just recently jumped on the Synergy train a few weeks ago and have so far played/own the Uberschall, Fryette UL and IICP modules. These things sound fkn awesome. Disclaimer...you will get different results going straight from SYN-1 or SYN-2 to your computer Vs. plugging into a power amp or amp FX loop to cab. No surprises there I suppose. I suggest getting a dedicated power amp for more consistency. The modules respond differently to the amp you are plugging it into, which also, is to be expected. This is all for the feel and frequency response.

As for the tone of the preamp, these things get REALLY close.

Bogner: I own a rev blue currently and have owned a TJ, which the module is based off of. The character and voicing are dead nuts but the eq response is off as well as the amount of gain available. Way too much compared to the real deal counterparts.

Fryette UL: I've owned quite a few different versions of these amps and know it very well. Steve Fryette nailed this module. My only complaint is no matter what amp FX loop I plugged it into, it was just too bright overall, especially against the real deal amp. The highs and presence were overbearing. However through my friend's Fryette 2/90/2 power amp (which I need one now for myself LOL) it tamed it down and got MUCH closer. It was all there...The feel, the bark, tightness, aggressive high end sparkle was all intact. This is the module that made me a true believer in the Synergy system no doubt.

IICP: I've owned a couple of MKIII's but never a IIC+. I have a friend who had a real one and spent a weekend with it. Does not make me a Mark expert. But this module is badass. Super tight and aggressive. More dry than my MKIII red and blue stripes I've owned however. Also sounds more hifi. Others say more modern and maybe that's the right description but again, I can't 100% accurately compare to a real IIC+. I'm honestly basing the tone more off of the III's I've owned.
thanks for the info man!!

PXL_20220401_023234537.jpg

Have the Bogner XTC module too in my syn30 combol. Nuff said.

i LOVE synergy

most of the modules sound great
the Vai waa actually my least favorite of the 10 or so that ive tried

the SLO, Diezel and Deliverance all bring the ruckus w ultra high gain and dont sound similar as some detractors claim they each sound exactly like j expected them to.

the dirty shirley and 800 and bassman all sound as you would expect as well. i find thess "medium gain" modules are where there are a lot of voicing similarities however thats not surprising as they are iterations of a singular origin, all sound awesome.

the bebb has a great clean channel and the twin channel on the tdlx is super clean as well. tje bassman does a nice warm clean, so even if u use ur main mp for gain, u can add some cleans too

Last edited:
D money!
synergy stuff is pretty cool. i have a randall top boost (vox ac30) and sl+ (hot rod marshall) in my syn 2.

played the vai and it is a weird one. imo a cleanish + lead module (too thick for percussive crunch), which may be perfect for you if you are happy with your mid gain and crunch from the amp.

my comments on uberschall and deliverance:

“Tried the Uberschall, and Deliverance through the loop of a DS head and matching 1x12.

I was surprised at how much I loved the Über crunch! Molten metal oozed from my eyes as I opened and shut the portals to Cern with each squeeze of the fretboard.

My second fave was the Deliverance dirty—-conjuring images of a fat, oily and intimidating elephant seal wildly thundering down a rocky cliff with a tusk-bearing roar of locomotive force, towards a harem of wide-eyed females in heat.

Cleans were meh...”

other modules i will get next are dirty shirley and if a smallbox mates with a sweet steve stevens lead channel, i’m in!

My friend and I were talking about the Synergy gear over beers for a few months. We looked at the Synergy amp website, listened to the demos of the different modules being offered by Synergy, and discussed what we liked or didn't like about the preamp modules. He wanted good tube cleans and Van Halen style high gain tone. I suggested that he should get the Twin/Deluxe and the Soldano preamp modules. He decided to buy the Syn-2 rack module, Twin/Deluxe & Soldano preamp modules, ordered it from Sweetwater Music, and it arrived. He brought it over to my garage, plugged it all into my Mosvalve 500 power amp & Marshall 1936 2x12 cab in stereo. The Synergy preamp modules sounded really good after I tweaked the eq of the preamp modules. I was very impressed with the sound and versatility of the Synergy preamp modules. I would recommend it to anyone who likes having multiple amps in preamp modules that you can swap out in a few minutes.

Guitar George

I wouldn`t be concerned about the live usage other than having to carry around one more unit (the Syn1). It`s not like the tone is going to fall apart with high levels of volume. It`s the job of your poweramp to keep this together.
Think of it as a rack system with dedicated preamps you can switch from, one being the the preamp of your DSL and the other the Synergy. Of course the poweramp is going to be shared and will add it`s own thing to the tone like mentioned before.

For live use, I was thinking of adding a real dedicated clean-channel with the Syn1 to my RevC Dual Rectifier as this amp literally does not have a clean channel. But currently I don`t play live so there`s no need for that.

