How would you ship this?

alund

Hey guys: question regarding shipping a rack mounted tube power amp head and rack preamp. It’s held in a rack case which is solid. But the damn thing is heavy as hell and needs to travel from out of country to middle US. Fortunately a friend of mine picked it up after I paid and he agrees “heavy as hell”. I worry for the obvious. What should you do to pack it? Pull tubes? Individually wrap them ? Shove packing foam in center to prevent the innards from shaking loose? Close the rack case and hope for the best? Thanks in advance.
-Andy

Attachments

• C580AC34-1FFF-4056-9A14-4C7788850FD6.jpeg
    C580AC34-1FFF-4056-9A14-4C7788850FD6.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 31
Definitely the FASTEST METHOD POSSIBLE, to avoid them having the time to destroy anything. It sounds like it will be shipped from another country to the USA, so personally I would pay the extra and try to get it delivered ASAP. Tell your friend to double check everything, and over-pack it, like it was heading to a war zone.

Just throwing out ideas, but you might have him mark their position+ pull the tubes, and then ship them separately. Then mark all four sides of the rack case with arrows (fairly Universal symbolism, lol), and make sure the heavy power amp is mounted tight, to the lowest area in the case.

I’ve done something similar. i pulled the amp and packed all the tubes (wrapped, individually) in a box. Threw the tube box into the Gator and PACKED it with bubble. Threw the Gator into a box. The amp went into its own box with 2” of styro around it and bubble to fill. Wouldn’t think of shipping the amp in the Gator, ever!

I’ve done something similar. i pulled the amp and packed all the tubes (wrapped, individually) in a box. Threw the tube box into the Gator and PACKED it with bubble. Threw the Gator into a box. The amp went into its own box with 2” of styro around it and bubble to fill. Wouldn’t think of shipping the amp in the Gator, ever!
Overkill is key on this one. Thank you.

Lots of bubble wrap packed in and around.
A box.
Easily 100ft or more of bubble wrap around that.
Another giant fucking box.
Fast shipping.

I’d ship the gator rack separately.

I could see it costing $600+

Problem solved.. 1)amp pulled from gator, tubes pulled with individual wrapping and amp extreme bubbled
2) preamp pulled and bubbled
Both boxed separate and brought across the border (declared with law) to UPS store and shipped 2 day. That ought to do it. Not sure I could do it any better unless I drove 1500 miles one way 😕

Back