Just in case there aren’t enough Striped guitars in the world…

Basswood and 2k...???
Its not even accurate as the body was northern ash...

Hard pass...
I can understand cost and availability of an endless run in northern ash, but alder can’t be that much more expensive and ‘generally’ speaking has better and more consistent tonal qualities. I’d also think those small diameter trem screws would live a longer life in alder than balsa - I mean basswood.

Overall, I’m a bit surprised there’s a market for this considering how many exceptionally well built replicas are already in circulation using legit hard ash and AAA Birdseye necks.

I'd been interested in this one because I like the bridge but didn't realize it was basswood. I don't typically mind basswood with the Floyd bushings but basswood with a six-screw trem could be a bad idea?

Reactions: PDC
Yea, the whole striped, tigered, cheesy graphiced, pointy, and neon-colored guitars, were cool for a minute 3 decades ago. Can't live in the past, it's time to move...

I'd been interested in this one because I like the bridge but didn't realize it was basswood. I don't typically mind basswood with the Floyd bushings but basswood with a six-screw trem could be a bad idea?
I've heard horror stories of Floyd bushings digging into bridge pickup cavity on an american basswood body.

I typically hate all that crap and basswood guitars , including a Suhr I had but I have a Frankie that plays great and sounds great. Only thing is it’s such a gimmicky guitar all you want to play is Van Halen tunes .

They dropped the ball with basswood
It’s not like they don’t have ash as it’s used on the Shark
Odd decision

If I was an EVH freak and this was my favorite guitar he played, I'd buy one.
I'm a huge Gary Holt fanboy and always wanted a Rico jr. vixen.
Thanks to a real great guy on this forum,I got one.
Never underestimate the fanboy.

After mahogany, basswood is my favorite wood. Always sounds nice and fat.
Not arguing at all here - observation only. I owned a beautiful mahogany partscaster body and no matter what pickup was in it, it sounded really tubby and undefined down low. Maybe that’s why LPs have that full carved maple top?? My ears tell me the same thing with basswood. I do have an EVH stripe partscaster that sounds pretty darned good, but I think it’s that thick, hard, glossy lacquer finish that helps. FWIW the mahogany partscaster i mentioned above just had an oil finish. Maybe several coats of clear penetrating into the outer grain of the mahogany would have tightened it up?

Last edited:
Not arguing at all here - observation only. I owned a beautiful mahogany partscaster body and no matter what pickup was in it, it sounded really tubby and undefined down low. Maybe that’s why LPs have that full carved maple top?? My ears tell me the same thing with basswood. I do have an EVH stripe partscaster that sounds pretty darned good, but I think it’s that thick, hard, glossy lacquer finish that helps. FWIW the mahogany partscaster i mentioned above just had an oil finish. Maybe several coats of clear penetrating into the outer pores would have tightened it up?
Which bodywood the evh partcaster has? Mahogany, basswood or swamp ash bodies don't work in strats imo. Alder, hard ash or maple for me. 👍

Reactions: PDC
If I was an EVH freak and this was my favorite guitar he played, I'd buy one.
I'm a huge Gary Holt fanboy and always wanted a Rico jr. vixen.
Thanks to a real great guy on this forum,I got one.
Never underestimate the fanboy.
Gary Holt is a breath of fresh air in this world of money grubbing whores, boot lickers, grifters and sellouts! He's a decent human being who just happens to lay to tape some of the most devastating metal known to man...

Uncompromising metal the only way it should be...

"No Lives Matter"

Last edited:
Which bodywood the evh partcaster has? Mahogany, basswood or swamp ash bodies don't work in strats imo. Alder, hard ash or maple for me. 👍
I’ve got one with an EVH basswood body that I had Musikraft build a neck with the longer, funky EVH heel. I then added a Jalen pickup (they are the only pickup manufacturer I’m aware of with the round feet EVH baseplates) a non-fine tuner Floyd and locking tuners with an Earvana compensated nut. That guitar sounds surprisingly good for basswood - and I’m wondering if the heavy paint job soaking into and sealing the open grain of the basswood has anything to do with that. But I agree completely, I much prefer alder, ash, swamp ash, and even maple for a strat build to basswood or poplar, like the old Kramers.

Attachments

• 148202EC-7A9B-48F3-88CC-972FA6F08A62.jpeg
    148202EC-7A9B-48F3-88CC-972FA6F08A62.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 28
Back