D money!
synergy stuff is pretty cool. i have a randall top boost (vox ac30) and sl+ (hot rod marshall) in my syn 2.

played the vai and it is a weird one. imo a cleanish + lead module (too thick for percussive crunch), which may be perfect for you if you are happy with your mid gain and crunch from the amp.

my comments on uberschall and deliverance:

“Tried the Uberschall, and Deliverance through the loop of a DS head and matching 1x12.

I was surprised at how much I loved the Über crunch! Molten metal oozed from my eyes as I opened and shut the portals to Cern with each squeeze of the fretboard.

My second fave was the Deliverance dirty—-conjuring images of a fat, oily and intimidating elephant seal wildly thundering down a rocky cliff with a tusk-bearing roar of locomotive force, towards a harem of wide-eyed females in heat.

Cleans were meh...”

other modules i will get next are dirty shirley and if a smallbox mates with a sweet steve stevens lead channel, i’m in!
thanks dude!!

@dstroud I almost forgot... I started a Synergy appreciation thread a bit back. There should be some good extra info in there.

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/thre...-including-mts-egnater-custom-modules.235119/
I haven't had the opportunity to own a real Ultralead so it's good to hear more confirmation that Steven hit it right with the module. Though I don't find the highs or presence overbearing at all. It is bright, but to me it's just the right amount and makes a great contrast to the IICP module I have.

I remember seeing an interview with Steven where he talked about designing the IICP. He talked about taking the best parts & tones from the different revisions of a MKII and blending them together rather than going for an exact copy of a IIC+. In that aspect I think he accomplished his goal and blended it all together perfectly.

@dstroud I almost forgot... I started a Synergy appreciation thread a bit back. There should be some good extra info in there.

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/thre...-including-mts-egnater-custom-modules.235119/

I haven't had the opportunity to own a real Ultralead so it's good to hear more confirmation that Steven hit it right with the module. Though I don't find the highs or presence overbearing at all. It is bright, but to me it's just the right amount and makes a great contrast to the IICP module I have.

I remember seeing an interview with Steven where he talked about designing the IICP. He talked about taking the best parts & tones from the different revisions of a MKII and blending them together rather than going for an exact copy of a IIC+. In that aspect I think he accomplished his goal and blended it all together perfectly.
perfect thanks man!!

I have the T/DLX, the Ecstasy, the BEBB, and SLO.

Fantastic.

I recommend the SYN50 head and quality glass. Clean, edge, crunch, and lead/higher gain tones are all there.

I sold my 20th Anny Ecstasy. That’s how happy I am with it.

I am still romanced by having that one head that is your baby and your tone - I am so tempted by that purple BE in the classifieds. But if you are realistic…this is better.

Just say no. You've already got all the amps and pedals you will need for your style. It does sound good but the real deal are just that little bit better. You will never really get the power amp cooking on the synergy stuff. It is very clean because it is intended for many different circuits. Also, this stuff is a money pit. I like the stuff I have but it can start to sound similar module to module where preamps are concerned.

Just say no?

You could easily apply that to every single bit of gear purchasing.

I think this bit of kit is actually BETTER than my actual Bogner Ecstasies. I’ve owned 5, including 3 20th Anniversaries. Also, 2 Shiva 20ths, a BE100, a Metropoulos 12000, an SLO, a VHT Pitbull. The list goes on.

Do I think the combo is limited? Yes. It sounds good but not perfect. The Syn50 head however is damn near perfect. You absolutely CAN get the power section cooking, but it will be at SLO db levels.

Dave and Bruce and the others in the Synergy/BAD team have KILLED it here. The only thing this lacks is the sexy romance of the individual heads, which I admit is real.

Don’t succumb, however, to the failed logic of the guys who say LP’s sustain better than Telecasters or that going over the tailpiece makes for less string tension. Don’t be that guy. A circuit is a circuit, and there are a very finite amount of things that actually make an audible difference.

Just say no?

You could easily apply that to every single bit of gear purchasing.

I think this bit of kit is actually BETTER than my actual Bogner Ecstasies. I’ve owned 5, including 3 20th Anniversaries. Also, 2 Shiva 20ths, a BE100, a Metropoulos 12000, an SLO, a VHT Pitbull. The list goes on.

Do I think the combo is limited? Yes. It sounds good but not perfect. The Syn50 head however is damn near perfect. You absolutely CAN get the power section cooking, but it will be at SLO db levels.

Dave and Bruce and the others in the Synergy/BAD team have KILLED it here. The only thing this lacks is the sexy romance of the individual heads, which I admit is real.

Don’t succumb, however, to the failed logic of the guys who say LP’s sustain better than Telecasters or that going over the tailpiece makes for less string tension. Don’t be that guy. A circuit is a circuit, and there are a very finite amount of things that actually make an audible difference.

Don't get me wrong, they sound great. But they come up short in my opinion when neck to neck with the real amp. I know in your case you prefer the SYN Ecstacy and that's fine. But dstroud's Marshalls already do what he wants so I was suggesting he not go down the rabbit hole because he will likely just end up back where he started. Also I don't have a SYN amp. I have a Randall RM Lynch box so my experience with the power section will be different. That is a fair point.

Back